What's new

Rainbow Magicland opens

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hurrah! The gorgeous looking Rainbow Magicland opened on Thursday. I've managed to track down some images and a report on parksmania.it.

In a nutshell; ribbon cutting, dancers minced on stage, major rides didn't open, park expected to fully open in late June.

DSC00635%20rainbow%20magicland%20250511.JPG

DSC00662%20rainbow%20magicland%20250511.JPG

DSC00683%20rainbow%20magicland%20250511.JPG

For more images see: http://www.parksmania.it/parco_news.php ... 6&lang=ita

Google translation of page:
We publish some pictures of the inauguration was held May 25, 2011 near the outlet of the Fashion District Valmontone. Present at Taini Giuseppe and Gianni Petrucci, managing director and honorary president of Alpha Park, Renata Polverini, president of the Lazio region, Egidio Calvo, mayor of Valmontone, Sen. Cutrufo Mauro, deputy mayor of Rome and many other authorities have intervened on stage after the inaugural show, curated by Artistic Director Paul Lanfredini.

Godmother of the evening was Anna Falchi, accompanied by Roman actor Claudio Amendola. After the usual ribbon-cutting ceremony, the park has finally opened to the public and has been invaded by thousands of visitors eager to try out the attractions remained open till 22; The day ended with a wonderful fireworks show.

The park is still in early stage and it is clear that we have wanted at all costs several months ago to fix a date for the opening well without having calculated the time required to complete the work fully. E 'therefore impossible to make a full review, which we refer to when the whole park will be fully operational.

Nevertheless, a praise must be accorded to set designers for the theming that, although incomplete in some parts - only the fronts of themed attractions - and some solutions in the choice of materials that may be objectionable in part, the overall result from a visual impact is strong. The major attractions are still closed, as "Shock", "Yucatan", "Mystika", "Huntik"and "Maison Houdini" have heavily influenced the experience of the visit, but this should not be forgotten that the overall product is composed of many other factors. The emotional involvement of the ordinary public - that the vast majority of people who go to amusement parks - the park is high and in the evening some parts of the park are really amazing. In other areas, the opposite is unfortunately inadequate lighting and is not given due prominence to scenic views truly special. We believe that soon could be addressed in this regard.

As well certainly in the coming days - roughly by the end of June - will be put in place the final touches, open the other attractions in and post signs definitive paths. Being a new park will then need to be run in an understandable also in terms of management of staff and visitors, but despite all the initial failures fairly predictable, we can finally say that the park in Rome after years of waiting, has opened its doors and if the goals are achieved, can certainly compete with the major Italian and European.

The work will be long because regardless of the problems encountered at the opening, some obvious design flaws - just to make a trivial example, the shape of the "queue line of some attractions - is mandatory during the time range of grinding and improvement, but you can not forget the overall quality of the product, when placed in the Italian market today.

tks

Strata Poster
Looking through some photos I had no idea it was quite so big.. Or well themed! Getting excited for Italy now :D

Tim

Roller Poster
Looks good! Will probably head to it when next in Italy.

HOWEVER...

As a huge fan of dark rides and coasters, and a complete nerd on figuring out how the designers crammed them into the show building, I headed to RCDB and found this:

9e3klg0073af8hdhp3hru8.jpg

...which is quite frankly the most ridiculous waste of an internal space I have ever witnessed in the theme park industry. That building could have been made half the size and still held more trackwork than what currently sit within. Just look at the Crush coaster at Disneyland!

Anyone know if something else was built inside there too? Theming, shop? Queue line?
Was the ride track reduced through a cut or redesign?

I seriously cannot fathom why they built an enclosure about 30% deeper than necessary, with about ten times too much volume and still ended up with an awkward track layout that requires a second lift hill solely to get back to the station

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Maybe they're putting in a lot of theming?

peep

CF Legend
Hixee said:
^Maybe they're putting in a lot of theming?

That's my theory and I hope I'm right. The theme of the attraction is illusions so I'm hoping for quite a psychedelic experience from it lol.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Poor toilets aren't a good sign, but the other two? Some people need to get real.

Its probably just the Gardaland/Miribilandia fanboys being knobs.

Nic

Strata Poster
Has anyone read any reviews of the indoor spinner? If it's themed to illusions, they're missing a hell of an opportunity if they haven't put in any tricks like Winjas has got.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
There's always gonna be teething problems in opening a brand new park, but they'll be doing themselves no favours if it's not all sorted out by the middle of summer,

peep

CF Legend
Those reviews do sound rather disappointing which is a shame because it is a park with so much potential. Hopefully the park will get their act together before any CFer gets out there to try it out.

They do seem to be opening the main attractions one by one at the moment, the splash ride was the other week and this week they're opening Shock, the launched coaster.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Why would they open when significant aspects of the park are yet to be finished? My only guess would be for financial reasons, but with a park this extravagant, you'd think that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

STC

Mega Poster
madhjsp said:
Why would they open when significant aspects of the park are yet to be finished? My only guess would be for financial reasons, but with a park this extravagant, you'd think that wouldn't be as much of an issue.
To gradually power the park up and work out the flaws on the way, rather than flicking the switch and letting mayhem breakout. Work out the kinks in each ride. Same reason that Disney and many other parks "soft open" rides before the real launch, to spot any potential problems!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
STC said:
madhjsp said:
To gradually power the park up and work out the flaws on the way, rather than flicking the switch and letting mayhem breakout. Work out the kinks in each ride. Same reason that Disney and many other parks "soft open" rides before the real launch, to spot any potential problems!

But Rainbow Magicland did have a soft opening just a couple weeks ago. I'm not saying your reasoning is incorrect, but you'd think they'd have been made aware of the operational issues with their rides then. Also, some of the rides and games aren't even completed yet. I just don't get why they would open when a significant number of attractions aren't yet running, and the operating attractions are in some cases completely unthemed. Certainly from a public opinion standpoint, it seems they would have been better served to take a few more weeks to finish everything up rather than opening now with only certain rides functioning.

Other issues that people were mentioning in their reviews included unfriendly or inadequate staff, little to no shade, dirty bathrooms (which can also be attributed to inadequate staffing), and an unreasonable entry fee for a semi-operational park. These are things that could have been addressed between the soft opening and the grand opening.

I'm not saying the problems won't be fixed and the park won't eventually turn out just fine, but to stumble out of the gates like this is a royal screw-up, considering that this park was apparently years in the making. Yes, I'm aware that Disneyland suffered a similar rough patch when it first opened, but you'd like to think that a park built many years later, especially one which purports itself to rival the Disney experience, would learn not to repeat those same mistakes.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They have reduced the entry fee until mid-July.

What we have to remember is these reviews are written by theme park enthusiasts. We're quite happy to pick up on the smallest problems. Ok, so we are (supposedly) better placed to comment on theme parks, but I've yet to read general public reviews to form a balanced view.

Hopefully by the time we visit in July, everything will be in tip-top shape.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
People were surprised that the staff weren't up to a high standard?

Well erm, DUH... Good ride hosts don't just develop in a day... Even with training on the soft opening those days are still different from 'normal' season...

No-one can expect parks to open perfectly... But as long as this doesn't do a Hard Rock Park, I think it'll be ok in the long run...

Rainbow Magicland wasn't built in a day is a suitable phrase here methinks... Once staff get into the swing of their new job and the park gets finished it'll be an awesome park...

marc

CF Legend
It's a totally new park what do people expect?

I can think of parks that have been open for years that have rude staff dirty loos bad food broken rides.

People need to give the park time.