What's new

Question about Coaster Creds

Treybleed

Roller Poster
I apologise if this is obvious / has been brought up before... i'm new around here and to coaster crediting !

I have a quick question regarding how much needs to change on a coaster for it to count as a new cred?

For example .. X at Thorpe Park.

it was pitch black (computer virus theme) and you went backwards and it was called X\no way out. Name changed to X, the theme changed to a rave theme, trains now go forwards and it added loads of lasers and light effects. Would that be enough changes to count it as a new cred? due to it essentially having everything changed except the layout.

and secondly !!

Would Dueling Dragons [Orlando] (As it was called when i rode it) be 1 or 2 creds .. as it technically has 2 coaster tracks and trains (ice and fire) but both are housed under the same theme and name?

Cheers ! ^^

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Unfortunately not every example is as black and white as these two. There's a lot of debate about this!

In terms of your two examples though:

X: No Way Out - the track hasn't changed, they've basically just changed the name and the lights, it's one cred. I, for example, wouldn't count Rougarou as a new cred, because I already have Mantis. They didn't change the track and new trains (even if they are a new style) doesn't make it a new cred. In the same way that the lapbar Boomerangs aren't a new cred if you've already ridden the OSTR version.

Duelling Dragons - they're two completely separate tracks and therefore are two creds. I've currently only ridden them as DD, however if I go back and ride them as Dragon Challenge, I won't count them again (see first example).

Where is gets tricky is with RMC conversions. They change the track, layout and feel so much that they're definitely new creds, but then they reuse so much of the old support work. Where's the line? I'm not sure yet! I think I would count Rattler and Iron Rattler as two creds, because they're so different. A simple retracking, no, but that's different. Clearly. Thankfully I haven't yet had to decide on a cred like that!

For what it's worth, I only count mobuis coasters once I've ridden the entire layout (ie. departed from both stations). For racing coasters, they're only one cred so each departure from either station counts towards my total ride count. That's my system at least. Haha.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
In my world:

Rename = not a new cred
Significant change (seating position (mantis->rougarou) and (x:nwo->X)) = new cred
racing/dueling coasters - even similar track layouts = multiple creds
Mobius = multiple creds

In all honesty - The more I see these arguments, I think "count what you like, noone else is particularly interested!"

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
caffeine_demon said:
In all honesty - The more I see these arguments, I think "count what you like, noone else is particularly interested!"
I can name a few people here who think differently.

I think if it's a new track layout, new cred. If it's just some reprofiling and new trains, not a new cred. For example, Rougarou isn't a new cred, as it's a simple repaint and new trains. Same exact layout as Mantis, so not a new cred. But something like an RMC Iron Horse is a new cred. Hades 360 can go either way, it added new elements, but kept much of the layout intact. Although I haven't ridden it, and it won't matter when I do ride it, I haven't decided if the conversion re-credited the coaster. And for racing coasters, they're 2 separate cred, regardless if they're mirrored layouts or just dueling. Mobius coasters I count has 1/2 credits each side. So to answer your question(in my terms), X is the same cred, Dueling Dragons is 2 creds.

Hope this helped! :)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
In my world:

When undoubtedly a new cred (new coaster built from scratch): Add +1 to coaster count lower limit.
When in doubt: Add +1 to coaster count upper limit only.

Tell others the lower and upper limits of your coaster count, never only a single number. That way, you please both the number-inflaters and the die-hard purists. It's only twice as hard to keep track of as your regular coaster count.