What's new

Norway News: TusenFryd 2013 - £5m dark ride

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Epic Bump!
With News!

Ever heard of ABC rides? Not? Well, there's a reason. They made a kiddie in Germany this year, and now seemingly all of Norway has a deal with them. New for 2009 in Norway, I present to you:

A new ABC mini freefall ride at Hunderfossen Familiepark in Oppland, Norway! *no applause*

An ABC Splash Battle at Kongeparken near Stavanger, Norway! *less applause* (we're talking western Norway here. Keyword: rain)

aaaaaaannnnnd......

*drum roll*

An ABC vertical ride at TusenFryd! *applause*
Accroding to Trips 'n' pics, it will be a "Vertical dark ride with 4 12-passenger vehicles moving along a 18m tall tower"
I have no idea if that means a coaster or not. Do anyone have more information on the model?

Source:
http://www.trips-n-pics.com/tips/coming ... #tusenfryd

Thanks to loefet.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Good news, but there's nothing in their current ride line-up which matches.

Sounds interesting... abc do a huge variety of rides!

Hurri

Mega Poster
Rumour has it the Norwegian chap who bought Raging River from Adventure Island has completed the refurb/rebuild and will be opening it next year. No idea where, but somewhere in Norway.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Could you tell more about what sort of ride that is, and I'll try to find it!

Hurri

Mega Poster
It's an Interlink Log Flume, info and photos here...

I think the guy was planning on adding bits, removing other bits, making a new layout generally.. Although all the sections of trough were numbered when it was removed so who knows. Would be interesting to see it in its new home.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Thanks!

At the top of my head, I can think of five parks in Norway: TusenFryd, Kongeparken, Kristiansand dyrepark, Bø Sommarland and Hunderfossen familiepark. All except for TusenFryd are heavily branded as family parks.

TusenFryd already has a log flume. It is quite short, and not as steep, but in terms of annual riders, it's the most popular ride in the park. Not likely to go, then.

Kristiansand dyrepark also has a log flume, longer and steeper than TusenFryd's. It's one of three thrill attractions there, so it's not likely to go anywhere.

Hunderfossen has a rapids ride (small) as one of its primary attractions. They will also get a mini abc Freefall for 2009, and besides, they have three "family thrill" attractions. (Go Karts, a Swinging Ship and an elevated obstacle course). An eventual water ride would not be anytime soon.

Kongeparken will get a Splash Battle in 2009. They already have one of these boat splash rides, like the Tea Trays, if I'm not mistaken. However, they have expanded rapidly the last years, and may want to replace the manual, low-capacity Mega Splash with a flume ride.

And last, Bø Sommarland, which is primary a waterpark. Their water consumption is already the largest in the county, but if they have an excaptionally good deal, they may want to use even more. To me, it doesn't seem very likely that they want to build a water ride as their first non-bathing semi-thrill ride.

So it seems like we may expect the log flume to pop up in Kongeparken, then. I'll search for more info.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Small bump with small news:
According to TusenFryd's web site, a new show will come to TusenFryd next summer:
The TusenFryd website said:
I sommer kommer Riksteaterets jubileumsforestilling til TusenFryd. Følg med på denne siden for oppdateringer!

«Vårens spektakulære eventyrreise tar i bruk det ypperste av akrobater, skuespillere og animasjon i verdensklasse.Ta med familie og venner og forbered deg på en fantastisk teateropplevelse».

After running it through the translator said:
Next summer, the National Theaters anniversary performance comes to TusenFryd. Watch this page for updates!

"Our spectacular adventurous journey uses the best of acrobats, actors and world-class animation. Bring family and friends and prepare yourself for a great theater experience."
Source (Norwegian): http://tusenfryd.no/underholdning/drapen.aspx
And (also Norwegian): http://www.riksteatret.no/db/production ... 9888&det=1

So far, so good (and really boring). But then there's a flaw. As far as I know, TusenFryd has no show arenas large or advanced enough to house such a show. They have an open amfi theatre, but the stage isn't big enough to allow much acrobatics, nor does it have much technical equipment. It's therefore possible that next year's addition is a show hall of some sort, beside the abc ride. Boo.

And again, I think it's Vikinggården (the Viking Farm) that is to face the wrecking ball for this to be built. It's only open from June 28 to August 10, covers a large area and has next to no draw. It's also in a desolate area of the park, behind SuperSplash (anyone who's been there will know about how remote that is).

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^A bit like in German. "Fahrt" means "Ride" or "journey" or something, so "Kanofarten" means "Canoe Journey". It's also a pun on Kanefart, meaning "sleigh ride" or something.

But I have other reasons to bump this:

---- **** NEWS! **** ----
http://www.loisirsattractions.com/en/node/593

ABC said:
In partnership with the ABC Rides Switzerland, Theming and Animatronics (TAA Industries) launches two new Dark rides in 2009. The first, Dracula, is an original and “worrying” trip. Thirteen scenes have been imagined with very promising scenarios and design. A visit to the lair of Count Dracula, in Transylvania: Several routes can be chosen (either by the visitor, or by the show control), vehicles equipped with harnesses advance, retreat, turn 360°, more or less rapidly, for greater realism. Special effects are integrated into the seats, including a breath of air on the neck that simulates a bite of the vampire. Note that the design can be fully adapted to the needs of the park, with more or less scenes or more or less capacity.

The second novelty is a vertical Dark ride designed to occupy cramped spaces.
Principle of operation: a square central tower around which are installed four chariots carrying 12 passengers. They rise floor by floor uncovering the different scenes. Once the various floors visited, carts return back down to the ground, the tower rotate on their axis before further exploration. The surface area is thus limited to 400 sqm with a height of 18 metres. The first copy should be delivered in Tusenfryd (Norway).

So all in all, possibilities are that the new TusenFryd ride is to be called Dracula. I think such a semi-horror ride will be the end of the ghost house, which suposedly is crap anyways.

And by the looks of it, the only comparable ride model is Tower of Terror, though that one is three times bigger.

Credit for the find goes to member "Even" on the Norwegian Coaster Forum.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
TusenFryd has announced SpinSpider. It's a Zamperla Pendulum, contradictory to what's stated earlier. And it's HUGE. HUGE. 44 meters.

Source
Another Source
Help
_attraksjon05_jpg_989987a.jpg

And it will be the biggest and fastest attraction at TusenFryd, and as far as I know, the fastest in Scandinavia.

Credit goes to member "Even" on the Norwegian Coaster Forum.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That will be superb! Great addition to the park - you lucky, lucky bigger :lol:

A

Anonymous

^^ Looks really nice, but I still think that it might suck compared to the Zamperla Discovery.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^It may (hmm... now, what is a Zamperla Discovery again...), but it will haul in the GP big time, and it's appearently better than an ABC Vertical Dark Ride. I was expecting a lame Ghost-house something, and gets one of the biggest flat rides on Earth instead. Even though the ABC Dark Ride could have survived a bit on the "Twilight"-boom, I think this mahoosive addition will bring in a lot more customers. Which in turn gives more money (hopefully to be spent on upgrades...)

What's interesting, however, is the fact that ABC still states that TusenFryd will get one of their rides, but actually doesn't specify when. The article I linked to said that SpinSpider has been in the planning since this autumn, which after all is a damn short time for such a big ride (getting permission is far easier outside NIMBYland). Maybe they realised that they simply couldn't compete with Denmarks 2008 and Swedens 2009-addittions, cancelled or moved the after-all-pretty-minor Dracula project, and decided to build something that would make Norwegian families reconsider the Sweden trip this summer and go to TusenFryd instead?

And if so, will they listen to the GP and give the Haunted House the nice little addition it so deperately needs (a couple of kisses from a wrecking ball), and realise the Dracula project in '10? And if that will come true, when will we see a new coaster? I was hoping for 2011, but that may be delayed at least a year if they go for that solution.

A

Anonymous

^ The Zamperla Discovery is a smaller version where you sit facing inwards. I have ridden them at Liseberg (Spin Rock) and at Kyungju World.

tornado.jpg

One of these.

And after my experiences with different types of this kind of ride, then the Zamperla Discovery's are the ones that have given the best rides, and the other ones are not even close.

Still good news for Tusenfryd though.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Is that big swing thing bigger than the one at Bobejaanlaaaaaand? If the cogs moved, it would look pretty sweet.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^It will be the biggest in the world, I'd say. A clone of the "as-big-but-not-as-awesome-because-it's-not-in-Norway" model alreasy installed in China.''

And What? Family coaster? They already have two kiddies plus Loopen, which if ridden in the middle seats qualifies as a family coaster. I hope that will mean the end of Dragon, it's essentially a mess of track welded to a caravan, or a portable ride that never left (same goes for Loopen, and most of TusenFryd's earlier rides). Just as long as they keep Teeny-Weeny, I'll be happy.

And I have no idea what happened to the ABC Rides ride. Hopefully, it will replace the Haunted House or even Loopen (or both. It would maybe need all that space).

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Update!

Yeah, minor, I know, but TusenFryd has got a new website.

http://tusenfryd.no/

The 3D map is down, and a few things are yet to be fixed (Find the Lorem Ipsum!).

They have also started to categorise the attractions after intensity, where Loopen is put in "medium" (2 out of 4). That may mean that the management has decided to scrap it, as SpeedMonster fills its niché as an inverting thrill ride. Also, it's very tame, yet rough and with inversions, so it's useless both as family ride, and thrill ride. It's just the coaster you ride once, to have ridden them all. It's very possible that the rumoured Family Coaster is going to replace Loopen.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Triple post in this most bumped topic on the forums:

SpinSpider opened to the public today. I'll go to the park on Wednesday, expect pics and a review then.

Also, in a newspaper article I read, they had interviewed the CEO of TusenFryd. She stated that the park had a vision of renewing itself every three years (1998 - SpaceShot, 2001 - Thundercoaster, 2004 - SuperSplash, 2006(this is where they lost count) - SpeedMonster, 2009 - SpinSpider), so I guess we'll see the next big attraction there in 2012 (and a few years of lameness in between). I really hope that a Family Coaster is small enough not to be the awesome new thing in 2012, that the budget fits it in already next year.
There was plans of developing a new area of the park this year, but SpinSpider is placed between ThunderCoaster and SpaceShot, which by no means is a new area. I guess this was scrapped along with the plans of Dracula, and this is where we will see the eventual Family Coaster.

Now well. As said, pics will follow on Wednesday.

Ollie

CF Legend
Can you do that house thing I was talking to you on MSN about as well? Would like to know what that is like. :)