What's new

On-Ride Coaster Effects

Kebab

Giga Poster
What is your favourite effect you have encountered on a rollercoaster and why. Did you get some kind of pleasure diving into Oblivions steaming hole, or did you flinch to death from the wetness of Infusions fountains and water sprayers?

Discuss.

Snoo

The Legend
Maverick's original launch tunnel effects.

Not many have experienced the pure ****ing awesome that was that tunnel. So simple, yet so awesome.. plus the fact I rode it in the pouring rain made it 10x as awesome.

No ride on Mavvy will ever equal those first few rides.

Ollie

CF Legend
^What happened in the tunnel? I thought it just launched with some smoke and lights down the side.

Snoo

The Legend
^They had the full gullet of things they 'claimed' they would have originally. Sound, voices, lighting (at the beginning and end of the launch), mist.. AND the launch. Just really epic to me.

Again, it wasn't a complex RoTM effect setup, but it worked well for the ride, blatantly adding to the experience.

Sad thing though.. it won't ever be coming back.

**** you Cedar Point for your dumb **** thought on even the smallest bit of themeing.

^ Yeahh, I'm upset I never got to ride it with the full theming, but I still enjoy the tunnel, mostly only at night though.

I'm one for splashdowns.. They're not amazing while you're on the ride really but I love the way they look offride. I haven't been on anything with really exceptional on ride theming, I mean, except for a few Disney coasters which I hardly remember anyway. Dark Knight was cool.. I guess.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The "Ghost Galaxy" projections on Space Mountain, Hong Kong Disney.

Not a coaster, but the fire effects on Pharaoh's Fury at Lotte World.

The crappy wtfness of the crowd cheering in the bullring on Bullfight Roller Coaster Matador.

Mist effects on Raging Spirits, despite being a crap coaster.

The water effects on Diving Coaster: Vanish, but only from off-ride.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
"Did you get some kind of pleasure diving into Oblivions steaming hole"

fnar fnar!

Revenge of the mummy
adventures of spiderman
and the disney tower of terror rides

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I do think that the Supernova effect on Space Mountain Mission 2 is awesome.

The different light shows that you encounter on Rock n' Rollercoaster (DLRP)/the signs and stuff on Rock n' Rollercoaster (WDW).

The mist on Oblivion promoting a sense of mystery.

Kebab

Giga Poster
gavin said:
The water effects on Diving Coaster: Vanish, but only from off-ride.
I've always been interested to see what that's like, it looks stunning from pictures. I want to ride Mystery Mine because some of the effects on that look great, such as the main drop towards the end of the ride. Wow! :p

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Fire on Valhalla, and the second drop into the mist and water tunnel.

Mist on Oblivion, the more the better.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
Top Thrill Dragster is awesome, having the motor revving, the tire squealing sounds, the bandstand, the lights, and everything else that makes it actually look like a real racetrack. It adds a lot to the ride.

I heard Disaster Transport used to have awesome theming back in the day, but all the effects have since fallen into disrepair and shut off, kind of like Maverick. I'm disappointed, because I actually like the ride, and I think it would have been cool with working sfx.

Bizarro's (S:RoS) audio going UP the lift hill is actually kind of interesting. I just wish it would shut off after you reached the top, because you can't actually hear any of it while you ride. The drop into the tunnel used to be neat, too, but now it has a huge Bizzaro sign over it, which kind of kills it.

Mean Streak has the effect of making you feel like you're going to dislocate a joint or two, but I don't think that was intended. :)

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I suppose Valhalla is worth a mention too, (even though, apparently,half the effects weren't working on the only time that I've ridden it) - I was still pretty stunned at the brilliance of it. :)

Emmett

Giga Poster
My favourite effects ever were the lights and sound on Revolution/Evolution at Bobbejannland. Its not the greatest of coasters but with the effects running there was just something very special about it. It was all very psychedelic and I kept going back for more.

Funky Monk

Roller Poster
I enjoy good on-ride music. Something well paced that fits with the ride. One of the reasons I want to ride HRRR.

Sometimes though, a ride doesn't need any effects. It would actually ruin the ride. The Ultimate springs to mind.

Jodabomb24

Roller Poster
Best effects:

1. The mid-ride elevator on Journey to Atlantis: SeaWorld San Diego

2. Signs et al. on Rock 'n' Rollercoaster: WDW

3. Flames+mist on the dive loop and interlocking corkscrews, respectively, on Bizarro: SFGA

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Revenge of the Mummy has the best on-ride effects of any coaster. It's amazing.

After that, I honestly think the effect Oblivion creates is one of the best out there. You get an immense sense of anticipation and being watched, followed by that really awesome drop into the hole.