What's new

North Wales, Chester & Liverpool, small parks PTR

Emmett

Giga Poster
On my way over the visit a friend in Chester I decided to make a few stops along the way to catch some of the small parks along the North Wales coastline and then catch a couple more parks the day after in the Liverpool area. My friend had told me about a large funfair which was situated near the Chester racecourse. Seeing as it was the final day of the fair I decided to stop off there too and catch some rides. I started of first by visiting Tir Prince leisure park in Towyn near Rhyl, which is home to a Pinfari, a Wacky Worm and a selection of flat rides.

Next up was Knighlty’s Amusements which is located just a short walk away from Tir Prince, the small park is located between a sea wall and rail line with no road access to be seen so I’ve no idea of how they ship rides in and out. I’d actually spotted the Dragon Coaster a few months back when passing on the rail line and it was only recently it had been entered onto RCDB.

On my way back to Rhyl train station to catch the train to Chester I had a little walk down to the seafront at Rhyl and take in the delights of the promenade. They still had the small kiddie funfair near the seafront and it was funny to see the Nessi coaster was still there. The area still looked as bad as ever and even with all the regeneration there is still a bad atmosphere surrounding the town. I quickly snapped a few shots just in case I got mugged and I quickly got out of there.

Next up was the Pat Collins Funfair just outside Chester City centre. The usual flat rides were there along with lots of stalls and food outlets. I took it easy and only did the Ghost Train which looked pretty good from the outside but was nothing special and the Runaway Train which was a short oval kiddie coaster which I barely could fit into. £2 for 9 circuits was pretty
good but I nearly ended up with no knees due to them banging off the front of the carriage on each drop.

The next day my first stop was New Brighton just across the Mersey from Liverpool. Wallis’s Family Fun Fair is located just behind the Bright Spot Amusement Arcade just across from the seafront. The park is home to a Go-Gator, Caterpillar coaster, fun house and some kiddie flat rides. The best thing about the park was the chips and ice-cream they sold, they were
lovely best I’ve had for quite a while. Nice little park but more aimed at kids.

Finally it was a quick trip up to Southport to hopefully ride the Indy coaster which I missed a few weeks ago. Again the park was dead when I arrived with most of the staff looking very bored and dying for customers to turn up and ride something. I only bought enough tokens for the coaster but had to fork out £3 overall to ride it. I knew what the layout was going to be like, but the theming was possibly the worst attempt I had ever seen. After a brutal 3 circuits with the whole train the myself, I couldn’t wait to get outside and have a laugh at how bad the coaster is. Also there must be some copyright issues with it as they are playing the theme tune
constantly and using the name on the sign. A quick look around the park revealed a Go-Gator had been brought in since my last visit and I then had a quick look at the area where the fire had recently taken place just before rushing back to catch the train.

That’s enough writing for now, here are the photos.

Towyn, North Wales
P1010630.png

The largest coaster on my trip, the Z40 Roller Coaster.
P1010632.png

The park also features a market and horse race track.
P1010654.png

P1010576.png

Waltzer.
P1010579.png

It wasn’t too bad and I was expecting worse, but the brakes were lethal. The car would nearly come to a complete stop each time.
P1010582.png

More flat rides.
P1010587.png

P1010642.png

The Crazy Caterpillar coaster. Another one for my count, to go towards the Caterpillar Coasters topic.
P1010655.png

The Indy Karts.
P1010663.png

Next up was Knightlys Leisure Centre which was just a short walk from Tir Prince.
P1010629.png

The only way in is to cross over the rail bridge.
P1010626.png

Not too much here and I only visited to get the Dragon Coaster which I had spotted on the train a few months back.
P1010620.png

The place was pretty dead apart from most people doing the Dragon Coaster. The weather on the day probably didn’t help.
P1010594.png

P1010596.png

P1010601.png

The view of the Z40 Roller Coaster at Tir Prince in the distance.
P1010605.png

Mirror Maze attraction.
P1010613.png

The Go-Karts look pretty good but there isn’t really much else to keep you there for any longer. So it was back off to Rhyl for me.
P1010620.png

Down at Rhyl promenade and Nessi was still here.
P1010676.png

The Rhyl Sky Tower just up from the funfair. I don’t really think there is going to be much scenery to look at from up there judging by the state of the town.
P1010673.png

Nice to see the regeneration is coming along well.
P1010671.png

Next stop the Pat Collins funfair in Chester.
P1010740.png

P1010701.png

The usual attractions were here mainly flat rides, fun houses, ghost train and a small roller coaster.
P1010706.png

The Buzzin Booster.
P1010715.png

P1010752.png

The view from the fair entrance and one of the many funhouses.
P1010737.png

The Ghost Train looked pretty good from the outside with some nice theming.
P1010722.png

P1010733.png

Some of the flat rides which I didn’t ride. I’d love to try these but my stomach doesn’t agree with them. The Chaos Streetfigher.
P1010692.png

Power Surge.
P1010770.png

The Runaway Train coaster.
P1010717.png

I got 9 circuits on this which was way too much for my knees to take.
P1010782.png

Air time hills.
P1010780.png

The Bright Spot Amusement arcade in New Brighton close to Liverpool
P1010808.png

Home to Wallis’s Family Fun Fair.
P1010822.png

P1010840.png

The Miami Trip.
P1010829.png

The Funhouse/Castle attraction.
P1010854.png

Its a very small kiddie park featuring 2 coasters, a Go-Gator and Wacky Worm coaster.
P1010849.png

The Funny Ride. It guessed it was kids only and I wasn’t going to risk asking if I could get have a go.
P1010861.png

The oddly named ‘Wallis's Wonderful Wriggling Wirral Wacky Worm’. The usual standard job and at 3 tokens it was worth a go.
P1010825.png

P1010830.png

After New Brighton it was a short train journey up to Southport to try and catch the Indy Coaster at New Pleasureland Southport.
P1010869.png

I’d love to know if they actually have the copyrights to use the theming.
P1010884-1.png

Thank god it was open as I didn’t fancy having to make the trip back again.
P1010886-1.png

They have also added a Go-Gator to the line up since I was last here.
P1010879.png

Just a quick view of the rear of the park, before heading off the catch the train. This is where the fire had recently taken place.
P1010891.png

Lofty

CF Legend
Southport has become so much of a **** hole it really has!

I love New Brighton, was the crabbing lakes busy when you went?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Why didn't you take in the cultural delights of Wrexham while you were in the area?

I remember seeing that Zamperla Dragon from the train a few months back, too. I only caught sight of it very quickly and just assumed it must have been at Tir Prince. I had no idea there was another park there.