Name ride types by:

• Official name

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NejiHyuga900

Roller Poster
When you see a roller coaster, how would you prefer calling the type of roller coaster it is? By the official name or by the name given in a RollerCoaster Tycoon game?

With me, I prefer RCT games because... well I prefer calling the Incredible Hulk Coaster a twister coaster rather than a launching steel coaster.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Whenever I see something like Nemesis, I ALWAYS call it Inverted Coaster 1. The real tricky times is when its a dueling ride, so for example, Stampida, one side is Wooden Coaster 1, and the other is Wooden Coaster 2, but for the life of me I don't know which is which, and what pisses me off even more is that the Mechanics can never find the ride entrance... I mean, ffs

Don't even get me started on Steeplechase, 3 tracks, my brain just explodes thinking about it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I hate it when I'm walking down the midway and the path suddenly vanishes under me. I kind of circle for a couple of minutes, then head of into a restricted zone and yell loudly about not being able to find the toilets.

Beyond that, I think (if you've played the games), this is almost a valid topic :lol:

When I first got into this whole enthusiast thing in 2004, I knew nothing about the industry, or what any of the ride types where; beyond what I'd learned from RCT.

I knew Nemesis was an Inverted coaster from that. I knew about Pipeline coasters, Virginia Reels, Wild Mice, Side Friction, Diving Coaster (oh, wait, that's Dive Machine, bad RCT). I knew Corkscrew was a Corkscrew coaster because of it's bloody name!!!

Erm, I lost it somewhere there. Anyway, it helped to "ease" me into enthusiasm. If you say "diving coaster", most people will know you mean "Dive Machine". However, I'm a long way from being a regular player of RCT, so I tend to keep things by their true names now :)

s15c

Mega Poster
Well, nobody else I know is an enthusiast, so when I say technical terms OR RCT terms most people look at me wondering what language I'm speaking. I've had to explain what a cobra roll is and what a dive machine and this and that is so many times it gets ridiculous. So I tend to use terms for the roller coasterly challenged (the ones where's you're under the track, B&M is the company that makes the rides with the loud roar sound, so on and so forth). But to answer your question, I like the technical classification system better. RCT had it ok, but they didn't involve different types of Intamin rides, so I shun them.

Mr. X

Roller Poster
Hey, it's not as crazy as it sounds! If I'm trying to explain a ride to somebody I know, I usually end up resorting to "It's the same as *insert coaster type here* in Roller Coaster Tycoon" and it usually works.

Jools

Giga Poster
When I explain to people I usually use the RCT name, but personally I call rides by there proper name, but actually most of RCTs name are pretty accuarte anyway other than Diving Coaster and Dive Machine which springs to mind, and I'm sure there are a few others.

Jer

Strata Poster
furie said:
I hate it when I'm walking down the midway and the path suddenly vanishes under me. I kind of circle for a couple of minutes, then head of into a restricted zone and yell loudly about not being able to find the toilets.

Oh god, lol.

But in all seriousness, I call stuff by it's actual name.

CMonster

Giga Poster
I guess it depends. Usually I use regular terms, but there are occasions where I use RCT names(I can't think of any atm).

A lot of times it depends on who I'm talking to.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I usuaslly use both as in like "that's a _____ but in Rct it's a ______." (couldn't think of an example so underscores will do)

When Playing RCT I usually say to myself what kind of coaster it'd be in real life and whose style of track they're using for it. e.g. LIM launch coaster: Premier launcher (don't know real name but that'll do), Premier or Vekoma track.