What's new

"Now Showing"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I really like Crimson Peak as well. Pretty sure I reviewed it here earlier, but can't remember.

If you don't like gothic-style horror, then you won't like/get it, but for me it was like a mix of Woman in Black and something Edgar Allen Poe would write - very Fall of the House of Usher.

peep

CF Legend
Grimsby

I like Sacha Baron cohen, I think he's made some very funny films. I also really like Mark Strong, I think he's a very good actor that doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Such a shame then to report that this film is just crass, gross and just doesn't really work. The main villain gets about 3 minutes on screen, wtf? The first person perspective action sequences were fab though (really looking forward to the film which is just that). I chuckled a couple of times but most of it I was just either grossed out or just didn't understand why it was meant to be funny (I'll admit the majority of the audience laughed a lot more than I). I think it's one of those films which you're either going to find hilarious or very poor.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So in a nutshell, Mad Max won basically all the technical awards, Chris Rock made a lasting joke on how there were no black nominees, Girl Scouts sold cookies, and Leo finally won.

Dave

CF Legend
[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JINqHA7xywE[/youtubevid]

I can't quite make up my mind on what to think of this trailer?

However the ghosts look way over polished, needs to be more subtle....

Dave

CF Legend
"Now Showing"

Went to the cinema and watched Deadpool this morning. I heard a lot about it and my expectations were raised. But its a fun movie, not amazing, but good fun! It has some brilliant 4th wall breaks, best one alluding to a lack of other xmen in the film. There are lots of laughs but they're very quick, was hoping for some more laugh out loud moments. The only one I laughed for longer than the joke lasted was his fight with colossus, that was hilarious.
But its something very different to the wishywashy Marvel films and whatever Week of Ultron (not an Age) was meant to be?
Look forward to seeing how a sequel develops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Saw Zootopia today. It was pretty good. It's no Lion King or Frozen, but it's still a really nice film. There were quite a few references(the bootleg Disney movies were my favorite. <3 ) and a tad bit of slapstick(not a lot, though). Overall, it was put together well and had a nice mystery case. I'd recommend it.

peep

CF Legend
^Really looking forward to Zootopia, we still have a few more weeks till it's released here.

Hail, Caesar!

I was looking forward to this, the trailer was great. So I was a bit disappointed to find that all the amusing moments in the trailer were the only amusing moments in the film spread out in what was quite a boring film that didn't really go anywhere. It's a great cast that don't really do much. Such a shame because it looks fantastic and with this great cast it should have been great fun but so little actually happens that it ends up just feeling like a waste.

London has fallen

So, Olympus has fallen was a bad film, but in a fun way. This film manages to be so bad it can't even be enjoyed on any level. The inaccuracies throughout the film and the constant plotholes just made me angry. It was just really poorly made and removed any remote chance of it being enjoyable. Just avoid.

Truth

Based on a true story of some CBS journalists going public with some files and then everyone making it out as if it was all made up resulting in their careers going down the drain. I'd never heard of this happening so I found it all really interesting/frustrating. It helps that the cast were absolutely awesome, made something that could have been quite dull, very intense and riveting.

nealbie

CF Legend
London Has Fallen

Mindless action thriller done right. At least on a pat with Olympus Has Fallen, possibly better. Great stuff, brilliant acting, awesome shots and special effects. Everyone go watch it and definitely pick it up for a fiver on DVD when it comes out.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Watched The Revenant last night, apart from the hoopla about Leo finally gettig an Oscar and something about Bear Rape I had no idea what to expect.
Cue a film with a wonderful setting being exploited for beautiful shots at every moment, even the opening scene with the water running before Leo and Son arrive, went on for ages and while nice to have that serene setting for a while, was too much.
The part
when Leo found Hawks body and it went from that view to the sky and clouds with just Leo's breathing
was literally to gain award votes, I actually laughed at the audacity to put something so obvious in, Wife shot me an evil look as "that's supposed to be a sad bit you twat!"
Unfortunately there were many parts which were in this same vein, where I couldn't just enjoy the movie but was looking for obvious award scenes.

I liked the idea of the story, Tom Hardy was very hateable and there were some great scenes (riding off the cliff into the tree), but it was a bit too much for me. 7/10

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
London has Fallen
I enjoyed Olympus has Fallen a lot, so I was excited for this movie. **** goes down, but the special effects I felt were awful. The bad special effects gave the movie a made for TV vibe. I did enjoy it, just wish the special effects would have been better.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
London has Fallen

Really good, I was a huge fan of Olympus has Fallen so was excited to see this. I was a little let down though I won't lie, the first half an hour, I just felt like 'yeah, bombs, seen this before', plus, and for me that's kind of the point with this sort of film, it felt so ridiculously far fetched I just couldn't take it seriously, plus the effects were generally less than satisfactory. The next hour redeemed it, loads of action and tension, with quite a mind blowing finale...with another **** bit of CGI at the end for good measure. Really good...but not amazing.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Finally got a bit of time to sit down and watch Amy in all it's glory. Luckily for me, it was featured on 4od after winning Best Doc at the Oscars, so I didn't need to waste time torrenting or looking for a good seeder :wink:

Anyway, the documentary is essentially a finely edited compilation of intimate footage taken at different moments throughout Winehouse's private life and career, with occasional commentary from close friends and family members. I thought the documentary was a fantastic attempt to shed some much needed honesty on a very enigmatic and in many cases notorious figure who has been constantly vilified throughout her career. Aside from it being quite a lengthy documentary (over 2 hours long), I thought it was an exceptional piece of work that resonated with me quite quickly. 8/10

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Hail, Caesar!

Like...what? I did enjoy the film and it made me laugh but like...what was the point? xD Maybe I'm being unreasonable, it was a good film, great cast, I always love it when really good actors act as if they are bad actors, it's fab. The film isn't what I was expecting but I did enjoy it I think? It's a weird one!

TarinMaria

Mega Poster
Re: "Now Showing"

The Forest:

The start of the horrors of 2016! Yes!
A film about the 'suicide forest' set in Japan?!
Shame that the typical Japanese horror style was missing...
The acting was fair, the plot was okay. It was one of those films that messes with your mind so you never know what's reality and what's not. Problem is, if you've seen a film like that before, you could probably see the 'not' very easily. A predictable but decent plot twist.

All in all, a very average start to the year.

5/10

The Other Side Of The Door:

Set in India, a family lose their young son in a car accident. Prompted by her maid, the mother goes to speak to her son in an ancient temple. She is told not to open the door. She opens the door. Chaos ensues.
It made some use of the Indian setting, with okay acting, minus the little girl who was a bit dreadful. Scares aplenty, and some fair tension, they even managed to sneak in some religious knowledge. Croaky croaky woman was scary.

Give it a watch, it's not half bad, just don't expect a work of art or anything new.

6/10

peep

CF Legend
Zootropolis

I really loved this film. Thought the animation was beautiful, it was funny and it actually had a decent story with a moral that is extremely relevant at the moment (without jarring with the rest of the film like most other animated features that go on about issues). It's just a joy to watch and I'll probably watch it again when it's on general release.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
10 Cloverfield Lane

Having followed closely the ARG for Cloverfield I was pumped for this one. Then I wasn't able to follow this one as much as I hoped. To avoid spoilers, I waited until after seeing the movie to catch up, I recommend doing it the opposite.

John Goodman was fantastic and creepy, but the ending felt forced. The connection is very subliminal and relates to deleted scenes. Even that is a stretch. This is nothing like Cloverfield, but a great movie regardless.

Zootopia

Felt quite preachy at moments, like extremely so, but it was fantastic. Visually, one of best I've seen. One moment I swear it was real trees. Great movie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Haven't posted here in a while, so a few from the last couple of weeks.

London Has Fallen

I wasn't expecting to like this, but I did. It's a load of old nonsense really, but I enjoyed it. I preferred the first half though, when s**t's getting blown up, over the second half which is basically an hour-long machine gun fight and got very tedious.

Hail Caesar

Loved it. I'm really into old Hollywood though, so I perhaps appeciated it more for that reason. It was funny in a clever kind of way, not laugh-out-loud hilarious, but all very well done.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

It's obviously a load of old s**t, but I thought it was fab! It's totally ridiculous, obviously, but I thought it was great. If you're unfamiliar with Pride and Prejudice, then you'll still be able to follow it easily, but knowing the source material would definitely help in appreciating it a lot more.

Zootopia

Excellent film, but:

peep said:
it actually had a decent story with a moral that is extremely relevant at the moment (without jarring with the rest of the film like most other animated features that go on about issues)

Seriously? It's the most preachy thing I've seen in ages. The message was rammed down your throat constantly throughout the film. Well, multiple messages really, starting with the obvious "FOLLOW YOUR DREAM; YOU CAN BE ANYTHING" crap that's ubiquitous these days. Glad they moved on from that fairly quickly to something with a bit more substance. That's all fine though; it's essentially a film aimed at kids, so they can't be too subtle with the message, but it was very heavy-handed. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, or that the point isn't relevant at all, because I really did and it really is.

peep

CF Legend
10 Cloverfield Lane

I quite liked this, it was very tense, John Goodman was terrifying. I felt like there were some dull moments but I think overall it worked quite well.

High-Rise

Really bizarre and I have absolutely no idea what the hell was going on or why. The cast were great but ultimately if I don't understand what's going on I'm not going to enjoy it. Two people walked out in my screening and the audience reaction when it finished was a collective "wtf?". I still have no idea why anything that happened, happened. Silly film.