What's new

Oakwood 2018

bladeboy

Roller Poster
Oakwood is opening next week and their park map states that a new ride is coming this Summer.

They’ve also already ditched the Roald Dahl theme.

Attachments

• 9BFD6E30-44D9-493B-896C-E190914A7476.png
    9BFD6E30-44D9-493B-896C-E190914A7476.png
    828.1 KB · Views: 65

Sandman

Giga Poster
Proper balls up of a park. Their last investment was a total wash-out, how they can charge above £20 for 6 hours on that bomb site is beyond me. Best bit is there are nil transport links from Cardiff, which is where most of their custom would likely come from.

bladeboy

Roller Poster
Yup. I live in Cardiff and the first time I went I did it without a car. Needed a train and a taxi. Proper ballache.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I went from Swansea which is the closest city and it's such a hassle. If you don't want to fork out for a taxi from the station it's an hour walk along the side of an A Road with lorries honking and swerving round you. And then to get the train back you actually have to wave down the driver otherwise it won't stop and pick you up.

I actually liked the park itself, Speed and Megafobia are solid coasters, the bobkart is really addictive and Spooky 3D is a nice jumpy ghost train. If it's quiet you can do everything in under two hours but the place is fine for a park of its size.

Efan

Mega Poster
Jesus Christ I bet they won’t even go through with it. That’s how it usually works there.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Dahland already gone?
EoGyw-APn6ekT-v6YOGRN63BQmMcG34Jkj_vLoXdEefEbavK8FElHX1wI7_lKXq_HohcSpf25OrVpm_VsoJQf11qWcBc-8Sux0qPGUOKyr97QKCx2fx9EAwWZQrZijCjVwW4iDR9chlV2RhG989cMC3H2elf_RCBB4j6DQ8QsweiUeGGz_S6Nj_qDSbP1-xmbgyzT-gwy2oEZmlaPVo0XKPvjetLwR-l7LjagH0h_5Mv1oNEPGFzxYaLORduO-oIxneHQl95o5G0K65tSzlbBF6tfmD1Ew6GOYQaNpA4LsBLkZwwKKW2WolIqqGP_V2syB1_KN6YiGQYr5pLmRQ1fBxmUYOZqEn77mDs9HtAPhtwshTobsX1KLM1JSTDjpecggOcBYl0wtb2gM3jBv-XXXjeuV2OFtvWEvdYhFLi7A_kst3Hdh_P1zDPp7IA9dJTWFtDMblGZWqLP_F3hQLNl0icAhwJOJXmd-73oPru5J--uz6Z-v-6sxOEv0QV2mK9RQY2-4DZT1DfagPxD74mPIauW9O8RChkgzqZOLa58sMCCWSHQooxxnATyuXxZV4WCyfj2WmfxXVIhDRdiTLgWXLFQQkm-yP6GEhF02A=s177-no

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I take it Oakwood not worth the trek from London then? I'm only interested in Megafobia but it's a long drive for one coaster. Been putting it off for about 10 years now!

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Theme a coaster to Dahl, lose it the next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the theme was actually revoked by the Dahl IP holders due to the quality of the final product to be honest.
It's worse than that - they didn't even ask for permission in the first place!
Apparently they used Roald Dahl and his characters without purchasing any licence and so the Roald Dahl Story Company, led by the author's grandson Luke Kelly, issued a writ in February accusing Oakwood of passing off and infringing trademarks and copyrights.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
It's worse than that - they didn't even ask for permission in the first place!
Apparently they used Roald Dahl and his characters without purchasing any licence and so the Roald Dahl Story Company, led by the author's grandson Luke Kelly, issued a writ in February accusing Oakwood of passing off and infringing trademarks and copyrights.
I don't understand why they wouldn't check?????

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I don't understand why they wouldn't check?????
Crazy, isn't it? Benefit of the doubt, they may have thought the works of Roald Dahl are public domain like the Peter Pan stuff they've installed nearby. However, I did have my suspicions when the Peach artwork was revealed last year (it didn't quite look like official Dahl imagery) and if you look at the actual branding there's no mention of Roald Dahl on the rides. I reckon they thought a peach was generic enough to get away with it and there'd be goodwill from the locals.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
"We believe your new attractions are using properties of the Roald Dahl Story Company without permission, which is against copyright laws"
"Nonsense!"
"Your new area is called Dahland?"
"Named after a....a....mate of mine, called Ronald Dahl"
"You have a ride called James and The Giant Peach"
"We have a ride themed to A James, who happens to have A giant peach"

Lofty

CF Legend
Omg that's amazing. How would you just have the audacity to spend that much money and not check? It's not as if they're just a small family owned park - they're part of a massive chain with a huge legal department and everything. My god.