What's new

Oakwood Announces Scream Park

Ollie

CF Legend
297747_10150307925384776_44307389775_7723286_178381768_n.jpg

Oakwood have finally announced a proper Halloween event. Looks like Brer Rabbit is getting a makeover and there will be a walk-through scare attraction at the Bowling centre (where Crystal Maze used to be).

Shame they can't bring the 'Fright House' back as that was meant to be really scary and intense.

Bowl-Horror-House-Website.png

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So they've changed the amazing Crystal Maze into something turdio?

Lofty

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Shame they can't bring the 'Fright House' back as that was meant to be really scary and intense.

Not being funny, but, the person who would have told you that, used to work in there as an actor, he's obviously going to be bias. I'm not being critical to him, as I'm the same, you feel the need to protect what you're proud of. But yeah, just saying :wink: .

This is great news though. I'm looking forward to seeing that they add to that bowling place. Let's hope it's just not your boring old dark walls, dark roof, Asda masked piece of crap. You know what I'm aiming at Ollie!

Lofty

CF Legend
Dave said:
A scare attraction? Nah.

Well, it is for Halloween :wink:

Looking at the poster: Don't go expecting anything good. They've just edited photos from Fancy Dress Costume websites. If they're not willing to spend money on advertising, don't expect anything from the actual event!

Ollie

CF Legend
Ian said:
The Crystal Maze was closed in July 2010. This was as a result of the licensor deciding not to renew the contract for them to continue running it. Apparently they fought as hard as they could to keep it open.
At least they're still trying to use the space the attraction took up. It actually covers a lot or space and is over 2 floors.

And I know Mark. Although Voodoo Mansion/Spooky 3D is quite a jumpy ride anyway. So if it's darker with cages over the top of the cars and you have actors hitting it with steel bars and chainsaws then it does sounds quite fun. :)

I wonder what they're going to do to Brer Rabbit. I'm expecting maybe a new soundtrack and just some decorations.

Anyway we'll have to wait and see what becomes of this. I think Scare Attractions UK are visiting it so we'll get a review from them. :)

Dave

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Ian said:
The Crystal Maze was closed in July 2010. This was as a result of the licensor deciding not to renew the contract for them to continue running it. Apparently they fought as hard as they could to keep it open.
At least they're still trying to use the space the attraction took up. It actually covers a lot or space and is over 2 floors.

To be honest it was quite dated, I mean it looked tatty back in 2008 and some of the games didn't work properly (ala mole stamper). Fingers crossed it makes a return with a better company!

And I know Mark. Although Voodoo Mansion/Spooky 3D is quite a jumpy ride anyway. So if it's darker with cages over the top of the cars and you have actors hitting it with steel bars and chainsaws then it does sounds quite fun. :)

If you count scary as a massive loud car horn blasted it at you from point blank range without warning then yes I guess it does make it 'jumpy'.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ollie said:

Yeah, it does sound fun, but in reality, when you've got a cage over you, you feel less-exposed, less vulnerable and actually a lot safer. It's the same when you're sitting in a train (Ghost Train). Subconsciously, you actually feel safer to have the car around you. Trust me, it's true ;)

ThrillJunkieUk

Roller Poster
Where is the information about the event inside the park. I thought the only thing they were doing for Halloween was over at the bowling place?

Looking at the official website the theme park is actually closed on Halloween with the last day on the season being Sunday 30th of October

Ollie

CF Legend
^When Oakwood released the event details ScareTour updated their Facebook page with "Oakwood Theme Park finally announce this years halloween event!. Looks like Brer Rabbit is getting a makeover and there will be a walkthrough scare attraction at the Bowling centre."

Also the maze in the bowling centre costs £3 to go in.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ollie said:
^When Oakwood released the event details ScareTour updated their Facebook page with "Oakwood Theme Park finally announce this years halloween event!. Looks like Brer Rabbit is getting a makeover and there will be a walkthrough scare attraction at the Bowling centre."

Also the maze in the bowling centre costs £3 to go in.

£3? Well, they need to make their money back on them Asda costumes from somewhere... :wink:

Ollie

CF Legend
News article from UK Park News.

UK Park News said:
Oakwood Bowl is set to be transformed into a terrifying ‘scare attraction’ in the run up to Halloween (Wednesday, October 26th – Saturday, October 29th).

The Pembrokeshire attraction, which is located next to Oakwood Theme Park, is joining forces with staff from the renowned Dragon Reptiles to create a unique live attraction ‘Horror House’ walkthrough.

It’s believed this will be the first time such an event has been held in Pembrokeshire and organisers are aiming to create a must-see attraction for brave-hearted Halloween fans.

Oakwood’s Anthony Crowdie said: “The ‘Horror House’ walkthroughs will be held in the evening from5.30-9pm.

“Participants will enter the ‘house’ in small groups and will navigate their way through darkened rooms where they will have a series of unexpected encounters.

“We do not want to give any more away at this stage but suffice to say that I was genuinely terrified by the experience…and I knew what was coming!” he added.

Based in Cosheston, the Dragon Reptiles Experience has won acclaim from across the UK for its own haunted house activities and staff believe that teaming up with Oakwood will provide the ultimate Halloween experience for visitors.

“The combination of live action, realistic props and both sound and lighting effects along with a selection of tricks and gags creates a truly unique experience which will offer an unforgettable treat for Halloween fans,” said Anthony.

“These types of scare attractions featuring live action were originally introduced to theme parks in the US and are now being developed here in the UK. We’re confident our ‘Horror House’ will provide genuine thrills and chills for even the most hardened of Halloween aficionados,” he added.

The Horror House will be open from 5.30pm-9pmon October 26th-29th at Oakwood Bowl, Canaston Bridge, Narberth. Admission is £3 per person and tickets are available on the door. For more information and to book visit http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk or call 01834 891622.

Haloween-Horror-House-Walkthrough-at-Oakwood-Bowl.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg
LINK

WOW. Looks how AMAZING those costumes look. ;)
At least it's another chance to go round the Crystal Maze area. Looks like they've still got all the themeing and stuff there. :)

Lofty

CF Legend
The only good costume is the Rabbit one. I've always loved that costume. They cost an absolute fortune.

The funny part is, they don't want to release any details, yet they say who they've teamed up with and that there's going to be "a series of unexpected encounters". Well, yes, dear, that is what a Scare Attraction is, plus, guessing they're going to be adding live reptiles that are with trained experts - which, by law, they have to do...

oakwood

Roller Poster
Hi all,
We're glad to see you're looking forward to Halloween already! I've been following this thread with interest for a few days and thought it was time to pop my head above the surface and confirm some bits for you!

Lofty, the costumes in the picture are actually our own and are not edited from some costume website. We took the picture with our own costumes and edited it ourselves. We also will be spending some considerable money on advertising FYI but since it is still only September after all, that's yet to come! We're really proud of what we're doing and of course we want to shout about it. Give it time.

You're more than welcome to come down to Oakwood Bowl and I'll take you through the walkthrough in a couple of weeks if you like, and you can see how scary it is for yourself - but don't knock it till you've tried it :)

Many thanks

Anthony
Sales & Marketing Manager

Ollie

CF Legend
Can I ask what's happening to Brer Rabbit as I've heard that something is happening to it for Halloween but not see it on any posters or anything.

I'd LOVE to come down and check it out. I've missed Oakwood loads so mixing it with Halloween would be great. Sadly I don't have much money and no transport so can't see how it turns out. Looking forward to the reviews though. :)

Lofty

CF Legend
oakwood said:
Hi all,
We're glad to see you're looking forward to Halloween already! I've been following this thread with interest for a few days and thought it was time to pop my head above the surface and confirm some bits for you!

Lofty, the costumes in the picture are actually our own and are not edited from some costume website. We took the picture with our own costumes and edited it ourselves. We also will be spending some considerable money on advertising FYI but since it is still only September after all, that's yet to come! We're really proud of what we're doing and of course we want to shout about it. Give it time.

You're more than welcome to come down to Oakwood Bowl and I'll take you through the walkthrough in a couple of weeks if you like, and you can see how scary it is for yourself - but don't knock it till you've tried it :)

Many thanks

Anthony Crowdie
Sales & Marketing Manager

That sounds good. I'd love to. I'm a nightmare for actually judging attractions before going through them, but I love being proved wrong, I really do, I don't know if I'd be able to make it, just due to the fact, it's my busiest time of year, for the same reasons as this event.

I'd love to see some photos and such though.

oakwood

Roller Poster
Hi Ollie, the details are still to be confirmed for Brer 100% but I believe the idea is that it will be changed into 'Scare Rabbit's Hollow'. It'll be a bit like the Fright House but the idea is that this time the whole New Orleans area of the park will look a lot more like a whole spooky area rather than just the one ride. As I say, we still have to work out the details with this yet and for various reasons it may change between now and then - but that's the idea. I'll start advertising it as soon as we're 100%!

Let me know if you can make it Lofty - we're doing a full run-through for the press on Friday 14th October and you're more than welcome to come down!

I'll make sure we get some pics (and maybe a video) online for you shortly after.

Many thanks

Anthony

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah if there's a way to film it so we can see how it turns out it'll be great. :) So will the Brer Rabbit thing be family orientated as I heard the Fright House was pretty intense.

I'm just glad that more parks are trying to start Halloween events. And the maze also allows people to go back into the Crustal Maze area which I loved when I lived in Wales.

oakwood

Roller Poster
Ollie said:
Yeah if there's a way to film it so we can see how it turns out it'll be great. :) So will the Brer Rabbit thing be family orientated as I heard the Fright House was pretty intense.

I'm just glad that more parks are trying to start Halloween events. And the maze also allows people to go back into the Crustal Maze area which I loved when I lived in Wales.

I imagine that Brer will be 'spooky' rather than 'horrific' - but the horror house at Oakwood Bowl will be proper scary (as we say in Wales!).

And yes - the old Maze area is absolutely perfect for what we want it to do - we're doing lots and lots and lots of work on it nonetheless but the Medieval section with the lights off is nothing short of terrifying, even without anything hiding around corners. I was there alone last week doing various bits and it's not somewhere I'd rush back to on my own in a hurry!