What's new

Project: Nova

danthecoasterman

Mega Poster
Well, it seems like years and years since I've posted on here and I'm gutted to find all my old stuff has disappeared :(

I stopped playing RCT3 for ages but over the last few weeks I've been working on a couple of things. This ride isn't complete yet, but it's definitely worth me coming back on here for.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Introducing Project: Nova.

The last of the Nova Corps is close to death following an attack on the planet Xandar by the Skrulls. You, Richard Rider have been selected to replace the leader and to win back Xandar. You are given the powers of a Nova Centurion.

Once Xandar is won, the Skrulls turn their attention to your home - Earth, raining havoc upon it's innocent civilians. You must journey back through space to save the people of your planet. Nova, can you be Earth's next great superhero?

Shot0022novatease.jpg

danthecoasterman

Mega Poster
^ Well you don't have to wait long :)

Project: Nova - It appears the destruction back on Earth is far worse than first feared. Upon initial entry to the Earth Space Zone a battle with the Skrulls ensued leading to evasive action to reach terra firma, before witnessing first hand the horror at ground level. No survivors.

Shot0049.png

A dark day for the citizens of Earth. The threat of extinction is very much alive. The weather turned, time to fight back and protect your home planet.

Shot0058-1.png

- DTCM

scw55

Hyper Poster
Retrofitting Support can be a pain in the arse, but I speak highly of Moby's Steel Jungle (V2).

It may take longer to erect supports than JCat's Steelworx, but you're able to place supports exactly where you want, as oppose to "where it looks least weird".

In fact I use both, because sometimes I'm too lazy to work out how to support a Loop/Half loop with Steelworx.

Track-wise and surrounding area it looks great. I'm mentioning the supports so that future projects can be even better.

It takes a bit to get used to how to use them, but they are worth learning to use.

danthecoasterman

Mega Poster
Cheers for that, I will have a look at them next time.

No story this time, just got some more screenshots. Most of the surrounding area is complete and I'm pretty happy with it.

Shot0021.png

Station, part of the queue line and part of the hangar which holds an indoor section of the ride. I've touched this area up a bit more since taking the screenshot.

Shot0051.png

Here is one of the seven inversions on Nova, just a standard loop. It in the background you can see and improvised cobra roll where riders are on their backs and a half loop to put them back in a flying position.

Shot0053.png

A small 'bowl-like' part of the ride after the loop, leading up to a brake run.

Shot0063.png

Coming to the end of the ride, a turn through waterfalls. Might need to go over this part again looking at it now.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I like the form of the layout.

A small note regarding ground textures. The ground immediately beneath a tree gets exposed to less sunlight. Therefore the ground would be bare/have thinner coverage of vegetation. It helps the trees feel more "grounded". It also helps create a more interesting looking surface logically.

danthecoasterman

Mega Poster
Cheers for all the feedback scw55. It doesn't look like a lot of people come on here anymore to what there used to be when I first joined.

Ok I think I am about done with this project. I've found myself playing with new things instead of perfecting this one, but I think I am pretty much done with it now. No video unfortunately as I can't seem to get it working in the game without it crashing :(

Walking up to the ride.
Shot0064.png

Train going into the station.
Shot0066.png

First drop and theming.
Shot0075.png

Overall shot.
Shot0068.png

scw55

Hyper Poster
For video recording (if you don't mind maximum recording lengths being 30 seconds), you could try the free trial version of Fraps (infinite ownership, but a cap at 30 sec recording and a watermark in the corner).
It does record video at the FPS you're playing the game at. So if you get stutters, it will record stutters.

The alternative is the ingame which for me takes 20x the time to record things and seems to crash your game.

But yeah, it's kinda frustrating that activity has died down. I understand people have commitments, it's just one of those things. I'm hoping the new RCT game will be decent enough to be worth using and to attract old fans and new fans to the series.

I get about on average 40 views per video I produce on my Youtube channel (and those videos are basic. Made in WMM. Channel ident card. Ride ident card. Handful of off-ride shots. POV(s). Default Credits. Use Youtube music).
So there are people out there on the internets that are still interested enough.

You can always come back to the ride at a later date. Sometimes it's fun revisiting a project a year or so along the line.