What's new

Relocated London Dungeons at County Hall

Ollie

CF Legend
^That won't happen. If you're looking for that then go to The Clink.
The Dungeons is a brand now and one that is known around the world and they need a system to get large numbers of guests round.
Plus I'd much rather what they do now as it makes it into an experience. Kids (and some adults) hate museums and having to read signs to get facts like dates. It engages the audience a lot more and gets more interest if you have actors interacting and still being educated with interesting facts but in a fun and unique way. Add to that the rides and you have a good attraction that keeps the guests interest while making sure queues are kept to a minimum.

Lofty

CF Legend
This is only one of the proposed new locations, they're looking at other venues too. This has been on the cards for a long time now.

They simply want more of a guest throughput, by moving the attraction to this location they would be getting 50pph more than the Tooley Street location would be able to accommodate. They would also have more of a chance for expansion in the new location than in their current.

Plus, if Dungeons go, LBE & LT will sadly slip away from the map. A lot of their attendance is actually brought on by people passing The Dungeons queue and finding something else to do. If the guest passing trade was minimised, LBE & LT won't be as successful, and possibly, may close. This is a fact. Bringing an end to the still on-going feud between Merlin and LBE for good.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I hope it doesn't affect the LBE and LT too badly as it's a really good attraction and they've only just completely changed the whole thing a few months ago and changed 90% of the whole LBE part of the attraction which is much improved and more than the 1 slight scene change the Dungeons do each year. All LBE need to do is advertise. They're in a good spot and it's a good attraction but hardly anyone knows about it unless they happen to walk past it.

Anyway for those that struggle to find the info they want from going through pages and pages of forms and plans here's some screens.

New Entrance:
tumblr_m2a1bpGiFV1qi7900o1_500.jpg

New Extremis ride which is now top loaded and drops 3 floors:
tumblr_m2a1bpGiFV1qi7900o2_500.jpg

New boat ride. People say it's loads shorter than the one before but it looks longer to me:
tumblr_m2a1bpGiFV1qi7900o3_500.jpg

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Some rumours saying that Vengeance defo wont be moving along to County Hall (should this go through)...

So, which Merlin attraction to get it? :p

Ollie

CF Legend
^^In the plans there is a scene called "Rotating Room" or something so it may be that. I can't see why they'd get rid of something that's just over a year old.

coastermad77

Roller Poster
I think that Extremis being loaded at the top is a better! More realistic and more thrilling because you ae dropping into the unknown below :D

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk 2

Ollie

CF Legend
^^I know it wasn't great. But the guests seemed to love it and it was good fun with all the spinning and bits in the dark. The only thing that was poor about it was the guns did bugger all lol.

T0M

Hyper Poster
The Turning Room, I thought that it'd maybe house Vengeance after someone here suggested it, but it isn't going to house it it seems.

The noise report states that it's a walkthrough room and no noise was measured from there. If it were to house Vengeance, it certainly would be relevant to the noise report, as anyone that has experienced the ride will tell you!

It does seem strange that it isn't going to be relocated, but perhaps it is just too noisy.

The guns seemed to be working when I last went in January this year.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ollie said:
Plus I'd much rather what they do now as it makes it into an experience. Kids (and some adults) hate museums and having to read signs to get facts like dates. It engages the audience a lot more and gets more interest if you have actors interacting and still being educated with interesting facts but in a fun and unique way.
I've only been to the Blackpool one, but I think I knew less when I came out than when I went in!

Mark

Strata Poster
Robbie said:
Ollie said:
Plus I'd much rather what they do now as it makes it into an experience. Kids (and some adults) hate museums and having to read signs to get facts like dates. It engages the audience a lot more and gets more interest if you have actors interacting and still being educated with interesting facts but in a fun and unique way.
I've only been to the Blackpool one, but I think I knew less when I came out than when I went in!

^ Lol

To be fair, I have often felt that because of the way they dress it up in performance it loses the educational side of it. It all seems a bit fake rather than them passing on actual historical information. I am not saying that having actors and the such always has this effect, but in the London Dungeon it just comes off as a tad fake and certainly tarnishes any educational value. Some people prefer it the old way, some prefer the new is all.

Hurri

Mega Poster
So Vengeance isn't going with the Dungeons, Merlin have a (fairly crap) spinning dark ride system going spare... Which park recently closed its 4D attraction and now has a large empty 'dark' space?

Thorpe, say hi to Vengeance.

This is speculation but things I've heard coming from the rumour mill seem to point this way. After all, we've all been saying how much Thorpe needs a dark ride, haven't we? I don't think this is quite what the enthusiast community had in mind...

Mark

Strata Poster
Hurri said:
So Vengeance isn't going with the Dungeons, Merlin have a (fairly crap) spinning dark ride system going spare... Which park recently closed its 4D attraction and now has a large empty 'dark' space?

Thorpe, say hi to Vengeance.

This is speculation but things I've heard coming from the rumour mill seem to point this way. After all, we've all been saying how much Thorpe needs a dark ride, haven't we? I don't think this is quite what the enthusiast community had in mind...

Oh god... Nemesis Inferno: Sub-Terra anyone?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
After the reactions to sub terra, I somehow doubt merlin will try another dark ride with the uk audience any time soon. Especially not Thorpe, surely? A dark ride for Thorpe could not be less appropriate, especially such low capacity.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well, it's certainly the public at fault for not liking Sub-Terra, not the complete botch job they made of it :roll:

Mark

Strata Poster
I dunno Joey.

The demographic they aim at loves the horror themes, the horror walkthroughs and so on. If they were to dress this thing up like that, it COULD be successful. They can't be all too bothered about some low capacity rides... they got Storm Surge.

Ollie

CF Legend
If Thorpe do get it they need to change it and make it much more scary and include all the effects that are on the one in this video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhKTSgrwo-A[/youtube]

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Well, it's certainly the public at fault for not liking Sub-Terra, not the complete botch job they made of it
I didn't mean it like that at all, Hex is the same. I don't think it would matter if it was the best dark ride in the world (which it won't be), people would still be far, far less impressed than they would be with a thrill ride. And I think, since most of Thorpe's audience won't have ever ridden a decent dark ride, getting them on it to begin would be a struggle.

And of course, you're point is irrelevant really, since what's the chance of a dark ride for Thorpe being of a standard above Sub Terra?

The demographic they aim at loves the horror themes, the horror walkthroughs and so on. If they were to dress this thing up like that, it COULD be successful. They can't be all too bothered about some low capacity rides... they got Storm Surge.
Has Saw alive done that well? I didn't think so. It's only open on peak days now, and I can't say it's ever got a queue. As for Storm Surge, touche. I forget it exists. Or I try to. YOU'RE NOT HELPING.

Ya know what, forget what I said, it will happen because it makes no ounce of sense, you're right.

Ben

CF Legend
The one in that video somehow has managed to look worse than Vengance...

Didn't even think that was possible tbh...

It's a shame, these have a lot of potential to be quite good if only they were done well...

Not that one at Thorpe would work...