What's new

Pleasurewood Hills sold

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-12327718

A theme park in Suffolk has been bought by an American investment firm.

Pleasurewood Hills, north of Lowestoft, was sold for an undisclosed sum by owner Compagnie des Alpes which describes itself as "a major European supplier of leisure activities".

It is the seventh venue the company has sold to the multi-billion dollar investment firm, HIG.

The new owner said it was looking at ways to make more of Pleasurewood Hills' spacious site.
Lets hope that the "multi-billion dollar investment firm" use some of that cash to develop the park.

spicy

Giga Poster
Exciting! From an enthusiast and selfish point of view lets hope this means a new coaster to really put PWH on the map.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Didn't Wipeout count? :lol:

£10 says that one of the first investments that they make is a hotel! That seems to be the trend. But yeah, a mega coaster would be nice, pretty please.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Wouldn't be a bad idea to put a nice hotel near Pleasurewood Hills, you've got Yarmouth down the road so it's not as if there's a lack of things to do in the area and it would mean not having to stay in a ****ty caravan.

God I hate caravans.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
God I hate caravans.
But I thought you were a pikey?

They've got a crazy galf* course, so I guess they'll have to add a hotel or a relocated ride at least.

* Private joke.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Not a pikey, I'm from the classier, sluttier side of Essex.

And lol, galf, forever hilarious XD

spicy

Giga Poster
Ian said:
^ Didn't Wipeout count? :lol:

A Vekoma Boomerang never counts :lol:

A hotel would be a nice addition but they need a large investment on attractions first. They market the park as Pleasurewood Thrills, but a boomerang and afterburner are about the only thrilling rides there.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'd like to see them go down the thrills route but keep the pleasantness of the park, maybe add a good woodie or something?

The thing with PWH is that it's what I call an RCT style park. It's all pretty flat grassland and it would be very easy for them to just plonk a load of rides down and have them look very boring.

What they actually have with such a flat, blank canvas is the opportunity to really play with the land and make some pretty great rides, aesthetically and physically.

Ben

CF Legend
The new owner said it was looking at ways to make more of Pleasurewood Hills' spacious site.

Read : Car park, shopping centre or housing estate. Possibly all three.

Ben

CF Legend
I *really* think it's a bad thing (if my post wasn't clear enough). That to me sounds like they want to rip it out and build something more worthwhile there. Which could be anything.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I bloody hope nor!

Though this was said about the sale of the parks:

Compagnie des Alpes' preferred objective was to find a buyer having a significant expertise in this business sector, a serious and durable business plan, and the financial means needed to make the capital investments that will allow the parks in question to continue to grow vigorously

It shows that they wanted the best for the parks, but whether they stuck to that or not is another question.

Dave

CF Legend
nadroJ said:
The thing with PWH is that it's what I call an RCT style park. It's all pretty flat grassland and it would be very easy for them to just plonk a load of rides down and have them look very boring.

What they actually have with such a flat, blank canvas is the opportunity to really play with the land and make some pretty great rides, aesthetically and physically.

When we went I think we discussed the potential of the place, so open and almost boring layout could easily be changed into a new park with good investment, could become the Oakwood of Norfolk.

Jools

Giga Poster
This is old news for me, I found out ages ago, anyway, it being my local park and all, anyway I'm really hoping they are gonna expand, that golf course next door looks yummy ;) But there is so much space they already have that is wasted, something near the back of the park would be good, because I find myself staying around the entrance when I go, and to where the Rattlesnake is, but never to the back because there's bugger all there really.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah, so how did you find this out ages ago? It was only confirmed the other day?

From EDP:

‘The acquisition of the park was completed today after previous owner Compagnie des Alpes announced it would be relinquishing control of seven leisure parks, including Pleasurewood Hills, at the end of last year.

H.I.G Capital France in partnership with industry expert Laurent Bruloy is taking control of all seven of the parks and between them they will benefit from a joint investment of 20 million Euros over five years.

For Pleasurewood Hills it will mean the park will launch a host of new attractions over the coming months including a £65,000 indoor Laser Labyrinth game, an educational nature trail and a new train station.

The car park and queuing facilities will also be re-designed to improve access and speed up entry for visitors especially in peak times.

Alexis Camelin, Pleasurewood Hills’ general manager who was appointed in March last year, said: “This is extremely exciting news for Pleasurewood Hills!

“The investment will enable us to build on ongoing developments from the past year and further establish our reputation as one of the leading family theme parks in the country.”

The news of the takeover comes as Pleasurewood Hills completes development of a new conference centre in The Palladium Theatre plus the launch of the Carousel Community Art Project which sees art students from across the region restore 30 carousel horses from one of the park’s rides.

Pleasurewood Hills has been a popular attraction for more than 25 years and after a period of some uncertainty in the late 1990s, the 59 acre site was purchased by French leisure group Compagnie des Alpes in 2004.

Pleasurewood Hills won Best Visitor Experience award in the 2009 Tourism in Suffolk Awards, and more than 200,000 thrill-seeking visitors a year enjoy the park’s attractions.

Woo, laser quest :roll:

Mike

Giga Poster
I always thought it was the locals that have stopped the park getting anything decent? Haven't they complained about noise and being able to see rides in the past?

Or am I just making that up (Considering that PWH is surrounded on 3 sides by a Tesco, a crappy Pitch n Putt which I once played on and the sea)?

I agree with what Ben said, although if they do plonk down an Intamin preFab or something then I'ld gladly go back!