What's new

Paulton's Park: 16th April.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Today i went to Paulton's for the first time ever. So, i thought i'd also write my first trip report as i often enjoy reading other peoples reports to get a feel of the park and how it's running.

Day started in Reading at 8am, we left shortly after 9 and arrived at Paultons at 10:25am, no traffic issues and Paultons was very easy to find from the M27.

We had bought print at home tickets so we went straight for the barriers where it seemed we had arrived with most of the masses. At this time i was expecting a busy day, it was sunny and it's still the easter holidays. I theorized that The Edge would have the largest queue of the day, as the parks newest and potentially most thrilling ride, so we headed over to that first hoping for a short queue, which we got. We only had to wait one cycle of the ride before our turn, but it did seem to load slowly, but that is to be expected with 40-odd restraints to check. I was sat next to a young girl who was a AP holder and she chatted at me about the park when i revealed i had not been before. It was really nice to see the enthusiasm kids have for the place. As for the ride itself: it's alright. I quite enjoyed myself, even felt a teeny bit of air-time over the hill, but wasn't bothered enough to get a re-ride when the queues got longer.

Next up was the Cobra (credit 45 for me). The queue looked long at first but the ride loaded and dispatched really fast and the attendents filled every seat, often calling out for parties of two, which we were. We were able to skip 3 or 4 families to get to the front in around 20 minutes. I was very impressed with the Cobra, very smooth i felt, with a nice layout.

After a quick snack, we occupied ourselves on a couple of the rides on that side of the park. I won my Astroglide race and was taken by suprise with the amount of whip felt on the back row of the tiny Flying Frog coaster (46). Looked at some birds... ornothologically, i was with my girlfriend.

It was about now that it struck me how clean and tidy the park was. It was a really nice oplace just to walk through, see some animals and look at a couple of water features. I really commend Paulton's with their upkeep and the appearence of the park.

Stinger (47) was next on the ride list, it made quite a roar, i could hear it before i could see it. We queued for 5 minutes and got on the penultimate car of an exceptionally long train. The back few cars really fly over the crest of the lift hill and provide possibly the most thrilling expeience on the day. The rest of the ride seemed to be about getting back to do the lift hill again, we were given two cirquits. Wave runner was really good, better than Depth Charge at Thorpe, IMO, because i actually got airbourne.

I won't continue to discride the other rides. In conclusion i thought Paulton's was a fantastic park, okay, the rides are for kids, but the park itself is a nice place to be and had a really friendly atmosphere that was generated by friendly staff and all attractions opperated all day. We left at 4:30ish.

Oh, and the Adventure Golf, just requires a deposit for clubs and 50p for a scorecard, pencil and winners badge (that i won, score of 33). Amazing value there, it'd be £3 per person anywhere else.

Ride Count:
The Edge
The Cobra x 2
Stinger x 2
Flying Frog
Astroglide
Wave Runner
Jumping Bean
Rabbit Ride
Pirate Ship
Viking Boats
Raging River
Sky Swinger
Adventure Golf

Walkthroughs:
Dinosaurs
Wind in the Willows
Magic Kingdom

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Haha, yeah, the roar from Stinger sounds imrpessive when you can't see it, alsmost B&Mesque, just a shame it's not one!

Surprised you didnt mention willy-lift from the Jumpin' Bean - it's immense.

Really glad you had a enjoyable day at my local fanboy park. I love the place, but you are right, it is for kids...or those with a childish mentality! Personaly I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ollie

CF Legend
You didn't do any of the walkthroughs? :shock:

Glad that you had a fun day. Paultons is a really nice park with a relaxing atmosphere.
Also Stinger has some amazing airtime in the back row as you go over the top of the lift hill. :)

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^^ Actually, although there was significant willy-lift from the jumping bean, i was more suprised by the willy-lift on Pirate Ship. Far more than expected from something that's only the same size as Thorpes banana ride.

I can understand your fanboyishness, Ian, i'm kinda sad i didn't go as a kid, it would have been even better, although i wouldn't have noticed the cleanliness.

^ and yes, i did the Dinosaurs, Wind in the willows and the Magic Kingdom. I thought the Dinosaurs was best, the Willows were good and the Magic Kingdom a little disapointing compared to the other two.