What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Ireeb

Mega Poster
they could lead into other pieces and not be the entire launch
I think if it was a multi-launch they would have announced it as "world's first multi-launched-flying-coaster", since that sounds even better marketing-wise than "world's first launched flying coaster"

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Yeah but that would imply to the public that a single-launch flying coaster already exists, perhaps...they'd obviously want to make it known that this is the very first.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I think if it was a multi-launch they would have announced it as "world's first multi-launched-flying-coaster", since that sounds even better marketing-wise than "world's first launched flying coaster"

I think World's first launched pops better than multi-launch, sounds bolder and easier to digest.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I think World's first launched pops better than multi-launch, sounds bolder and easier to digest.
"First flying launch coaster and longest flying coaster" isn't bold and easy to digest either. The word "multi" would have fit in there easily and would have hyped (at least the coaster fans) even more.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I don't think Phantasialand will run with 'World's first AND longest' throughout the marketing campaign, but it's good to express initially to build the anticipation. Once the name and theme are confirmed, then the marketing will take a different approach and focus on the narrative of the ride. In terms of marketing, the addition of even a simple singular word can make all the difference to the effectiveness of taglines and marketing statements.

Wasn't Taron also initially pushed as 'The world's fastest and longest multi launch'? Enthusiasts can eat that up but the GP won't process and remember all that information. It has to be simple and more recognisable in language. Multi launch means nothing to the GP really.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Wasn't Taron also initially pushed as 'The world's fastest and longest multi launch'? Enthusiasts can eat that up but the GP won't process and remember all that information. It has to be simple and more recognisable in language. Multi launch means nothing to the GP really.

Taron was initially advertised as 'Europe's fastest multi launch coaster'.
The other records didn't become apparent until later and I believe the 'fastest multi-launcher in the world' record wasn't announced until the start of June 2016 (they only realised it was possible during testing).

With F.L.Y. all they've told us is: it will have launch and it is the longest flying coaster in the world. That's enough to create intrigue and interest among people by showing it is innovative and unique.
It could be a multi launch coaster but that's not the point the initial advertising wanted to get across (the fact it is the first launched flyer ever). Although how many park's have two multi launchers in them??
I do question if one launch is enough and certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of two however perhaps it will have lift + launch.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm not expecting all of the "length" of this coaster to be a proper coaster though. It could have a considerable dark ride section, making up a good proportion of the total length, with a launch and decent length coaster section at some point within it.

One launch would be perfectly suitable for a ride layout like this.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Is there still the ambiguity about whether this is the longest flying coaster in terms of length or longest flying coaster in terms of ride time? If so, a dark ride style section before the launch could contribute to that 'length' pretty drastically, meaning there's only need for one launch.

Also, I believe the site is quite deep down? So the launch could be quite 'high' up compared to the bottom of the site, meaning you wouldn't need a lot of speed on the launch, and would only need one.

I'd be surprised if there was more than launch on this. Kind of doesn't feel necessary, and I question if there's really enough space..

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'm not expecting all of the "length" of this coaster to be a proper coaster though. It could have a considerable dark ride section, making up a good proportion of the total length, with a launch and decent length coaster section at some point within it.

One launch would be perfectly suitable for a ride layout like this.

Have to agree here, based on what information we have so far. I'm sort of picturing Arthur-esque dark ride sections.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Using a diagram made a few months ago by PhantaFriends.de user M!cha I've attempted to create an overview of the current state of the Rookburgh construction site based on reports on PhantaFriends.de. (The things you do during a long lunch break at work....)
20993873_1553114128088033_6496286287522704972_n.jpg

Red - This is where all the supports and track have been erected already. Now theming structures + buildings or/and sound proof wall facades are being erected.
The steampunk towers from the teaser sign art.
21013894_1553114461421333_4066377097377546623_o.jpg

Grey - I've painted in where there is a large concrete floor plate. Presumably the station will be on part of this. Whether it is on the stretch alongside the Maus au Chocolat building or the longer bit parallel to the earth ramp is unknown. Given that the sidesays loading track for the station and the brake run, and the launch track are sitting outside at Vlodrop awaiting delivery I imagine the station will soon be going vertical. Either way as the station is at the lowest part of the site it will be an underground station like Black Mamba's.
EDIT: As Mrrc posted above it seems the launch track is on it's way to Phantasialand.

Green - Coaster footers are being put in this area now. As of last Saturday when this was reported on PhantaFriends.de a number of footers were already finished.
I imagine we'll supports going up here soon depending on what theming elements will be there.

Blue - Nothing has been happening here yet as far as we know - the Race for Atlantis entrance sign is still up over the door! However it was discussed on PhantaFriends.de recently what will become of the old Race for Atlantis queueline in part of the Maus au Chocolat building. Anyone who rode RfA post 2010 might remember you entered a cattlepen inside a plain concrete room before entering the dome. Without a doubt Rookburgh was in early stages of planning when Maus au Chocolat opened so they probably already planned it's repurposing. Anything is possible really - part of the queueline for F.L.Y. or one of the other attractions in the area, a shop/cafe/restaurant or a backstage area.