What's new

Rank the Alton Towers coasters

Trax

1. Wicker Man The ride itself would rank much lower, but the experience is really great. I love the smell in the station and the fire effects (if they are working). The ride itself starts of good, but it shows its target audience very soon. Still a great experience, and my favorite ride at the park
  2. TH13Teen another family coaster on a high spot - I still enjoy this ride, even though it is not an intense one. The drop track is amazing, the layout is fun and I really like the speed the drive tires give you - you might even consider this a launch coaster.
  3. Galactica - I was actually suprised, how good this ride felt. Allthough it is a little bit slow (which appears to be a common theme in the park). I really like the part on your back. Overall a good ride.
  4. The Smiler I really want to like this one more, but I can't put it any higher. The theme is cool and different, I love the soundtrack and it's just great to look at. It's roughness is ok, and even it's inversions don't feel half as forced as Collosus' Quad Heartline roll. However, as I am quite tall, the OTSRs are just the dealbreaker. They are good OSTRs, but still hurt and are way too restrictive. Smiler + Infinity 2 Trains would be great, but I don't see it coming in the future. a) this would cost money and b) would generate happy customers, which is a thing that Merlin tries to avoid. Imagine people getting back to your park!
  5. Oblivion -The definition of a one trick pony. But the drop really feels good and is quite fun
  6. Rita Yes it's short and has not the best layout. But it's intense. But the OSTRs are also a major dealbreaker for me.
  7. Nemesis Here it is, the mighty and all hyped up Nemesis. As you can guess by it's position, I was extremely disappointed. It started of interesting and fun, went into the great helix after the first corkscrew, pulled great forces upon enterin the zero g and then slows down not one, but two gears. The rest of the layout feels about as intense as Th13teen, but with OTSRs. I really can't understand the hype. I much prefer Nemesis Inferno, which keeps it's decent intensity over the whole layout, making it the (in my opinion) far better and consistent ride.
  8. Spinball Whizzer One of the better spinning coasters. I enjoyed it, but due to its capacity, I only rode it once during my 2 day visit.
  9. Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure It's supposed to be a Kiddie-Coaster, and it's a quite good one.
  10. Runaway Mine Train Not terrible, but one of those rides which was so forgettable, that I just can't remember anything more than riding it.

I have to admit that the whole park was really disappointing to me. No attraction really stood out as the signature ride, most of the attractions were decent, a few good, but nothing really outstanding. I will be back there at some day to give it a second chance (maybe when they open SC9 somewhere in the future), but I don't miss it at this point in time. Most coasters are quite close together, with a bigger gap between 3 and 4. If I had to describe Alton Towers lineup, I'd call it "not great, not terrible".

Dante2k

1. Wicker Man The ride itself would rank much lower, but the experience is really great. I love the smell in the station and the fire effects (if they are working). The ride itself starts of good, but it shows its target audience very soon. Still a great experience, and my favorite ride at the park
  2. TH13Teen another family coaster on a high spot - I still enjoy this ride, even though it is not an intense one. The drop track is amazing, the layout is fun and I really like the speed the drive tires give you - you might even consider this a launch coaster.
  3. Galactica - I was actually suprised, how good this ride felt. Allthough it is a little bit slow (which appears to be a common theme in the park). I really like the part on your back. Overall a good ride.
  4. The Smiler I really want to like this one more, but I can't put it any higher. The theme is cool and different, I love the soundtrack and it's just great to look at. It's roughness is ok, and even it's inversions don't feel half as forced as Collosus' Quad Heartline roll. However, as I am quite tall, the OTSRs are just the dealbreaker. They are good OSTRs, but still hurt and are way too restrictive. Smiler + Infinity 2 Trains would be great, but I don't see it coming in the future. a) this would cost money and b) would generate happy customers, which is a thing that Merlin tries to avoid. Imagine people getting back to your park!
  5. Oblivion -The definition of a one trick pony. But the drop really feels good and is quite fun
  6. Rita Yes it's short and has not the best layout. But it's intense. But the OSTRs are also a major dealbreaker for me.
  7. Nemesis Here it is, the mighty and all hyped up Nemesis. As you can guess by it's position, I was extremely disappointed. It started of interesting and fun, went into the great helix after the first corkscrew, pulled great forces upon enterin the zero g and then slows down not one, but two gears. The rest of the layout feels about as intense as Th13teen, but with OTSRs. I really can't understand the hype. I much prefer Nemesis Inferno, which keeps it's decent intensity over the whole layout, making it the (in my opinion) far better and consistent ride.
  8. Spinball Whizzer One of the better spinning coasters. I enjoyed it, but due to its capacity, I only rode it once during my 2 day visit.
  9. Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure It's supposed to be a Kiddie-Coaster, and it's a quite good one.
  10. Runaway Mine Train Not terrible, but one of those rides which was so forgettable, that I just can't remember anything more than riding it.

I have to admit that the whole park was really disappointing to me. No attraction really stood out as the signature ride, most of the attractions were decent, a few good, but nothing really outstanding. I will be back there at some day to give it a second chance (maybe when they open SC9 somewhere in the future), but I don't miss it at this point in time. Most coasters are quite close together, with a bigger gap between 3 and 4. If I had to describe Alton Towers lineup, I'd call it "not great, not terrible".
I am desperate to ride the smiler, I actually like coasters that are a bit rough but looking at some reviews it is hit and miss how it rides.

Matt N

Sorry to bump the thread, but mine has changed quite a bit since I last did it, so may as well post my new ranking:
  1. Wicker Man - I loved Wicker Man in 2018, and it was one of my biggest positive surprises ever when I first got off it on its opening weekend. But little did I know that I was in for yet another big shock when I rerode in July 2020, because the whole ride felt like it had been turned up a notch since 2018! The pacing, while fantastic in 2018, was absolutely impeccable in 2020; the whole ride definitely felt fast throughout, and sections of it were absolutely frantic! A ride that didn’t have an awful lot of airtime in 2018 had quite a few nice pops in 2020, some of which were pretty strong! Remarkably, the ride also managed to do this while also staying relatively smooth (by wooden coaster standards) and comfortable, and a combination of its rerideability and its pacing and airtime meant that even though I only had 2 rides, I would quite happily have sat on it all day! On the whole, Wicker Man is just the coaster that keeps on giving for me; my favourite at Alton Towers by a considerable distance, and hot on Icon’s heels for the title of my favourite UK coaster! 10/10, #3 overall
  2. Galactica - Galactica may not be the most intense coaster in the world, but it wasn’t designed to be; I personally love the experience it offers! It’s such a fun, smooth ride, while also keeping pretty consistent pace through the layout, and the feeling of flying is quite unlike anything else! On the whole, while Galactica isn’t the most intense, crazy, fast-paced coaster in the world, it is smooth, fun, and genuinely just a really nice ride that seems to grow on me every time I ride it! 8/10, #14 overall
  3. Oblivion - I was not that fussed on Oblivion the first time I rode it back in 2013, but like Galactica above, it grows on me every time I ride it! Between it and SheiKra at Busch Gardens Tampa, which I absolutely adore, I’ve grown to really like B&M Dive Coasters as a model, and while Oblivion may not be a huge behemoth with a wide variety of elements like SheiKra is, it does what it says on the tin for me; the drop is fantastic, and gives you such a rush! Overall, while Oblivion may have a very short ride duration, it proves that it’s not length that really matters, but what you do with that length! 8/10, #16 overall
  4. Nemesis - I do enjoy Nemesis, but I don’t rate it anywhere near as highly as most do anymore. However, instead of dwelling on my main gripes with it, which I’ll come to later, I’ll start with the positives. It’s got a very unique layout, and it’s an absolute feat of engineering in terms of how Wardley & B&M crammed it into that pit; it almost feels like it shouldn’t exist! Bits of it also pack a real punch; the helix is very intense (almost toeing the line of enjoyable intensity for me), but one thing I do like is that the coaster doesn’t expose you to high positive g’s for too long at once, so while it has very intense sections, they’re short enough that they don’t blow your head off and make you feel really ill, which I like. However, I do definitely have gripes with Nemesis. My first one is that it isn’t the smoothest of coasters compared to some other B&Ms I’ve been on, even ones of a similar sort of age; while I wouldn’t go as far as to call Nemesis rough, it’s definitely not particularly smooth, as there are a few places in the layout that induce somewhat painful headbanging; the zero-g roll and the corkscrews are a little bit jolty, in my opinion, and it does detract from my enjoyment of the ride when I come off with sore ears. It’s definitely a fierce coaster, in my opinion, and one of the rougher B&Ms I’ve ridden. My other gripe with Nemesis is that I do not think it is the strongest paced of coasters; there are 1 or 2 notable dead spots in the layout, with the most notable being the turnaround after the vertical loop, which I’ve seen it nearly stall trying to go into on some of my rides. I personally prefer coasters that offer a nice level of g-force and speed consistently throughout, such as Inferno, for example, so while Nemesis’ helix is probably more intense than any individual section of Inferno, for example, I think Inferno maintains a comfortable level of speed and g-force throughout, so I do personally prefer it for that reason. Still, Nemesis is a definite Alton Towers icon, and one of the most unique and admirable coasters in the UK! 7/10, #21 overall
  5. Thirteen - Thirteen may not be “the ultimate rollercoaster” that it was marketed as back in 2010, but it is a fun family roller coaster, in my opinion! There are actually some nice pops of airtime, in my opinion, and it’s blissfully smooth; Intamin & Alton Towers have done a wonderful job on making sure that Thirteen aged well! The ride’s key trick is also very well executed, in my opinion, and the backwards section packs a surprising punch! Overall, if you go down to the woods today, you’ll be sure to get an enjoyable ride out of Thirteen! 6/10, #22 overall
  6. Runaway Mine Train - Runaway Mine Train will always be a special coaster to me, being one of my first ever roller coasters! But even excluding my attachment to it, it is still a pretty great family ride, in my opinion! It has a nice pace to it for a family ride, with sections of it being surprisingly intense; the second helix has no business being on a family coaster! Overall, Runaway Mine Train, while nothing earth-shattering to us enthusiasts, has a really wide appeal, with everyone who rides it seeming to come off with a smile on their face, and surely that’s the most important thing of all? Choo Choo! 6/10, #26 overall
  7. Spinball Whizzer - Spinball Whizzer is a solid family coaster, in my opinion, but I find it a bit too jerky to rank it really highly. The layout is very good, however, and intensity-wise, I think it’s a good stepping-stone coaster! 4/10, #43 overall
  8. Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure - Octonauts is a good coaster for the younger kids, but I can’t really say an awful lot more than that. It’s quite smooth, and the theming is very nice, I suppose, with a good water effect! 4/10, #49 overall
  9. The Smiler - Smiler is a novel idea, and I think the layout is a brilliant one given the space on offer and the intention of the designers, but I personally find it too rough to really enjoy these days. Most of the elements nowadays have some sort of jolt in them that makes me bang my head against the back of the seat every time, and there’s a very noticeable and persistent vibration. It often makes my head hurt when I get off it, and in all honesty, I’m not really sure if it’s my kind of coaster these days. It’s a wonderful coaster to watch, however! 3/10, #56 overall
  10. Rita - Rita has a great launch, but I seem to remember the rest of the layout being very rough. I admittedly haven’t ridden since April 2016, however; I definitely need a new perspective on it. I think I might go back on it next time I visit Towers. 3/10, #58 overall
I should probably point out that the score out of 10 is on my overall spectrum of enjoyment, and some of the rides would score far more highly on an individual basis (i.e. against similar rides). I should also point out that I have been on a total of 72 different roller coasters, so the overall ranking is out of 72.

Matt N

Sorry to bump the thread, but mine has changed quite a bit since I last did it, so may as well post my new ranking:
  1. Wicker Man - I loved Wicker Man in 2018, and it was one of my biggest positive surprises ever when I first got off it on its opening weekend. But little did I know that I was in for yet another big shock when I rerode in July 2020, because the whole ride felt like it had been turned up a notch since 2018! The pacing, while fantastic in 2018, was absolutely impeccable in 2020; the whole ride definitely felt fast throughout, and sections of it were absolutely frantic! A ride that didn’t have an awful lot of airtime in 2018 had quite a few nice pops in 2020, some of which were pretty strong! Remarkably, the ride also managed to do this while also staying relatively smooth (by wooden coaster standards) and comfortable, and a combination of its rerideability and its pacing and airtime meant that even though I only had 2 rides, I would quite happily have sat on it all day! On the whole, Wicker Man is just the coaster that keeps on giving for me; my favourite at Alton Towers by a considerable distance, and hot on Icon’s heels for the title of my favourite UK coaster! 10/10, #3 overall
  2. Galactica - Galactica may not be the most intense coaster in the world, but it wasn’t designed to be; I personally love the experience it offers! It’s such a fun, smooth ride, while also keeping pretty consistent pace through the layout, and the feeling of flying is quite unlike anything else! On the whole, while Galactica isn’t the most intense, crazy, fast-paced coaster in the world, it is smooth, fun, and genuinely just a really nice ride that seems to grow on me every time I ride it! 8/10, #14 overall
  3. Oblivion - I was not that fussed on Oblivion the first time I rode it back in 2013, but like Galactica above, it grows on me every time I ride it! Between it and SheiKra at Busch Gardens Tampa, which I absolutely adore, I’ve grown to really like B&M Dive Coasters as a model, and while Oblivion may not be a huge behemoth with a wide variety of elements like SheiKra is, it does what it says on the tin for me; the drop is fantastic, and gives you such a rush! Overall, while Oblivion may have a very short ride duration, it proves that it’s not length that really matters, but what you do with that length! 8/10, #16 overall
  4. Nemesis - I do enjoy Nemesis, but I don’t rate it anywhere near as highly as most do anymore. However, instead of dwelling on my main gripes with it, which I’ll come to later, I’ll start with the positives. It’s got a very unique layout, and it’s an absolute feat of engineering in terms of how Wardley & B&M crammed it into that pit; it almost feels like it shouldn’t exist! Bits of it also pack a real punch; the helix is very intense (almost toeing the line of enjoyable intensity for me), but one thing I do like is that the coaster doesn’t expose you to high positive g’s for too long at once, so while it has very intense sections, they’re short enough that they don’t blow your head off and make you feel really ill, which I like. However, I do definitely have gripes with Nemesis. My first one is that it isn’t the smoothest of coasters compared to some other B&Ms I’ve been on, even ones of a similar sort of age; while I wouldn’t go as far as to call Nemesis rough, it’s definitely not particularly smooth, as there are a few places in the layout that induce somewhat painful headbanging; the zero-g roll and the corkscrews are a little bit jolty, in my opinion, and it does detract from my enjoyment of the ride when I come off with sore ears. It’s definitely a fierce coaster, in my opinion, and one of the rougher B&Ms I’ve ridden. My other gripe with Nemesis is that I do not think it is the strongest paced of coasters; there are 1 or 2 notable dead spots in the layout, with the most notable being the turnaround after the vertical loop, which I’ve seen it nearly stall trying to go into on some of my rides. I personally prefer coasters that offer a nice level of g-force and speed consistently throughout, such as Inferno, for example, so while Nemesis’ helix is probably more intense than any individual section of Inferno, for example, I think Inferno maintains a comfortable level of speed and g-force throughout, so I do personally prefer it for that reason. Still, Nemesis is a definite Alton Towers icon, and one of the most unique and admirable coasters in the UK! 7/10, #21 overall
  5. Thirteen - Thirteen may not be “the ultimate rollercoaster” that it was marketed as back in 2010, but it is a fun family roller coaster, in my opinion! There are actually some nice pops of airtime, in my opinion, and it’s blissfully smooth; Intamin & Alton Towers have done a wonderful job on making sure that Thirteen aged well! The ride’s key trick is also very well executed, in my opinion, and the backwards section packs a surprising punch! Overall, if you go down to the woods today, you’ll be sure to get an enjoyable ride out of Thirteen! 6/10, #22 overall
  6. Runaway Mine Train - Runaway Mine Train will always be a special coaster to me, being one of my first ever roller coasters! But even excluding my attachment to it, it is still a pretty great family ride, in my opinion! It has a nice pace to it for a family ride, with sections of it being surprisingly intense; the second helix has no business being on a family coaster! Overall, Runaway Mine Train, while nothing earth-shattering to us enthusiasts, has a really wide appeal, with everyone who rides it seeming to come off with a smile on their face, and surely that’s the most important thing of all? Choo Choo! 6/10, #26 overall
  7. Spinball Whizzer - Spinball Whizzer is a solid family coaster, in my opinion, but I find it a bit too jerky to rank it really highly. The layout is very good, however, and intensity-wise, I think it’s a good stepping-stone coaster! 4/10, #43 overall
  8. Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure - Octonauts is a good coaster for the younger kids, but I can’t really say an awful lot more than that. It’s quite smooth, and the theming is very nice, I suppose, with a good water effect! 4/10, #49 overall
  9. The Smiler - Smiler is a novel idea, and I think the layout is a brilliant one given the space on offer and the intention of the designers, but I personally find it too rough to really enjoy these days. Most of the elements nowadays have some sort of jolt in them that makes me bang my head against the back of the seat every time, and there’s a very noticeable and persistent vibration. It often makes my head hurt when I get off it, and in all honesty, I’m not really sure if it’s my kind of coaster these days. It’s a wonderful coaster to watch, however! 3/10, #56 overall
  10. Rita - Rita has a great launch, but I seem to remember the rest of the layout being very rough. I admittedly haven’t ridden since April 2016, however; I definitely need a new perspective on it. I think I might go back on it next time I visit Towers. 3/10, #58 overall
I should probably point out that the score out of 10 is on my overall spectrum of enjoyment, and some of the rides would score far more highly on an individual basis (i.e. against similar rides). I should also point out that I have been on a total of 72 different roller coasters, so the overall ranking is out of 72.
After a visit in September and a general bit of thought, I have a few updates to make to my list, including one that may be particularly eyebrow-raising based on the general opinion of this ride, including my own past opinions...
  1. Wicker Man - no change. (10/10, #3 overall)
  2. Rita - I can hear the gasps from here, and honestly, given that I never used to be a fan of this ride, I was equally surprised when I got off after my most recent ride! I recently decided to re-ride Rita for the first time since April 2016, and before riding, I was not anticipating an enjoyable experience. However, it was very good fun, and I would definitely have gone round again had the queue been shorter! The ride is absolutely supercharged from start to finish, with a great launch to kick things off, and there’s some very good airtime in places! Best of all, the rough ride I remembered was gone; there was a very small rattle, but I didn’t mind as the ride was not painful in the slightest! I was bracing for rough transitions, but they never came, and I frankly couldn’t be more glad! I think the harnesses are still a minor niggle (without them, I think it could quite possibly hit my top 10), but they don’t bother me anywhere near as much as they used to. Overall, Rita massively went up in my estimations after my recent ride, and I certainly hope it’s less than 4.5 years before my next ride! (8/10, #15 overall)
  3. Oblivion - Oblivion was another one I hadn’t ridden in a while, and I don’t know why, as I really like it! My recent ride was no exception; it seems to be one of those coasters that grows on me with every ride, and I absolutely loved what the ride had to offer! The sheer sensation of speed in the tunnel was tremendous, and the drop had some excellent sustained airtime! Oblivion may only have one main trick, but I think it’s one that it executes very well, personally! (8/10, #16 overall)
  4. Galactica - no change. (7/10, #21 overall)
  5. Thirteen - I’ve always enjoyed Thirteen for what it is; even though I don’t find it to be the world’s most intense coaster, I think it’s a very good family coaster that’s very smooth and has some clever tricks up its sleeves! I must admit that it felt a little slower on my recent visit, but that didn’t really take away from it too much for me, and I decided to elevate it above Nemesis for the raw fun factor it consistently provides! (6/10, #24 overall)
  6. Nemesis - no change. (6/10, #25 overall)
  7. Runaway Mine Train - no change. (6/10, #27 overall)
  8. Spinball Whizzer - no change. (4/10, #44 overall)
  9. Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure - no change. (4/10, #50 overall)
  10. The Smiler - no change. (3/10, #57 overall)
P.S. Sorry for double posting!

Heth

1. Wicker Man - I think the whole experience on this really elevates the ride.
2. Nemesis - just a great ride with a unique setting.
3. Oblivion - I really enjoy the simplicity of a big drop.
4. Th13teen - I love the ride, but what prevents it from being higher is the extent of the trimming on that first drop. Really kills it.
5. Rita - it's fine, but a great launch
6. Galactica - my favourite flyer, but it's still just fine
7. Smiler - actually loved this when I first rode it, but with age it makes me nauseous (same for all rides tbh). I would rank it between Nemesis and Oblivion if going purely on how much I recall enjoying it in 2014, but I can't justify putting it up there given I've not ridden it recently.
8. Spinball - good fun
9. Runaway Mine Train - ok I guess

Nitefly

1. Nemesis - this is easily the best in the park to the point where I subjectively think it’s an objective fact (...?) - the section from the start of the first inversion to the end of the second must surely be one of the most intense sections on any ride? Consistently excellent.

2. Smiler - you can legitimately bash it for roughness but the concept, length and wacky theme carry the ride passed its obvious negative. As awful as it sounds, I think Alton may have a small part of them (the secret, hidden part of you that you don’t share with even your loved ones) that is glad for the accident. Because of that accident, it is perhaps the most ominous ride in the world and that stain of unpleasantness somehow quietly adds to its appeal (in the same way that we are morbidly fascinated with murder mysteries and haunted houses).

3. Wickerman - really quite a drop down from the other two above. A fun ride that fails to truly excel at any particularly thing on a global scale, but remains a fun adventure in its own right.

4. Oblivion - this was a huge spectacle when it opened and yet it has now been succeeded and dwarfed on the global stage to be a mere one trick pony. Outdated and simple, but it can still pack a thrill.

5. Sonic Spinball - far more thrilling and fun that it’s ‘family ride’ label would have you believe. Guarantees a smile, more so than the megadrive game could ever provide.

6. Runaway mine train - a well themed and fun romp with some fair force going into that tunnel.

7. Rita - a genuinely thrilling launch preceding a supremely underwhelming layout. Awkwardly themed and loved by few. Ranked low for not warranting any sort of queue, certainly not the queue times it seems to command.

8. Th13teen - a ride that is merely ‘there’. Horrible scaffolding makes it look cheap and unfinished, blighting the wider experience. Confusing non-sensical theming (in relation to the ride experience) and a twist with little post-reveal appeal. Did you ever see that M. Night Shyamalan film ‘The Village’? Yeah.

9. Air - outdated and uncomfortable. A precursor for greater things. Ultimately beige and rather sexless; one may struggle to become aroused if he/she has ridden Air in recent times. The ‘airing cupboard’ of Alton Towers.

Last edited: