What's new

OpenRCT Server

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
[3/22 NEW MAP WITH CHEATS ONLINE]

Hey everyone!

As folks are finding themselves more and more at home with Covid response - what better time to start an OpenRCT Server!

Quite simply, there is a way to do multiplayer RCT2 using software called OpenRCT. A few CFers have been talking about doing this already, and felt the time ripe to go for it. I wanted to create an initial thread to alert folks, and will update this thread once the server is online.

[UPDATED WITH INSTRUCTIONS]
Step 1. Install RCT2 - GOG.com or original disc version are recommended, as the DRM-version on Steam can be finicky.
Step 2. Download OpenRCT2 - Specifically, download the latest release (current 2.6) - https://openrct2.org/downloads/releases/latest
Step 3. Install OpenRCT2, Open OpenRCT2 - will boot using the RCT2 root files
Step 4. Search for "CoasterForce" - password: coasterforce
1584920177890.png
Step 5. Join game and have fun!

General Rules for play

• Do not delete other player's work - only add attractions/themes.
  • Cheats are allowed and encouraged (especially free money) - just don't crash the thing.
  • Give me feedback! - This is our first run server, and expect to reboot the scenario/tweak as we go.
FAQ
  • I can't find the CoasterForce server - help!
    • Look for "CoasterForce" as the server title, which should list in the "Play Online with Friends" server listing, which auto updates. If you are still not seeing the server, double check the server list (https://servers.openrct2.io/) to make sure the server is indeed online. If the server is online, click "Fetch Servers" to refresh your listing, and double check your internet is connected.
  • I get an error message when connecting to the CoasterForce server - help!
    • Double check that you are running the OpenRCT2 software version that matches the server. We will be using the stable release versions, which periodically update every 4-6 months. The error message should indicate which version of the software the server is running, which you can download from the OpenRCT2 website (https://openrct2.org/downloads/releases/latest). You can also double check what version of software the CoasterForce server is running by checking the server listing (https://servers.openrct2.io/) and seeing what "Version" the server is reporting.
  • Which version of RCT do I need?
    • It is encouraged you use a DRM-free version of RCT2, such as the copy from GOG.com linked above. There are instructions for installing using the Steam edition, but instructions vary slightly. (https://openrct2.org/quickstart)
Let me know if you have questions (DMs are welcome), and will work best to respond promptly.

As of now, the server is online - let me know if you have issues connecting!

Attachments

• 1584920155776.png
    1584920155776.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Always thought it was a bit of a weird concept to be bulding things simultaneously, but I'm game to jump in and talk creative hacks for anyone who hasn't played much with all the bonus features yet.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah! Always wanted to give this a try. Now seemed as good a time as ever with home quarantines. :p

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Are there/will there be any specific rules for building in the server?

Other than that, I can't wait! I've always loved fooling around in this game with others.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Are there/will there be any specific rules for building in the server?

Other than that, I can't wait! I've always loved fooling around in this game with others.
Not really? Or at least, we'll do the first park, and things will probably go south, and then we'll tweak. :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Still having issues with integrating ports with the router firewall, and reporting back to the main server list. I'm going back through github to troubleshoot - if anyone has insight please PM me!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The server is online! Look for "Six Flags Over Wyoming", no password. Set as free to join.

This is a vanilla version of RCT2 - I will be tweaking and iterating the server over coming days to add in custom designed objects (just have to master some of the content). Build away, and know the server will be deleted/edited as we go along. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Worked out most of the kinks - have a new level up with no money and all cheats enabled. Just working to edit the Park DAT files to add in custom rides as a final move, but park is much more playable now!

Look for "CoasterForce" server, password: coasterforce (updated screengrab in first post too with reference)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Server is back up. Still having grief importing custom DAT files; I'll be toying with a new scenario to see if I can get it to work.

Question for the group - is the grid-style layout currently used still ok should we need to reboot the park?

Hutch

Strata Poster
Doesn’t matter to me. However whenever you get things settled I hope there won’t be too much jumping around to new scenarios? Would like to stick with a park for a while until it’s pretty much filled up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Doesn’t matter to me. However whenever you get things settled I hope there won’t be too much jumping around to new scenarios? Would like to stick with a park for a while until it’s pretty much filled up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. And I promise to minimize jumping.

Overall, still trying to figure out how to get custom files imported into the current scenario. It's my hope to use the scenario as is, be able to port in custom designed rides to give you guys a wider variety of options to build with, and not move scenarios at all. Worst case is we would do 1 shift to a new level; but still trying to work out how to not do the shift. :)

I'll also post to this thread for any major downtime - overall I will be shifting the scenario to a lower-powered computer rather than running it on my main workstation to save on the electric bill, but that will only be a few minutes of interruption.

Hutch

Strata Poster
In that case... I'll look into relocating Big Daddy Woody to the new park. Scenery was a WIP so not quite ready to abandon it yet.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In that case... I'll look into relocating Big Daddy Woody to the new park. Scenery was a WIP so not quite ready to abandon it yet.
Don't worry about relocating yet - I'll let you know when to start worrying. ;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I guess it was only a matter of time until someone tried to nuke all the rides. ?

Removed delete options for user access. LMK if you need to delete any rides.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Two quick things:
- Server is updated to 2.5
- The Drunk Riders podcast will be playing while streaming tonight at 9:30 PM EST - encourage folks to log in at that time!

Last edited: