What's new

OTSR -- how can i avoid the pain?

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
I just got back from Italy, and ran over to Six Flags New England real quick. I've noticed everywhere I've gone, the OTSR's always kill my head. How can I avoid getting my head beat around. I end up with a headache on every ride from Vekoma to B&M. It happens in every turn, Cork, twist, roll, and Immelmann.

RCF

Strata Poster
Probably the best thing to do on most rides with OTSR's, is to anticipate the forthcoming element (whether it be a corkscrew or turn or whatever) but if you have been doing that, and you are still getting chopped, then maybe the rides don't agree with you :p

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
RCF said:
Probably the best thing to do on most rides with OTSR's, is to anticipate the forthcoming element (whether it be a corkscrew or turn or whatever) but if you have been doing that, and you are still getting chopped, then maybe the rides don't agree with you :p
yeah i try sometimes its just unavoidable, especially on Vekoma SLC's. I love them but they hurt soo bad. there's nothing i can do like lean forward or something, or sit slightly different?

btw Rush FTW.
played perts kit.

RCF

Strata Poster
Well you can normally adjust your position while riding and, while I haven't ridden a SLC, I've heard it's pretty much unavoidable to not get chopped. But if you're on another invert or something, you can adjust like slide to the left/right of the seat and that way you'll be adjusted to the first position you were in (if that makes any sense to you).

And indeed ftw, I'm going to see them in Sept.

A

Anonymous

I usually escape head bashing by pinning myself to the OSTR, I do this by fastening the OSTR as much as possible, pressing my shoulders against it and putting my head forward, it usually get rid of the worst thing.
Another thing you could do is to press your head to one side and do your best at keeping it there for the whole ride.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Holding your head forward usually works, like Loefet said. Another trick is holding your head against one side of the restraint. This brace position works quite well on SLCs.

Nic

Strata Poster
rollerdude said:
Holding your head forward usually works, like Loefet said. Another trick is holding your head against one side of the restraint.

This. The former is the only way I can even partially tolerate a ride on Colossus anymore. The latter helps to save my ears on Nemesis' Zero-G's.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Doing a brace position also works...

Basically cross your arms over the restraint and job done... Works well on Vekomas especially...