What's new

Ocean Kingdom | Unknown | Mack Water Coaster & SuperSplash

Martyn B

CF Legend
(Just to help beef up this section a bit...)

Here's a thread for the Mack Water Coaster being built at Ocean Kingdom.

http://www.rcdb.com/4123.htm

Roller Coaster: unknown
Amusement Park: Ocean Kingdom (Zhuhai, Guangdong, China)
Classification: Roller Coaster
Type: Steel - Sit Down
Make / Model: Mack Rides GmbH & Co KG / All Models / Water Coaster
Designer: Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH
Categories: Water Coaster
Inversions: 0

Nic

Strata Poster
Re: Ocean Kingdom | "Unknown" | Mack Watercoaster

There's also a separate listing for a SuperSplash. Is that a duplicate entry, or are they actually getting two water coasters?

http://www.rcdb.com/4122.htm

Roller Coaster: unknown
Amusement Park: Ocean Kingdom (Zhuhai, Guangdong, China)
Classification: Roller Coaster
Type: Steel - Sit Down
Make / Model: Mack Rides GmbH & Co KG / All Models / SuperSplash
Categories: Water Coaster
Inversions: 0

Seems a bit odd, although the massive woodie has apparently been scrapped? If they are getting 2 Mack water coasters, then I'll start a separate topic, but I need to be convinced first. Mind you, it's China, stranger things have happened.

Anyway, let's shove this in here for the fun of it -

2241017.jpg

Snoo

The Legend

Looks like a standard layout. Of course, if the theming looks like that.. win. BUT, it won't.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

They are getting 2 mack water rides. :)

ok1.jpg

Part of the watercoaster rises. (supersplash is in the background)

ok5.jpg

Supersplash also going up with pretty much the same colour track but different supports. The B&M is in the foreground still not vertical.

Source and more pics: http://vhcoasters.com

STC

Mega Poster

roomraider said:
They are getting 2 mack water rides. :)

ok1.jpg

Part of the watercoaster rises. (supersplash is in the background)

That looks like it could be a clone of Poseidon at Europa. Looks identical to its second lift and drop

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

The theming looks very seaworld-esque, will be interested to see how this looks once it's finished.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Why do Mack always make that funny straight bit on the top of the main drops decent, instead of a constant slope down?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^The whale shark sculpture is apparently 80m (262ft) tall. I can't find the link now, but I'm sure I read that the park is actually getting some whale sharks, too.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Holy crap, that's HUGE!

Has any aquarium or park ever had whale sharks?

BBH

Giga Poster

rollermonkey said:
Holy crap, that's HUGE!

Has any aquarium or park ever had whale sharks?

The Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta currently houses two, but at one point had four of them in their collections.

Posting from a comfortable spot.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ A few. Georgia Aquarium in the USA, Okinawa Aquarium in Japan. Hakkeijima Sea Paradise also got a couple recently which they actually include in one of their shows.

BBH

Giga Poster

gavin said:
^ A few. Georgia Aquarium in the USA, Okinawa Aquarium in Japan. Hakkeijima Sea Paradise also got a couple recently which they actually include in one of their shows.

That's interesting, I didn't know about the Japanese aquariums/parks. So there's a few, but they're not by any stretch of the imagination a popular aquarium animal.

Posted using The Force.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

BBH said:
That's interesting, I didn't know about the Japanese aquariums/parks. So there's a few, but they're not by any stretch of the imagination a popular aquarium animal.

Yeah, they obviously require huge amounts of space, which very few places can provide, and they don't tend to do very well in captivity, so housing , and replacing, them is incredibly expensive and ecologically questionable.

Ocean Park in Hong Kong had plans to get them, but decided that since they're essentially an ecological charity organisation, it wouldn't really be environmentally sound to capture and keep them. Mainland China and Japan have no such issues.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgeAA9v2OWw[/youtube]

Edit - Just had a quick look on Wikipedia and seems that there are actually a few more than I thought, including Osaka, Taiwan, and at least 2 places in China (probably more that we don't know about), one of which actually has five of them.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

^Im curious if any have lived to give birth. It is believed that the whale shark gives birth to 300 pups at a time, that would be some site to see.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^No. It's never even been observed in the wild. Biologists seem to think that they might not give birth to all 300 at once, but they're born in smaller numbers over a period of time.

In the past, the average captive life span was around a year and a half, now it's up to around 3 years, with some having lived longer and still going. When you compare that with a life span in the wild of 70-100 years, it's really ****.