What's new

Pleasure Beach Launch New Big One trains

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think adorning everything with your national flag is tacky and always was.

We just don't do it here. It's reserved for places of importance and tacky places. Blackpool is the later.

Taking the flag out of context from an important prestigious setting and putting it in a public place like this does connote extreme patriotism, because it makes people question why that space thought it was so important to require it.

In the US, putting flags up is about more than being patriotic, and I think a lot of Brits mistake this. Flag poles are not reserved only for the stars and stripes, but for decorative flags with all sorts of things on them. It's an American tradition similar to weathervanes are in the UK.

The Union Flag shouldn't be associated with racism, but it has become so because most of us don't go putting it up like the yanks do, so it's been adopted as a symbol by the BNP. It worries me that it will escalate to the situation of the Confederate Flag in the USA, which you see flying considerably often.

spicy

Giga Poster
I don't think I have ever thought of the Union Jack as being a racist symbol. In fact this is the first and only time I have thought about it reading the posts in this topic.

Thinking the Union Jack is racist is just ludicrous.

As for the trains, they are great! Typical seaside resort, brilliant :)

kimahri

CF Legend
I find it annoying to look at if i had to choose a word to describe them. Just like the word british. It just gets on my nerves. I'm fine with english or UK but british and the union jack just annoy me.

Ah well.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ohh god, this has inevitably turned into a debate about patriotism *groans*

I only meant that is was good that the flag was being used for it's proper purpose for once, in a celebratory fashion, and to invest a sense of pride!

Yay for Blackpool, I think the trains look great
(except perhaps, for the times they will clash with Tango orange)

Brookes

Giga Poster
I really like the trains, they go great with the colour scheme of the track and supports, I prefer them to the old ones.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I do actually think it looks really good!

And wow for yet another sponser dropped (Tango). What ever next, Iron Bru?!

alexr

Hyper Poster
A photo from the event, According to Amanda on twitter it went well!
181588_10150102248047365_88885897364_6139648_8349115_n.jpg

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Now that's a better shot compared to those far away, grainy ones!

I think it looks really smashing, particularly the ! logo centred at the front. I think I better go and lie down, I've paid far too many compliments to PBB this week.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Agreed, on all counts.

It's tacky, it's shiny, it's Blackpool. Love it.

alexr

Hyper Poster
For Those who haven't seen it yet, Heres the 2011 Park Map, Note Bling isn't on it...
parkMap_20111.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend
So when are they expecting Nick Land to open?

Obviously not any time soon if the 2011 map has it as "Coming soon".

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Well Roller Coaster looks nice being orange on the map ha!

And Valhalla looks brand new! RUFURB!!!!!!111

The trains look cool too, but the old trains are on the map!!!

Enough geeky observations, good call on the Bling though.

I hope it goes somewhere good.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
It actually doesn't look too bad in that close up shot. Still think the royal association is **** though.

Ollie

CF Legend
bezzzzzer said:
And Valhalla looks brand new! RUFURB!!!!!!111
Weren't they removing the backwards drop from Valhalla? If so then why is it still on the map in the picture?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ I think thats being a little bit too picky really. Since when are park maps used as an accurate resemblance for the real thing?

Will

Strata Poster
Wait - I'm probably misunderstand here, but they've given Valhalla some TLC?
That's MUCH more exciting than British flags and trains named after me...