What's new

Phoenix of the North - Download & POV page 3!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
It's extremely early days, but after a short little break I've picked up my mouse and keyboard and started on a new project.

This ride is my first semi-fantasy ride. I've always focused on realism, and seen my designs as more of a homage to real rides rather than exploring the "limits" of the program (irony?). I've always felt that flyers were hard to build, and as I like a bit of a challenge I've decided to take on this type. I say "semi" fantasy, as I will still be taking inspiration from real rides in terms of building techniques and layout theory but no company in particular, I also wish for the forces to start realistic and the supports and structure. I'll also be using an exaggerated terrain, it utilise a large island, with cliffs and hills and woodland to create an ultimate flying experience.

It may not please every taste, but I don't think my rides ever have. I've had these ideas in my head for a while and it's been fun exploring how they'll work as a whole. I'm not giving away details just yet, and I doubt I'll give much away till the release. But I'll keep you as updated as I can.

1692esy.jpg

Layout's coming along. I'm finding this "freestyle" designing abit hard to get to grips with. And there's a bump in the begining of the ride! Which is abit of an arse to sort out on NEwton without undoing what I already have. You can see in this screen, the world's first flying double-dip, the first drop and the cliff-side flyby. It may look odd, but the terrain is playing a big part.

23vhq46.jpg

Here is the the beginning of the flight.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, good luck, first off
Second, looks promising enough, I'd love to see a P.O.V.
Also, Could you change the colors up a bit? Like not just grey? Thanks XD

Xpress

Strata Poster
blaze643 said:
Also, Could you change the colors up a bit? Like not just grey?

Hid ride, his choice in colors. Either way, you shouldn't be heavily concerned about colors, unless they absolutely make the ride standout.

jokerman

Giga Poster
^I think he's entitled to say the colours need changing. When you put a ride on here, you're looking for feedback. If everyone just said "I'm not listening to you, it's my ride, I can do what I want", no one would get anywhere.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I only ever really concentrate on the aesthetics after I know I have a solid layout. I was just bored of the default white track!

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the layout right though. I love the first drop but the rest needs major tweaking. Also, the whole flying-experience thing isn't translating into NL very well, I can understand why there's a shortage of this coaster type. I'm actually considering scrapping this ride, but re-using the island for a Cheetah Hunt style ride.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I'd say stick with it. It's a challenge, which is a good thing. If in a few days you still havn't made any progress, then think about moving on to something else. You said yourself that it's early days still. You might just get a sudden flash of inspiration!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I stuck with it, and the past few days the layout just flowed out.

I think I have a final one now but I won't show it yet. for the height difference in the ride, it's quite short and simple, but I don't want the pacing to suffer. The final brakes are hit at quite a low speed in the end! I'd like to think as the Intimidator of flyers (less intense maybe..)

Anyway here's a view of the pretzel loop. I know it's a little bit generic to stick this is a flyer. But it's a crowd pleaser and worked better than the loop I had before.

2zoxgy8.jpg

You can see the rough terrain here too, obviously it's going to get fully polished when I get the right shapes.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I doubt it ^ I have no intentions to add additional scenery. Sorry to dissapoint =/.

Just a simulator update. The terrain is coming along nicely and I've started supporting. I'm still unsure how this ride will be received as, although I think I've achieved what I intended, it doesn't really translate to NL as well as I'd hoped. Then again, I've had those doubts with every one of my rides, so MEH =). Anyway onto some pictures.

1iobr9.jpg

Here is the view from the bottom of the drop which swoops round the tallest part of the island. The terrain is due a little smoothing, but I do want it chunky, need to get that balance.

hss753.jpg

From the pre-drop out of the lift hill. You can see the rest of the ride partially in the background down below. The large height difference is because flyers just EAT up speed like smarties. I figured in real life, if you wanna fly, you're wanna fly fast! It's partially due to the semi-short ride length, but I think people would feel it dragged if I put anything else.

2ewfyad.jpg

Here is the view from the exit of the pretzel loop. My crowd-pleaser and intensity punch in the ride. It's fit's snuggly between the main island a smaller one that the helix wraps round.

I'm currently working through some name ideas and colours, so watch this space.

Xpress

Strata Poster
jjjjustin12 said:
^ I'm glad there will be no scenery it never comes up on my mac

You need to download the Mac version of the NL Track Packager. Do a search on like CoasterCrazy, or ask on NoLimits-Exchange.

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
You need to download the Mac version of the NL Track Packager. Do a search on like CoasterCrazy, or ask on NoLimits-Exchange.

Do you mean pack extractor? I'll download that to and try tho.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Done some supporting and texturing, needs abit more work but I'm gettin there. Expect a name soon.

sv3q6u.jpg

Xpress

Strata Poster
Uh... wow.... :eek:

jjjjustin12 said:

Do you mean pack extractor? I'll download that to and try tho.

Uhh yeah that.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Announcing, Phoenix of the North.

Took a while to get a name with the right ring to it. May not be to everyone's tastes but I think it fits =). I've also extended the ride and added a finale with a bit more oomph.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Double post, meh.

Changed the logo, the first one just wasn't rubbing with me. This one works much better.

newlogosmall.jpg

Don't worry I am working on the ride too...