What's new

Phone Apps

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
For those of us that have iPhones, BlackBerrys, Windows/Google mobiles and so forth, what applications do you recommend? I'm hooked on downloading apps be it for productivity, reference or entertainment.

I've been using RunKeeper for the iPhone. What it basically does is track your walking/cycling/running movements and then sends that info to the website where you can read enjoy the stats and graphs.

Here are the results of my bike ride this afternoon.
runkeeper.jpg

It's a tidy little app, enables me to track my progress and set myself goals.

Another one I'd recommend is FlightControl. You have to land the three types of aircraft on the runways without crashing! It's simple and very addictive.

So yeah, any recommendations?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
If entertainment is what you're looking for, there is an app on the iPhone that detects how close a gay person is to you. They tell the app that they're gay and the app finds your nearest gay.

So, if you swing that way, or you like to laugh at the person next to you when you find out they like todger.

Dave

CF Legend
Someone watched Top Gear...

Why didn't you say "i saw on Top Gear" not try think you found it yourself.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I knew about the app before it was on Top Gear, however, I see your point. I could have just said it was from Top Gear...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ *sigh* That's "grinder" which was mentioned on Top gear a few weeks ago. I was wondering how long it would take somebody tomention it.

There are also plenty of straight ones out there too, such as Skout and Dating DNA.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Best apps on my iPod:

Tweetdeck
Facebook
iPlayer (not really an app, but worth mentioning)
Touch Hockey
TV Guide
JellyCar
Knots
Shazam (not that it works without a mic on the iPod Touch)
SHOUTcast
TonePad

marc

CF Legend
Ian,

Facebook :)
Myspace :)
ebuddy
Fring
Remote so you can control your Mac and Appletv
Flixter

So out of my list you will want none of them :(

spicy

Giga Poster
You can get the original Golden Axe on the iPhone for £2.99 :)

The app I use the most is iFooty but if your not into football its not going to be your thing.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think that Yeerp is the best app for finding places, much better than Around Me and Where.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
I love the one for the iPhone which turns it into a lightsaber sorta thing. So fun... for a few minutes. Registers your movements and makes the "pshaw vrum sttststst" noises as you do it. And it can play start wars music as you do it too :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

AJ

Giga Poster
Rollercoaster Rush is a pretty neat app for the iPhone. it's rather addictive too! [If not a little un-realistic]

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've had Shovel for the last few days - pretty interesting. It's a news app that focuses on the more techy/bizarre/small missed stories of the day. Pretty much gathers information from blogs and sites around the world and presents it all in one place.

And do not bother with Cludeo. I downloaded it expecting it to be like the board game - it's not, it's a crappy point and click adventure. Really bollocks.

Has anybody found a weather app that's actually reliable and precise? I have had AccuWeather but found that pants, The Weather Channel is ok, but not accurate. Help?

kimahri

CF Legend
^ That and a magic one called "Alarm,"

It's amazing! It makes my phone play noises really loud to make me wake up. It works, it really does.

AdamJ

Roller Poster
I have in terms of apps/games:

- Sims3
- Worms
- Tetris
- Bejeweled 2
- Facebook
- Last.fm
- Tweetie
- Remote
- Fast & Furious: the Game
- Flashlight
- RadioBOX
- Evernote
- IM+ Lite
- TenPinBowling Arcade

I don't recommend Sims3, can crash a lot, but Worms, definitely worth the £2.99 it costs.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
iDaft. Kept me entertained for ages, although is pretty basic.

Paper Toss. Random game that is rather addictive!

Wild West Pinball game that is also VERY addictive.

Tap Tap Revenge 2. Nice free game similar to Guitar Hero and other games, with free songs!

ECB Cricket. If you're a cricket fan its an easy way to catch up with the scores.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Lol theres a thing on at the moment, you can "Jigsaw" your voice from the Saw movies, and it works really really well actually!

Other than that yeah I tend to just use Facebook, Tweetdeck, the Shotgun one is pretty amusing, Paper Toss definitely addictive and Tap Tap Revenge is pretty sweet too!

Aaron

Hyper Poster
Mark said:
I am yet to find any really fun ones for the Blackberry tbh...

Sorry, but :lol:

I have loads of apps, I can't stop downloading them...

some of the best I have are;

FML - great for schadenfreude, and quick cheap laughs
Ragdoll Blast - great physics based game
TapTap Revenge 2 - awesome guitar hero like game, plus it's free!
JellyCar - simply awesome fun, plus, JellyCar 2 has been announced now!
Geared - interesting and quite challenging puzzle game
Mr. AahH! Lite - no point buying the full version, it's just a longer version of the lite, but exactly the same gameplay!

Anyway, that's my best, I won't talk about the jailbroken stuff hahaha