What's new

RCT3 Help, Information and Requests

A

Anonymous

I don't think its a pc issue. The latptop I'm running it on far far exceeds the minimum requirements to run the darn game. I'm not at home atm, but when I get home I can post my system specs. Games that just come out on the market run very smoothly and nicely with high frame rates on it.

I believe it does have a newer intel gfx card. Could it be a compatability issue?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
If it's an Intel GFX card, then you've immediately got alarm bells ringing for me. Intel produce very poor graphics cards compared to nVidia and ATI.

My PC is probably 4 or 5 times the power of the required specification (it's a gaming rig, but getting a little old now at 18 months). It struggles with frame rate issues at night time too. I can run it at full everything (in 1280x1024 resolution) in daylight and get around 25 frames per second.

At night, that drops to maybe 10 frames per second.

So even on a fine tuned gaming rig, which also runs the latests games in decent resolutions smoothly, I get a poor frame rate at night, and have to modify my graphics settings (well, I just avoid night time to be honest :lol: )

A

Anonymous

Darnit, I forgot to check what kind of gfx card it was while I was at home. Well, it is a Dell so I'll grab the specs off their website.

Its a Dell XPS:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7600G (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

Ok, so its nVidia. And it still chunks up at 'night'. I can run it fine at the highest widescreen resolution during the day scenes, but the night scenes really chunk up.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Your PC is pretty much the same spec as mine, there's very little difference in it to be honest.

However, you graphics card is the cut back portable version of the graphics card my PC originally had. Laptop GFX cards tend to always be stripped back, because they eat so much power and generate so much heat. So they're generally reigned in to work in a laptop environment.

That model is "good enough", just as my old card was in my PC. It wasn't good enough though for me as a gamer, so I spent a couple of hundred quid 6 months back on a new one which works as described above.

My old card worked fine in daytime mode too (just not to the same high standards as my new one, but also died at night. It's just purely due to the extra strain all the extra light sources put on the GFX card. All you can do is pull the GFX settings down so it runs fine in the dark, and suffer it being ugly, or suffer a slow night time frame rate.

marc

CF Legend
I would love to be able to run the game in night time mode but it completly kills my pc :( is anyone able to run night time mode.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info Furie. I have to admit, I'm not up on the current standard for gfx cards for laptops. Can you recommend one or a site that I can compare and contrast them?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You can't generally change the GFX card in a laptop. I've never seen one, but I only tend to see fairly cheap laptops, it's not something I've ever heard of though I'm afraid.

The biggest issue is that the technology moves incredibly quickly, so comparison sites get out of dat e very quickly, and just don't cut it (I had to spend 2 hours or so researching before I chose my new GFX card, and it was hard work :lol: ).

A

Anonymous

Well hm. I made a discovery tonight. Its only scenarios that have water in them at night that lag my framerate. So its not the night thing, its water at night. Odd.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sirene said:
Well hm. I made a discovery tonight. Its only scenarios that have water in them at night that lag my framerate. So its not the night thing, its water at night. Odd.

Try turning off reflections then. If it is trying to draw the lights, shadows AND then them all again in reflections, you're doubling the power required.

Tony

Hyper Poster
Well I have had RCT3 for ages now but dont play it much because it runs slow on my computer and I have to play it with the settings low which annoys me but since i'm getting a new laptop on Thursday i'll be able to play it with all the settings to full and with the game running fast etc.

So heres my question, am I never learned how to make water fall so how do I?

Thanks

Rush

Giga Poster
Sorry if this has been asked before...

If a file gets corrupted, is there any way of restoring it somehow?

kimahri

CF Legend
Rush said:
Sorry if this has been asked before...

If a file gets corrupted, is there any way of restoring it somehow?

Of a file gets corrupted just go into my documents then the rct3 folder. there should be a folder in there called "start new scenarios," and all of the park files are there and there back ups.

first what you do is RENAME the corrupted file. it will be the name of your park followed by .DAT then go to your back up file (.DAT.BAK) and delete the .BAK now finally delete you corrupted file. your new file will be 1 save behind your corrupted file

from what I've found out corrupted files happen becuase you saved the game before it's finished scanning

hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Dose anyone know to why I'm unable to install RCT3 Soaked on my PC, I have installed RCT3 which I use quite a bit, but then when I go to install RCT3 Soaked it tells me to install RCT3 first, and it is already on the PC.

Sorry if that is confusing, I will explain it a bit more clearly if so.

A

Anonymous

Sorry if this has been asked before but how can I do this in my parks:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u167 ... ot0028.jpg

I'm mainly talking about the lights Justin used on his shops. I want to be able to do those round my new park, and don't know where to get them from.

Also, how do I install stuff like this into my game?

Thanks,
Adz

Snoo

The Legend
Go to the Atari forums and look around for lights in the Custom Scenery forum.

Really, that forum has all your answers.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yuo need to build it into a 'wall' essentially. Raise a block of land up, or lower one, so the there's a flat wall. It has to be quite high though. Then the path will automatically change to go under ground.

You DO need either Soaked or Wild though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I feel like writing a guide on it :D

Maybe tonight if I get a chance :)