What's new

Peep finally visits Orlando Sep 2012 PTR

peep

CF Legend
September 1st - Travelling

After booking up our two week vacation all the way back in November 2011 it was finally time for Patrick and I to get on our plane at London Gatwick to Orlando International Airport. There was a bit of faff getting on to our BA flight due to people being silly and taking forever but once on there wasn't much of a wait before we were up in the air and on our way to the States. The flight flew-by with lots of choice on the Entertainment system and luckily enough the guy next to me wasn't an annoyance.

Once in Orlando we went down to the Disney Magical Express desk to check in for our coach to the hotel. This is clearly one of the better perks when staying on Disney property and we had clearly selected a great hotel to stay at. There was barely anyone on our coach and we were the only ones getting off at Disney's Old Key West Resort, it was also the first Resort the coach stopped at.

551885_10152113409710360_1926984758_n.jpg

The Old Key West Resort is quite amazing, it's very large yet calm and relaxing and all the staff are amazing. After we were given about a billion booklets when we checked in we were driven on this large golf buggy thing with our suitcases to our building. Ya see, this resort is made up of lots of little buildings, each with 2 or 3 floors and rooms of varying sizes. We were in building number 35 in room 20-something. It was a very decent sized room, two large double beds, a HD TV, a large bathroom, a tiny kitchenette and even a balcony with a view of a tree and one of the many lakes around the resort.

247650_10152113410340360_1200208978_n.jpg

After sorting our lives out we were a bit peckish so we decided to walk to the Downtown Disney boat. It was really hot which was really odd considering how dark out it was (we're talking about 9pm, maybe a little earlier). Up until this point we'd mainly been in air conditioned spaces so this was the point that the heat really affected us for the first time.

The boat service was really nice and relaxing and a nice way to start off our trip really. Once we arrived at Downtown we headed to Earl of Sandwich, we love the ones in London and Disneyland Paris so it was a must that this is how we began our culinary experience on this trip. It was very busy, in fact the whole of Downtown was really busy. Despite the long queue we managed to order and get our sandwiches in a decent time. As we expected it was just as good as the other stores. I also tried one of their cakes, it was just too much for me. Oh and it was also our first use of our Disney Dining Plan, so that's -1 quick service credit.

523293_10152113410970360_872435014_n.jpg

After food we decided to have a look around a few of the stores nearby. We started off by looking in the large pin trading store, it had quite the large selection. It was very hard all trip to stop myself from buying some, the last time I did that on a Disney trip I nearly didn't have any money left. We also popped into the World of Disney store which is very big and had quite a lot on offer. This would be a shop that we'd keep coming back to over our two week trip.

395333_10152113411610360_813573119_n.jpg

I think it was already getting fairly late and we were exhausted from our long travels so we hopped on a shuttle bus to the hotel. As it was dark and we were still new to where everything was at our resort we did end up getting a little confused as to which bus stop we needed to get off, not really helped by the random route the bus decided to take. Anyway we finally managed to get off at the right stop and went straight to our room to get some sleep to prepare us for our first day in a Walt Disney World theme park.

I shall try to continue this tomorrow evening, thanks for reading folks!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Seeing your pictures is going to make me feel ill! :lol: (and act as a reminder to sort mine out)

I must admit, I wasn't really impressed with the WDW transportation system - it was a pain in the arse to say the least, nothing seemed to be straight forward. Did you try getting from any park, to Downtown Disney?

We also found the heat a bit ott when we first arrived, it just waaay too humid for us Brits!

peep

CF Legend
^ The humidity was ridiculous, I can barely deal with hot weather as it is and I pretty much suffered for my incompatibility with hot weather every single day.

To be honest, we found the transportation system really helpful and generally very good. Yeah, getting to Downtown from a park was a pain but that was simply fixed by going to the nearest Resort to whatever park you're at and then going from there.

marc

CF Legend
I am looking forward to reading this.

I love the hit of humidity when you get off the plane lol, go in December and you don't get that :(

Think we also go back to the Disney store in down town loads of times.

I liked that boat service was a different way of getting there.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Martyn B said:
Seeing your pictures is going to make me feel ill! :lol: (and act as a reminder to sort mine out)

I must admit, I wasn't really impressed with the WDW transportation system - it was a pain in the arse to say the least, nothing seemed to be straight forward. Did you try getting from any park, to Downtown Disney?

We also found the heat a bit ott when we first arrived, it just waaay too humid for us Brits!

I've never been except in august. Got caught in a hurricane in 2004. You start to get used to it after a day or two.

Looking forward to it peep

Martyn B

CF Legend
I did like the Earl of Sandwich, especially their desserts, but I have to say I tried 3 different sandwiches, and they all seemed to taste the same to me.

peep

CF Legend
Earl of Sandwich really is amazing. Just very filling, you should try them out one day Marc.

September 2nd - Let the Magic begin

After our first day being uber long and actually having a rather late night too we decided to get up rather late and just take our time. I think the first thing we did once we left our room was keep taking note how ridiculous the heat was. The second thing we did was go to the fast food desk at the hotel to get our complimentary refillable drinks capsules. They were pretty cool and very good at keeping in liquid (take note Merlin!). So we filled our cups up and headed to the bus stop to catch the next bus to the Magic Kingdom. On our route to the park we actually went past the place they were storing the Seven Dwarves coaster track (you know that famous pic that was everywhere), was pretty cool going past it each time we went to MK.

The bus journey didn't actually take us that long, about 15-20 minutes. We decided to just stroll up Main Street USA and see what we wanted to do once we got to the main hub area. It felt quite busy and when we looked at the queuetime board it slightly confirmed this. The area with the shortest queues was Adventureland so we opted to go there and work our way around the park in a clockwise fashion.

391630_10152113415900360_605253034_n.jpg

So off to Adventureland we went. It was weird going into this area first because I'm so used to the layout in Paris, the design and look of it was also very different. It was weird seeing so many buildings in Adventureland and you could barely see the Family Robinson Treehouse from the main pathway, just felt odd but kinda cool. I've been curious about the Jungle Cruise ride for a long time now so asked if we could do that as we were coming up to it. Barely anyone else was waiting for it too (about enough to fill the next boat or so) which helped us make the decision. The heat was killing me too so I just wanted to sit down for a bit lol.

183300_10152113416710360_1606510410_n.jpg

I quite liked the Jungle Cruise. It's a bit of a weird ride in that it solely relies on the cast member being awesome. Our guide kept telling very bad jokes, most of which I think went over Patrick's head but I found it all quite amusing. Overall it's a nice little attraction and most of the effects looked like they were working.

222193_10152113417030360_1949591528_n.jpg

The Tiki Room, Patrick kept wanting to just walk past it, don't worry, we finally went in near the end of the trip

We still hadn't eaten anything so we took the decision to seek food before the mad rush. On our way to find food we walked past Pirates of the Caribbean, opposite was the Pirate Tutorial show which was ok, attracted quite a decent crowd. Moving on we finally sought out food in Tortuga Tavern, a fast food restaurant that did Mexican food. I got a burrito which had a decent amount of chicken, beans and rice in and then you're able to go over to a fillings table and fill to your hearts content. I'm always a bad judge with these things and maybe added a little too much. So I wasn't able to close up the wrap in the traditional way and I made a right mess but I don't care, it was absolutely nom. Oh and we were given humongous soft drinks, we had a little bit and then filled our hotel cups with the left over, of which there was plenty. Fantastic, now we can make it last longer. It also came with a dessert, we both went for gelato which stands for European Ice Cream, not real Gelato, still it was nice and cooling. Oh yeah -1 Quick Service Meal credit.

396503_10152113417295360_1118064482_n.jpg

224459_10152113417650360_2124496038_n.jpg

Patrick's food

So after filling up on lots of awesome food we headed slightly back for Pirates. Ok, so this confused me, before you even enter the building the queue splits into two and each side gets a slightly different route to the station. We entered in via the right hand side which turned out to be the longer queue of the two, oh well. Well, I say that but it was still only a good 15 min wait. We were getting close to the loading dock when the ride decided to break down. It took forever to deal with whatever the problem was and it felt like once they did fix the problem they made sure they sent every boat round empty before loading again. This was such an epic fail and was very random.

Anyway we were finally on (no idea how long we waited in the end) and off on our little journey. Right from the off I was a little confused with the layout. The steam effect with the projection of Davy Jones was very random however I thought the Barbosa and Sparrow additions worked really well within this version of the ride. The cannon blast effect worked really well too which was cool.

So what's better, Paris or Orlando? Paris hands down, from the epicly themed queueline to the sheer scale of the attraction. I'm still not sure if the film update would work in Paris, part of me hopes it doesn't turn up.

We then went into Frontierland up the ridiculous dead-end to Big Thunder Mountain. It had a fairly long wait, as did Splash Mountain so we grabbed a fastpass ticket for BTM. I don't think we had much of a wait so we just waited around until it was time. We then got on rather quickly which was nice. I wasn't sure how this was going to compare to the one in Paris and it had only recently come out of a massive refurbishment too. I really enjoyed it, very good fun. The random twisty track bit where they take the photo is very odd but I kinda loved it. It was all in fantastic condition and the coaster was super-smooth. I still loathe the ridiculous sound effects on the lift hills, they really aggravate my hearing, I was so sad when I heard it for the first time on this version too.

So we came off very happy guests and we wandered over to Splash to get a fast pass for that too. There was quite a long wait for this fast pass return so we headed over to Liberty Square for the Hall of Presidents but we'd just missed a performance so we had to wait 20 minutes or so. Hmm, after a little bit of "wtf do we do now?" we finally entered Fantasyland (which just looks awful) and entered the queue for It's a Small World. It was quite a long queue but as with these rides the queue moves quickly.

420818_10152113417910360_131932757_n.jpg

I kinda liked that each continent was in it's own room but there were so many random scenes and I'm not sure what it was but I weirdly prefer the Paris version (the exterior is definitely superior).

229799_10152113420760360_2111137547_n.jpg

527535_10152113421555360_381268772_n.jpg

Eww

So after It's a Small World we headed back into Liberty Square to check on Hall of Presidents. Turns out that we had missed the next one too but it wasn't much of a wait for the next one. We had a little browse in the nearby shops including the Christmas shop. When we went to actually go and see Hall Of Presidents we clicked that there wasn't much of a wait until the parade. Also turns out that the show in front of the castle was about to start. We rushed over to there to catch the show which was alright.

486646_10152113422900360_613183426_n.jpg

6072_10152113423870360_758932045_n.jpg

After the show we decided to grab a good spot on Main Street for the parade. The parade was preceded by the Philharmonic band which was cool.

422760_10152113424730360_1701162014_n.jpg

The parade itself was rather random but as with all Disney parades, it's generally quite fun.

262305_10152113426590360_1471430893_n.jpg

270755_10152113426915360_855224177_n.jpg

3403_10152113430030360_445994774_n.jpg

528599_10152113437175360_1378789841_n.jpg

486881_10152113440315360_1456105790_n.jpg

So that was over and we went over to the Hall of Presidents again. This time we only had a few minutes to wait so we finally timed it right. It was quite an interesting show. The Lincoln animatronic is incredible and I can see why he's popular. Obama really doesn't look like Obama though, even from a distance it looks nothing like him, silly Disney. I loved how all the presidents would slightly move throughout the entirety of it, as if they were real people. I saw one pat the one next to him on the back after he was mentioned, I thought that was amazing, just that level of detail and care when probably 1 in 50 people notice it <3 So yeah, lots of American history yadda yadda but still cool what they can do with some amazing animatronics. OH and some peeps got a little political with whoops and boos when certain peeps were mentioned - lol.

It was then finally time for our journey down Splash Mountain. It's weird seeing a log flume but with such a wide boat and proper seating, still it was comfortable and cool. I absolutely fell in love with this ride, it's just so epic, the detail of theming is fantastic and just how many drops does it have? So many animatronics too and just, wow, love it. There were clearly a few effects that weren't working but overall it didn't detract from the ride and I can see why it's so raved about.

We decided to walk back to Fantasyland to check out the new Circus area. The Dumbos had quite a queue so we didn't bother with that but I wanted a go on Barnstormer. This was after we spent a little bit of time going 'I want to cool down in the Casey Jr water thing but I don't want to get too wet'. We ended up standing next to the front of the train as we hadn't seen any effects at that end and then he just went 'boom' and we got fairly moist lol. We spent a little bit of time of running under the shoots of water and that, such big kids lol. Overall it's a really nice little area and it compliments the train station really well. Kids were absolutely loving it (not surprised, it was so bloomin' hot) but it's a shame that because of their actions a fence has been put up around the front bit of the train.

So yeah, cred. Barnstormer actually had quite a queue but we didn't really care too much about that so we joined the back and awaited our turn on this Vemoka family coaster. For starters, I really love all the theming in the area, some of it is quite subtle but overall it's just fun and I really liked it. The coaster was your generic Vekoma rollerskater (or whatever they call them). So it's fun, shame there isn't a whole load of theming around the coaster itself but it's still fun. Oh and how long is that exit path? It's ridiculous.

I'm not 100% on the order of things to be honest but I think we popped into Tomorrowland and we randomly rode Carousel of Progress. This attraction, which may be a little outdated, was very fun and that song, gawd that really does imprint itself into your head doesn't it?

Next up was Stitch's Great Escape which had no wait. It's quite good fun if a little scary at times but that Stitch animatronic is amazing and I want it.

I think we were running out of time because of our dinner reservation so we just headed over to Liberty Square to wait for our reservation. Our dinner reservation was at the Liberty Tree Tavern. I think it looks great from the outside and the entrance hall is fantastic. We had apparently booked a popular time as there were lots of families waiting for tables.

66105_10152113449425360_101675698_n.jpg

527527_10152113451925360_1713073444_n.jpg

After a little bit of a wait we were called up and taken to our table. All the seating areas were quite small and had quite a homely feel to them, I liked it, created a nice atmosphere. The dinner option is that they basically come out and place a family roast style buffet on your table. It gets a little cramped but we really liked it. The food they give you is really good and OMFG honey butter *drools*, who knew butter could get any better. Our amazing waitress was shocked when we said we couldn't deal with any more food but we still had desert to go. Wow, I think it was like an apple crumble thing and it was amazing. -1 Table service credit

After we had finished our epic meal it was already dark out which meant it was nearly time for the night entertainment. We went to the bottom of Main Street USA for the Main Street Electrical Parade. Turns out we managed to get a great spot, it was right outside the gate where the parade came from and there was no one in front of us. I really didn't like the huge spotlights they turned on at the top of the buildings, they were just a bit too bright, it was fantastic at ruining photos.

483032_10152113452740360_470830099_n.jpg

550432_10152113453145360_963568183_n.jpg

Getting ready for Halloween <3

It was then time for the parade. I love the music for this parade and have done for many years. Overall it's really fun, if random at times and it's clearly been updated within the last couple of years with projected faces on characters and that. I was really shocked by the use of characters actually live talking to the crowd from atop of floats, was cool.

228097_10152113461245360_317982673_n.jpg

227889_10152113463840360_1714308000_n.jpg

46310_10152113468900360_1904274171_n.jpg

536238_10152113474175360_910045027_n.jpg

we lol'd

558538_10152113478545360_559033957_n.jpg

536191_10152113485385360_544188060_n.jpg

He was talking to everyone - da ****?

It was then time for [strike]Dreams[/strike] The Magic, The Memories and You. A random projection show on the castle where they show random pics taken on that day, however unless you're right in front of the castle you can't actually see any of the pictures properly, all very random and pointless. The random scenes were clearly cut outs from tests for Dreams at Paris which was quite amusing. However with the poor projection system used it just looked a bit odd and some of the mapping on the castle was very off. That was actually the last night of that show too, they're changing it into something slightly different so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

390411_10152113498145360_668480413_n.jpg

TronCastle

So after that random show it was time for Wishes. It was alright, nice to hear that main song again as it reminds me of my first time at Paris.

557084_10152113500390360_453774557_n.jpg

So the park was now closed but we were Disney hotel guests and there was Extra Magic Hours to be had, hurrah. I think the first ride we went on was Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. There was no queue, we approved of this. Patrick didn't approve of the ride though, I agreed that the Paris version was better but I still enjoyed it, I do like shooter attractions despite their flaws. I think I beat Patrick by quite a bit which resulted in him moaning about the trigger not working properly.

Next up was Space Mountain. It actually wasn't walk on, there was probably a 20 minute wait. This is obviously when we found the interactive games in the queue, so addictive, you end up not wanting the queue to move on, so much fun to be had. I think they were closing off one of the coasters so they were sending everyone to the left hand side. Finally on and sitting in the very odd coaster train. Quite a comfy seat but it's such a hassle get in and out of. There are some moments I really loved, like the random tunnel at the start with all the light and sound effects and the helix of doom with the whizzing noise. It's very good fun but I do prefer the Paris version, not like you can really compare them though as they are completely different.

The uber long exit out of the attraction seems like a big joke though, takes about 10 minutes just to exit. Just what were they thinking when they designed it?

We then randomly decided to ride the People Mover. Such a random attraction. Not a lot to really say about it either really.

So after the People Mover we decided to head back over to Liberty Square for Haunted Mansion. It was basically walk on but we decided to venture through the interactive graveyard anyway. I think we missed some of the elements of the new graveyard but the bookshelf was fun, quite easily amused. The Madame Leota gravestone next to the building entrance is amazingly creepy, I thought it was me seeing things at first but after just staring at it for ages and saw it proper move I was like holy cow that's amazing.

So, anyway on to the actual attraction. First things first, it's nice to have the audio in English so I can understand what's going on. Not like there's much of a storyline to the attraction. I didn't get why there was a really cramped narrow queue alongside the conveyor belt/loading area, felt unnecessary. Still, the ride is quite fun, I'm not sure story wise how we're meant to magic from the top of the building to the graveyard though. Meh. The updated effects were fantastic, floating Leota and the different effects in the mirror were just excellent and I'd love Paris to get them.

Btw I prefer the Paris version, it just works with the whole Frontierland story so much better and that.

We decided to end our day with another ride on Big Thunder Mountain. It was also walk on. Loved it even more in the dark, great fun was had and so we went round again, awesome.

It was very late, about 12:45 or something and we were uber tired by this point. So off to the bus to get back to the hotel room. And that was that. A great first full day in a park. The crowds weren't too bad and it would also be the busiest we'd see the park throughout our entire trip. There are some aspects which I really like about the Florida park but I think the attention to detail in the architecture and overall design of the park among other things make me prefer Paris.

Thanks for reading. Coming soon - O! Canada and the nightmares of Ellen

marc

CF Legend
Great read so far.

Agree buzz is better in Paris.

Pirates I prefer the order in Orlando and the new effects but I think Paris one is better hard to explain why I think it's longer with a few less dead spots? I think the Jack Sparrow is the best ever made the detail is amazing it looks like Depp is actually there.

I prefer haunted mansion tbh, the effects work for a start and it's just better done even though its so much older. The building in Paris looks better but that's about it.

Oh the castle in Paris is better :). The park in Paris is a lot better designed as well, more details on buildings and looks a bit less plastic. That's Main Street anyway and fantasy land. But I love the area near phantom manor and on the way to splash mountain, that part of the park looks great.

It's hard to compare rides tbh as just about everything in Paris is newer so they can improve on what's gone before it.

peep

CF Legend
^I shall get to that in due course ;)

September 3rd - Ellen's Nightmare welcomes us to the World Showcase

228183_10152113565245360_1756763605_n.jpg

Our resort boat to Downtown

We got up at a more sensible time on this day and opted to grab a snack for breakfast so I think we just grabbed a danish or something from the fast food desk.

304917_10152113565480360_32783431_n.jpg

OMG, these guys were everywhere, I want one

So, we got on the next shuttle bus to Epcot which was just round the corner so a nice and quick journey.

388777_10152113565875360_1454666891_n.jpg

We only had like an hour or so until our lunch reservation in Canada so we decided to go on an attraction or two in Future World. We headed to the left where we could see a very closed Test Track. Universe of Energy looked interesting and it was close by so we headed over to that. Both of us had absolutely no idea what it was and the next pre-show was just about to begin, excellent.

246424_10152113566155360_1023202568_n.jpg

Well, weren't we in for a big surprise. The cast members make sure everyone is quite aware that the whole attraction (including pre-show) takes a total of 45 minutes. 45 MINUTES, what the hell? We had just enough time to do this before our reservation so we were ok with this. The pre-show introduces us to Ellen and Bill Nye the Science Guy (we thought he was just a character for this, oh boy were we wrong, more on that as the TR goes on). Ellen is actually amusing and overall it's quite a cool little pre-show. It also has unexpected Jamie Lee Curtis! WTF!!! So yeah, we were then told that we were entering Ellen's dream/nightmare sequence where Bill Nye the Science Guy will tell us the history of Energy.

You then enter into this huge room with several very large vehicles which just have massive rows of seats. After a lot of faff getting everyone in the show then begins. Just everything about this attraction is just ridiculous and massive, I'm still baffled by how much energy it must take to move those ridiculous vehicles. According to a fan site the 2 acres of solar panels on the roof are able to provide enough to power the entire attraction but I find that so hard to believe. So I'm calling their bluff and say that they're just using magic. So yeah, quite a few funny moments, quite informative (if you know nothing about fuels etc) and has more Jamie Lee at the end <3 Yeah, Patrick and I became big fans of what we referred to as "Ellen's Nightmare ride".

Obviously time was moving on and we were close to our reservation time so we made our way to Canada, which is luckily the first country in the World Showcase. On our way I had to get my photo taken with the Phineas and Ferb topiarys because Phineas and Ferb is awesome.

527332_10152113566930360_639700850_n.jpg

So yeah, on to Le Cellier Steakhouse in Canada. I kinda liked that anyone that served us basically told us about their home town, it's a little weird but it's quite cool. The restaurant felt a little small but it was very nice, felt very upmarket. With the Dining Plan we were able to have a three course meal here so for some reason we did. Our starter was a cheese soup which was surprisingly nom, well it would be, it contained bacon :D My main course was a burger (I felt so unadventurous ordering it) which was absolutely amazing, the meat was fantastic and it was very filling. Still, we also had a dessert to go. We both opted for the chocolate mousse. We were both expecting a mousse in a pot like you get from the supermarkets. Instead we got the below...

487484_10152113567700360_1564880124_n.jpg

It was awesome, I love how the antlers were maple syrup as well, lol, so Canadian <3 Overall it was an incredible meal and we were so glad we chose to eat in there. -1 table service credit

As we were already in Canada it was decided that we should just get O! Canada out of the way. So past quite a nice waterfall you enter into this little waiting area which smells of manure or something atrocious before moving into the main room where the circlevision film plays.

198484_10152113568535360_1486101910_n.jpg

155123_10152113568875360_1531344082_n.jpg

The film is alright, just a random mash up of helicopter shots really with the occasional amusing moment from the amazing Martin Short. It also ends with a very addictive song which easily gets into your head.

Moving on from Canada we had a little look around the British area which was quite quaint, kinda saddens me that there isn't more to it though.

246644_10152113569690360_1826060755_n.jpg

543417_10152113570125360_703727489_n.jpg

251148_10152113576760360_2026079551_n.jpg

At the back of the shops is a little meet and greet area with characters. Tigger and Winnie the Pooh were there so we had our pic with them...

304355_10152113573945360_2145405343_n.jpg

263957_10152113574640360_2032032913_n.jpg

There's then a little walk to the next pavilion which is France. We went to see the Impressions of France film but had just missed a screening so we had a little look around the shops before heading back in.

270699_10152113577225360_1688782738_n.jpg

421236_10152113577715360_1463130784_n.jpg

The show was quite nice, I liked their selection of classical music, was very relaxing. The air con was also appreciated. When we exited we noticed that Marie from Aristocats was out so we went and had our picture taken with her.

545365_10152113578420360_1769856723_n.jpg

Patrick had also made note of when Mary Poppins was out in the UK section so we headed over as she was just about to head out. After a little wait Patrick finally got his photo with Poppins. She was having quite a good ol' chin wag with pretty much everyone and she loved talking about the parrot on her umbrella.

427925_10152113579080360_898280757_n.jpg

Morocco was next which was really nice to look around. It was mainly shops and a restaurant (a standard for each pavilion it would seem) but it was still really nice. The heat however was not so nice and I was finding every opportune moment to pop into somewhere with aircon.

The next Pavilion is Japan which was really cool. I love the architecture of it all and the shop was humongous. They also had a very large selection of Sake. Exiting the shop we found ourselves in a little exhibition space, it was something to do with manga which was cool.

393185_10152113579910360_151138714_n.jpg

419001_10152113580335360_1431962006_n.jpg

Next is America and the American Adventure show. As we entered the building in the foyer was the Voices of America group who were amazing. Very talented group of singers. The show was pretty good (some amazing animatronics) but it was all a bit too patriotic which is expected but yeah, too much.

301230_10152113582530360_1721161658_n.jpg

The next pavilion is Italy which is beautiful, just like Italy. We caught the end of this little comedy group's show which was really random but quite funny.

269060_10152113582810360_1121065971_n.jpg

545298_10152113583580360_1318493471_n.jpg

45286_10152113583880360_1018768178_n.jpg

Next was Germany which looks fantastic. We decided to have a German beer. It tasted like beer.

185157_10152113584270360_882259210_n.jpg

218148_10152113585135360_1839417468_n.jpg

303815_10152113585870360_1558611131_n.jpg

China was next but we decided to walk past it to go to Norway next for Maelstrom. Norway has a very nice area too and it's cool that it has a boat ride. The ride is actually very random, not 100% sure what was going on but it was fun. The ride exit brings you into a room where a promo video for Norway plays, it's very dated and the doors were just left open so most people were just walking straight out. We only watched it for a little bit ourselves because it was dated and a bit boring.

76878_10152113586945360_703987245_n.jpg

271178_10152113587695360_2086254203_n.jpg

We also popped into the little Norway exhibition to do with Vikings. It was small and random, it would have been fine (because of the aircon) but some lady was just awkwardly standing by the door just staring into space, it was odd.

We then went back to the China Pavilion for Reflections of China. Another circlevision film but with an amazing building which also housed a little exhibition on the terracotta army.

307754_10152113590570360_224811244_n.jpg

377252_10152113591395360_922395703_n.jpg

564606_10152113591825360_1978482623_n.jpg

I liked this circlevision film, it was relaxing and very interesting.

We then headed down to the Mexico pavilion for the Gran Fiesta Tour. Wow, this building is huge, to house a dark ride, a marketplace and a restaurant, it's pretty cool. I loved the boat ride too, the three caballeros are awesome and make what was clearly a boring boat ride into something really fun and energetic.

538926_10152113592400360_2123614013_n.jpg

253149_10152113592620360_1732308395_n.jpg

377177_10152113593450360_1833326322_n.jpg

558578_10152113593960360_587447648_n.jpg

By the time we exited the building the sun was setting so we decided to grab a little meal before finding a good spot for the night show. We ended up in China for a simple meal. I had orange chicken with rice (basically sweet and sour) with some gelato for desert. It was quite nice and filled us up nicely.

303211_10152113594230360_1032057107_n.jpg

225951_10152113594480360_561530884_n.jpg

Patrick's food

So we went in search of a good spot for Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. We found a decent spot near Mexico, however we were right next to one of the fire lamps, it was hot enough as it was, didn't need more heat.

282039_10152113594835360_1172736722_n.jpg

246578_10152113595185360_1367624940_n.jpg

The show is great, it starts off with such a great bang that it does go a little downhill in my opinion. Some nice effects though.

548697_10152113596240360_1353523360_n.jpg

581563_10152113596830360_1292891045_n.jpg

That huge amount of fire was insane, you could really feel it from the lake edge too

383516_10152113597775360_1626447580_n.jpg

So that was that, our second day was already at an end. We had a little look around some of the shops near the entrance before getting the bus back to the hotel. We had such a nice day at Epcot despite the intense heat but luckily there is plenty of aircon. I love the World Showcase. I wish some pavilions had more to see and do but it's still fantastic to walk around.

Thanks for reading - next is our journey to find a yeti

marc

CF Legend
Did you get the dining plan for free?

Did you have the afternoon rain storms? When we went in September we had them every day at around 17:00.

peep

CF Legend
Yes, it's the reason we were staying in one of their nicer resorts. Depending on what level of resort you stayed in depended on what level dining plan you got included. I think this was an exclusive with the Disney website. It was such an amazing deal.

We were expecting them every day but we only had them on a couple of days. One of which was quite mega.

marc

CF Legend
Yes you got a great deal with the plan, we looked at it but would need to pay and would just not eat enough to make it worth while.

Might look at it next time in more detail its just the problem when you go to other parks, if you pay your more likely not going to want to pay elsewhere. But tbh we mostly eat at Disney anyway or down town Disney lol.

We stayed just down the road from where you did, it's a nice area to stay it's close to everything.

Martyn B

CF Legend
For us, the rain wasn't as 'scheduled' as I thought it was going to be, as in there wasn't really a pattern. It was more like English weather for us, random. We had 2 days of bad rain, and about 6 days with no rain at all, and the other days just had random showers during the day.

And I think I mostly agree with Peep on the Magic Kingdom. Pirates at Paris is much, much longer. I was really quite shocked when we rolled upto to the unload platform.... its still a really good ride, but its quite short.

And the lack of actual story line on the Haunted Mansion disappointed me. I really like the Phantom Manor, but I dont understand the story fully for obvious reasons, so I was really looking forward to hearing it all in English, but there just wasn't a story, yet there was a random bride who appeared a couple of times... Also the commentary done my head, but I guess thats there to make it a little less frightening for children? The bit at the end where they rip your face off is cool, though. Again, like Pirates, this is still a really good ride, but I was just a little disappointed at the lack of storyline, and for me, the 'Phantom' animatronics really make it for the Paris version.

With Buzz, I was really disappointed. What was with the random drumming noise in the queue line? Zurg's vioce wasn't the real voice... I dont know how old this one is, but I could do with an update IMO.

Oh, and one last thing..... all together now..... "There's a great big beautiful tomorroooow, shinning at the end of every day....." :lol:

marc

CF Legend
I have no idea what the story is for the Paris one tbh plus the effects at the end never work. I just tend to sit on the ride any enjoy it, at least on this one the effects and theming all seem to work. This one is also so old it was the 1st ride built in the park.

Buzz in Orlando was the 1st I believe and the worst out the 3 I've done. But it's just a shooter ride anyway all 3 are rather boring.

The best version of pirates is in California anyway.

I don't go to the parks to compare the rides anyway, ones in Orlando are so much older if the new ones are not better or the same then the newer parks have messed up :). But yeah you cannot help comparing them.

For me the best main park to look at is the one in Paris. For me the best one for the rides is California and I love the park, the best one for atmosphere and shows etc is Orlando.

Martyn B

CF Legend
The older Disney rides tend to get updated though, so I dont think the 'newer is better' works with Disney.

For example, you would never in a million years think that Pirates and Haunted Mansion are old rides.