What's new

Oakwood

Martyn B

CF Legend
What the hell's going on with this awsome little park?

Since Speed, there's not really been any news (possibly a take over? But thats it).

And I think I remember a rumour of the Bobsleigh being removed, but that never happened....

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
It's problem is there is no local competition, so it's just stagnant I guess.

I hope they don't take out the bobsleigh, since it's clearly the best thing there.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^ It actually is.

I went for the first time this summer and really enjoyed it, but it was pretty busy. Like Joey said, it has no local competition. If you're seeing steady custom and no need for a large attraction then why put one in?

I think another issue is, since it's quite isolated, you don't get people from all over coming in (unlike parks in the Midlands) so if you're 'area' of guests are already coming in, and a new attraction won't pull people from all over the country anyway because your parks quite isolated, what's the point?

nealbie

CF Legend
bezzzzzer said:
^ It actually is.

I went for the first time this summer and really enjoyed it, but it was pretty busy. Like Joey said, it has no local competition. If you're seeing steady custom and no need for a large attraction then why put one in?

I think another issue is, since it's quite isolated, you don't get people from all over coming in (unlike parks in the Midlands) so if you're 'area' of guests are already coming in, and a new attraction won't pull people from all over the country anyway because your parks quite isolated, what's the point?

+1

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Ever since a friend of mine started working there, I've had some interesting conversations with staff. Since Aspro took them over, they've been trimming costs everywhere:

* Entrance price went up to £19.95, without anything new being added.
* Staff no longer have cooked lunch, and have to bring in their own food.
* All entertainment staff were fired, but a few (I think two?) have been re-hired for facepainting.
* LOTS of shops & food outlets were closed: the chicken place is closed, the Hydro shop is gone, Brer Rabbit has no POV or shop, the dougnut shop has been merged with the ice cream shop.
* During non-peak times, there weren't enough staff to run all the rides (namely Waterfall).
* Ride ops got a substantial reduced wage.

The park hasn't been invested in, and doesn't get an allowance big enough to do so from Aspro. They're attempting to sell it off to someone else, namely Merlin. They had a look around, and came back at them to say that there was a lot of work to do to get it up to an acceptable standard. Supposedly, they've got to invest substantially before they can sell it on.

Rumour mill go!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
If they are cutting back, it means previously they can't have been making much profit. Or rather, profit acceptable for a medium-large company.

Merlin likely won't buy it though, if that's the case.

Like Bezzar said, I can't see how investing is going to make a difference. It's in the wrong place. It dominates local market, but it's never going to have the pulling power of other parks.

What's local tourism like? Why do people go to Wales (otherthanbecausetheyaremad) and how far is it from Oakwood?

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Pembrokeshire is a big tourist destination, and the location Oakwood's in is pretty near to places like Tenby or Narberth or something. Hell, they built Bluestone right next door, and that's apparently a draw for people who like a slightly classier version of Center Parks.

Caravanning is /so/ popular, and the difference between roads in the summer and in the winter is staggering. We get a lot of people, for sure.

I think the idea that it's hard to get to is interesting. It's pretty cheap by train (once you hit Wales it's practically free ;)), and that can get you to within 3 miles. It's very easy by road - you just follow the M4 until it ends, keep heading on that road towards the ferry and turn off when it tells you to. It's a mile up that road. I suppose it's just because Wales feels barren and empty :p

Oh, there's also no After Dark thing, so no fireworks or opening till 10PM. Only 6PM :C

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ That's rubbish! Sounds like the parks in trouble to me!

And they closed the chicken place?! That place was amazing!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ploddish said:
Pembrokeshire is a big tourist destination, and the location Oakwood's in is pretty near to places like Tenby or Narberth or something. Hell, they built Bluestone right next door, and that's apparently a draw for people who like a slightly classier version of Center Parks.

Caravanning is /so/ popular, and the difference between roads in the summer and in the winter is staggering. We get a lot of people, for sure.

I think the idea that it's hard to get to is interesting. It's pretty cheap by train (once you hit Wales it's practically free ;)), and that can get you to within 3 miles. It's very easy by road - you just follow the M4 until it ends, keep heading on that road towards the ferry and turn off when it tells you to. It's a mile up that road. I suppose it's just because Wales feels barren and empty :p

Oh, there's also no After Dark thing, so no fireworks or opening till 10PM. Only 6PM :C
You should work for the Welsh tourism board.

If this is true, then maybe major investment is what Oakwood needs to do. And maybe that's what the major cutbacks in the short term are for? Maybe that's being too positive. They could really do with a quality flat ride I think or another medium-large coaster to set them right apart from other Welsh parks which are basically glorified fairs.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
I sent them a message on FB the other day to get their act together :/ Doubt that I will get anything back.
Ever since Aspro have taken over NOTHING good has happened to the park! They seriously need to invest in something new! It's really depressing seeing a good quality park that had a lot of stuff going for it going in this direction! I say bring back McNamara!
At least he added a major new attraction every 3 years, which is totally acceptable for a small park!