What's new

"Old fashioned" attractions

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Do parks still invest in older attractions? Thinking about it, I can't recall any recent installations when it comes to an Enterprise or Corkscrew coaster.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Technology has moved on. It's the same reason people don't buy old computers anymore. New models are easier to design, easier to maintain, more reliable and, at the end of the day, NEW! Don't forget, the parks are trying to pull in guests they need something new, exciting and different. It's unlikely they'd get that from 'old' ride types.

That's not to say relocations don't exist, but they are in the minority.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Yeah like Hixee said, its all about technology evolving and the ride industry keeping up with the times. The only way you see an older attraction installed in a park is a relocation, that in itself would normally be a old ride going from a good or half good park to a really small one, prime example would be Flamingoland`s Corkscrew.
I should also imagine older ride models such as the original Corkscrew models are no longer in production.
Not to mention rides created by manufacturers no longer in business such as Schwarzkopf.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
What about the Vekoma Boomerang coaster? Parks continue to buy them even though the technology overall hasn't changed that much (minus the "giant" boomerang, and junior).

Ben

CF Legend
It's a pretty long time...

There's still all the chance of one appearing, but, saying that parks "continue" to buy them, is just wrong.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
That does make sense about rides becoming obsolete and parks maintaining the thrill factor with new attractions.

The standard Boomerang model may have reached the end of its life. The family version appears the be a big hit ATM.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^^Parks do continue to buy them...just second hand.

Most of these rides, like Vekoma corkscrews and boomerangs tend to be bought by smaller theme parks, like pleasurewood hills, or become travelling rides...

Mirabilandia brazil (yes, not Italy's) bought a corkscrew in 2008 and it is now one of their signature attractions!
http://www.rcdb.com/3701.htm

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
FaceYourNemesis said:
The standard Boomerang model may have reached the end of its life. The family version appears the be a big hit ATM.
I think it's a bit early to judge the success of the Junior Boomerang on just two installations!

I'm going to use the word "gimmick". It's my opinion that many parks would rather install a new/unique(ish) concept over something that many people have done before. That's probably why we don't see carousels and helter-skelters built any more; they aren't unique. In an age of easy marketing thanks to the scores of enthusiast and social media sites, it's easier to hype something that's unique or gimmicky.

Would you travel outside of your local theme park haunts to ride a new Enterprise or out-dated Corkscrew coaster? I know I wouldn't. Only a new cred (including a big apple) or concept ride would provoke me to make that journey.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I agree with CoasterCrazy and Colossus, above. The ride types you're talking about slowly get sold on and filter down the hierarchy of parks until they fall apart...

A B&M invert has even been moved on recently (see Walygator Parq), although it seems unlikely that custom signature coasters will ever move on (can't imagine Nemesis anywhere else!), I think it's likely that rides like El Locos and Zac Spins could easily travel down the ladder later in their lives.