What's new

Pleasure Island - cleethorpes - 29th june

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I decided to do another of the smaller UK parks this weekend - one that I wasn't sure I'd get too when they closed a few years ago!

After a burdenous journey, involving megabus(using megabus saved 20 pounds), train and replacement bus (including one just missed bus - foir some reason the replacement buses at docaster left from the bus station and not the station forecourt - not only that, but at the furthest stop from the train station!), followed by another train, and the bus from the station just driving straight passed the stop...) I arrive at just before 12, and find out the park closes at 4.. was a bit worried I wouldn't get on everything - but the place was pretty dead so no worries there!

First of all I did the cycle monorail to get a quick view of where rides are - I'd forgotten how knackering these are when you're on your own - so much effort pedaling for so little distance traveled - and those corners REALLY take it out of you!

Then I moved on to the gravitron, which I only found out about on wikipedia, and isn't mentioned on the ride list on the website - First one for me, and I quite enjoyed it but wouldn't want to ride more than once! I then made the mistake of riding alakazam - a huss fly away( http://flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/flyaway.html ), which finished my spinny ride desires for the rest of the day - didn't realise it went backwards too!

Lunch wasn't too bad for theme park food, even though they were out of the chilli I wanted with my jacket spud, And I had the last of the chicken curry (and this on a low peak day, at about half 12!) - the curry was quite nice though.

First of the creds was the mini mine train - a Vekoma roller skater which we got 4 rounds on - yay for empty queuelines! Second cred was Boomerang - the originally titled vekoma boomerang - I still don't have too much problem with boomerang roughness, although this one was slightli below average. 3rd cred was a go gator which I didn't do (just can't bring myself to do teeny creds!).

The park also had a nice ghost train - shrieksville, by the looks of some online reviews, some effects aren't working (make that a lot of the effects!) - but it's still worth doing for a few little frights!

Other rides I did - The s and s shot tower, Falls of fear - one of those dinghy slides - rather strangely, wheras most of these insist on two per boat, this one had a "1 per boat" only rule - even for little kids, it was great and got me nice and moist!, The electric monorail, which went over the new farm area, and gave a chance to enjoy the smell of horse and goat whoopsies!, Century 2000 ( http://flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pag ... icane.html )and the train around (half) the park.

Para tower was closed all day (boo)
The park also had a fabbri booster, evolution and a huss frisbee, which I missed as I was still a bit queasy from alakazam, and a number of kiddy rides - in fact it was pretty good for it's flats!

Also worth noting, is the food prices weren't too bad - £1.35 for an ice cream is a bargain!

Also of note in cleethorpes, and right next to the train station is macks amusements - a group of rides on a small area of the beach - helter skelter, big wheel, bouncy castle and a cred called little dipper.

Missed out on it as I couldn't quite pluck up the courage to go on it alone, even though it was partly over water... (and I call myself an enthusiast..... ;( )

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I made the same mistake at PI - Gravitron and then Alakazam and I felt queasy all day. I still did all the other rides too mind, and the Frisbee is really good.

I liked the park with friends, but there isn't a massive amount to do (unless you love sick inducing flat rides). It's a bit nothingy, but I was stopping at Thorpe Park (the caravan park next door), so going in was a no-brainer :)

Should have done the beach cred. It's one a very few of those left now in the country (I got one at Ffrith beach in the early 80's).

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Nice report. I really like reading about this park, as i developed a bit of a soft spot for it after i visited in April.

I thought the park was a lot better than i expected and actually quite nice to walk around. It doesn't have any good coasters or water rides, but it's extensive flat ride collection makes up for that, considering it's a small park. I rarely feel queasy after long flat ride cycles, so that's always a plus for me and actually alkazaam was my second favourite at the park after the booster hydromax which is insane. I completely forgot about the gravitron when i was there, as it is very well hidden.