What's new

Observation Rides?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
So I was thinking at work last night, my favorite views provided by parks are Dollywood and Cedar Point. However, despite the amazing views, none of them have an observation tower of sorts. By this I mean an observation deck accessed by an elevator or an Intamin sky tower with a rotating cabin. Cedar Point I could understand as they JUST had to blow theirs up. Dollywood, however, is a bit of a headscratcher. I've posted in another thread that I think a Polercoaster called Cliffhanger with a mountain lodge theme would make a nice addition to Wilderness Pass across from Tennessee Tornado, and with that I remembered their ten-year plan so it could be possible for them to take full advantage of the view their park has to offer.

Then I thought; where would they get one?

I can't say I've seen any observation towers even BUILT recently. Sure they're offering the Polercoasters and large Ferris wheels, but those aren't necessarily geared towards parks. Is the concept of a giant observation tower just dead?

So my burning questions here:
1. Which park needs an observation tower/ride?
2. How could they get it?
3. Do you think they are dead?
4. If not, in what form do you see them existing/coming back?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I honestly like Observation Towers and wish more parks had them I just don't see more parks adding them at this point because its hard to market and its a product that's been around for so long any park that's wanted one could have had one by now.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Legoland Malaysia has one that opened with the park a couple of years ago or whenever it was. Some of the Happy Valley parks opened with Flying Islands, as did Rainbow MagicLand.

I'll always ride them as they're always good for getting picture of the park and coasters, but work best if the park itself is in an interesting location. Legoland Malaysia is stuck in a flat area of nothingness, with **** all around it, making the whole point of it a bit confusing.

On the opposite end of the scale, you've got the one at Ocean Park, which is stunningly located and gives amazing views over the sea, mountains, islands etc.

njn63

Mega Poster
Space Spiral at Cedar Point cost 350k in 1965. Inflation adjusted that is $2.64 million. No idea if that is accurate to what it would cost today but it seems like a lot of money for something that wouldn't draw a large increase in attendance.

I think the closest you'll get to an observation tower being built these days will be a Sky Screamer or WindSeeker.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
I think parks would rather advertise a thrill ride than an observation tower. Parks probably think a 400 foot drop tower like Zumenjaro or a 400 foot sky screamer like at SFNE are easier to get people in the park and on the ride. I really enjoyed Hersheyparks tower, but parks now know to spend that type of money you have to add a thrill ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The fact that Six Flags and Cedar Fair just built a series of tower swing rides provides a pulse on what tower rides are most popular right now.

I'm not all that taken with tower rides. They are simply too docile - and may have been an attraction in a certain day and age but outdated compared to other attractions and designs. Space Spiral saw ridership plummet as the years dragged on.

I much rather prefer Ferris Wheels. They are classic, staple attractions, and more visually attractive than a stand alone tower.