What's new

North Korea gets a roller coaster

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
...unfortunately, it will suck.

http://rcdb.com/9205.htm

According to rcdb, Kaeson Youth Park is getting a Zamperla Volare. Although I'm not sure it's a complete listing, according to rcdb, they haven't gotten a coaster since 1984.

I guess any coaster would be good for them, but I can't think about much worse of a design than a Volare.

Snoo

The Legend
I wasn't aware that they were allowed to have any sort of fun in North Korea. Well.. it looks like that trend will continue.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I highly doubt that the millions of people going hungry and living in the most cut off country in the world, under the leadership of an insane despot, will really be concerning themselves with "OMFG, not a VOLARE!!!!!"

A

Anonymous

They will not only get a Volare, they have ordered 5 other Zamperla rides to the park. No ideas what the other rides may be, but there might be some other coasters a part from the Volare.
Zamperla is also looking into supplying more rides to another park in NK.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
You can go, but only as part of an organised trip, where you are constantly accompanied by a government-appointed guide and can only see what they want you to see. It's also very expensive, with the money going directly to the North Korean government.

I have no idea how a park visit would work, as the organised tourist trips to the city don't gererally allow for you to be in places where you can come into contact with "normal," unprepared North Koreans. It would take a lot of planning with an approved travel agency (mostly Chinese) and would take a **** load of cash.

tks

Strata Poster
My Cello teacher went to North Korea, from what I can remember she had to bribe local officials with cartons of cigarettes and lay flowers at statues of Kim-Il-Sung every day. ****ing weird country! You can only photograph what they allow you to, leaving your hotel room after an alloted time makes people nervous and you get followed everywhere you go.

I find it an absolute farce in a country where the vast majority live in abject poverty and a are subject to one of the worst regimes in world that they can even muster up the electricity to run a theme park.

I'd still love to go there, but getting a Visa is SUCH A bitch. Don't expect to be let in if you or anyone in your family has any connects to journalism or has visited the USA recently..

IHeartArrow

Mega Poster
tks said:
Don't expect to be let in if you or anyone in your family has any connects to journalism or has visited the USA recently..
What if you LIVE in America :p

Seriously, however, as screwed up as North Korea is... how are they concerned with something fun. Well maybe this is their plot. Maybe this Volare is going to be used to torture tourists and punish those who commit crimes? Ah I'm funny.

Jake

Strata Poster
^ Because thankfully, not all Americans on this board are closed minded enough to never leave the place.

It's kind of related, and more interesting than talking just about a ****ing Volare anyway.

tks

Strata Poster
Oh, been reading about and since January this year American Citizens are now allowed into the country! I bet you yanks can't wait to get there! Journalists/suspected journalists still need special permission and can't travel on a tourist Visa.

And i'm not making guesses on living conditions, i've read quite a bit about North Korea and have heard a first hand account from someone who I respect and have known for 10 years now.

Volare = Crap. What more is there to do than discuss where it's going to be based, which according to Google Earth is quite near their pride and joy national stadium where the Arirang Festival takes place. I wonder if tourists can ask to visit this park..

Tomatron

Giga Poster
I'm pretty certain there's a couple of ACErs who are US citizens who've been to the three main North Korean parks a couple of years back.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Wasn't the Volare the real first flying coaster somewhere, but they demolished it for safety issues?

Or am I confusing this with something else?

A

Anonymous

UC said:
Tom said:
I'm pretty certain there's a couple of ACErs who are US citizens who've been to the three main North Korean parks a couple of years back.

This is true. I have the article. They had to jump through a lot of hoops to do it, but they indeed managed to do so - fully supervised, of course, and I believe they went on days when the park was closed to the public.
They even managed to change the itinerary so much so that they could return to one park due to it was closed the first day.

They have some "interesting" games at the parks, including: hand grenade throwing and "Shoot the MP"...