What's new

Other changes at C:WoA 2013

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Other improvements at C:WoA 2013

I wouldn't be surprised, especially with RMT, if it was something like mould that was a problem?

According to CWOA they're replacing the theming this winter, but whether that will happen I don't know. I was chatting earlier and concluded that unless people, not enthusiasts but real people, really kick up a fuss them Chessington will probably just leave it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

It'll be because the rockwork had been left alone for god knows how many years, and as such had got into such a state that a basic repair is beyond what could be done to make it suitable...

So it seems a tear it down and start again policy has been brought in, but since we never got the Falls rocks back the first time they did it...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Why do I feel this is rapidly becoming the most ironically titled topic on the forums..?

spicy

Giga Poster

See this on another forum, I assume it was an E-mail from CwoA:

The resort is pleased to announce a
£5 million upgrade plan is taking place at Chessington during 2013 & 2014.

The scale of this investment, and also the fact that the resort is open throughout the year for Zoo Days, means that all the works cannot be completed in the winter months and a certain amount of disruption cannot be avoided during the main park season.

Therefore you may find certain rides, attractions, and facilities may not be available at certain points during the season whilst work is carried out.

We will do our best to minimize any inconvenience and ensure that you will still have an amazing adventure here and we will post details of unavailable rides and facilities on this page and elsewhere online as soon as they are confirmed.

Our brand new attraction for 2013; ‘ZUFARI – Ride into Africa’ launches to the public on the 27th March and there will be more information about additional entertainment and amazing additional events throughout the year coming soon.

Again, we apologise for the disruption and appreciate your patience whilst we make your adventure even better for the future.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort.

£5 Million upgrade? Sounds promising, as if they are planning on re-themeing the rides rather than just removing the themeing and leaving them looking bare.

My fear is that this E-mail was sent out before the supposed H&S breach and I suspect that the £5million figure includes the hotel extension leaving barely any money for replacing the themeing.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Nah, sounds to me like it's a desperate last minute thing to make it sound like they've been planning on it for ages and have no choice but to close rides down during the season.

It's bull ****, plain and simple. If the whole park was open year round, then yeah they'd have to carry out maintenance while the park was open, but it's not. Plus, if that was the case they should've been able to post some kind of closure schedule beforehand.

It's bollocks the lot of it.

peep

CF Legend
Yeah I really don't get why this has happened and so last minute. Guest Services better get ready for an onslaught of angry guests.

If it ends up with the theming being re-built/improved on then fantastic but because of the way the park has acted over the years I find it hard to believe it'll look anywhere near something that could be classed as 'good'. Time will tell.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Thing is though, will people actually care? I hate to say it but I really think it'll only be enthusiasts who go *sadface*, I bet many people won't even notice/care enough to complain. Which then makes me wonder if they'll even go ahead and replace it.

peep

CF Legend
I think with runaway people will care because its the poor mans version of BTM at Disney, people love that the coaster meanders around rockwork, without it I think it'd drastically change their opinion of the ride. I doubt many people even realise it's the same ride as Flying Fish at Thorpe because the theming changes the appearance of it enough.

With other things around the park, yeah you could be right. Though the dragons (animatronic outside Fury and the Falls tunnel) will probably be missed.

marc

CF Legend
Tbh it's just a joke that a large company like Merlin can let a park get in a state like this. I've been saying for years the park was in a state.

I was shocked at gf just how badly Wild Asia has been looked after. The fountains were leaking and the water was so dirty.

As Gavin said that email just feels reactive like they had to get something out there.

I just hope the animals get looked after better than the rides there.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Its not down to Merlin entirely, its down to the parks themselves. I blame them as the rides manager are TOTALLY slack and up their own arses.

marc

CF Legend
Yeah know what you mean but at the end of the day the park is owned by Merlin so it's down to them as a company to make sure their staff are doing their job.

You would have thought after the accident last year they would have sent people in to make sure everything is up to scratch.

At least the Vampire station remains lol

nadroJ

CF Legend
Does anybody have an e-mail address I could contact to find out exactly why this is happening? I'd like to know the actual reason but feel like if I contacted them through the Chessington e-mail I'd get a generic, non-specific answer.

spicy

Giga Poster
I doubt that they would disclose that sort of information to just anyone.

I think it just has to be H&S, the rock work had either become unstable therefore unsafe, or the mould could have been potentially hazardous.

Just guesses of course but I can't think of any other reason.

Its just such a shame that the rock work and theming was left to rot and get into such a state of disrepair in the first place.

peep said:
Though the dragons (animatronic outside Fury and the Falls tunnel) will probably be missed.

Why is the dragon outside Fury being removed??

Martyn B

CF Legend
It's sad, because the theming was the main part of Chessy that I really liked, it made the park feel nice and quirky.

It does make you wonder what the management are upto... they need the theming to pull of the "adventure" that they claim the day out to be.

nadroJ

CF Legend
So:

Chessington said:
Dear Jordan,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The easiest way to answer your question is to direct you to this page on our website, which explains more about our multi-million investment programme to upgrade our existing infrastructure: http://www.chessington.com/updates/

I hope this allays any concerns you have.

Kind regards,

Graham

Doesn't answer the question as to why the stuff has been ripped out though, but at least they seem confident that it is going to be replaced.

Nic

Strata Poster
Eugh, that doesn't actually tell us anything. At all.

But it does give me another excuse to post this :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhTZtVy0CjU[/youtube]

spicy

Giga Poster
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't describe it as an upgrade if they weren't retheming the rides.

peep

CF Legend
^That is what I am currently clinging on to. I still fear for the worst though.

Just found a planning application for Chessie. They want to use the field next to Wild Asia for 200 camping spaces. It says to the West of the area so not sure if that means the patch of grass next to the Lorikeets or somewhere in the overflow car park area.

LINK