What's new

No Longer a Fan of the Deustche Bahn (Phantasialand + Movie Park Germany - April 2024)

James F

Hyper Poster
20240424_173906.jpg
I first visited Phantasialand 5 years ago back in 2019. I don't know how it's been 5 years since then! Honestly feels little more than a year ago since I was walking down this main street excited for my first rides on Taron. The reason for returning was kind of impromptu as I had found a really good deal with flights and hotels thanks to the loyalty program I have with booking.com (not an advertisement, but I wouldn't turn down a sponsorship)

While the weather was pretty naff for the most part and I had faced plenty of delays due to both Ryan-scare and the moribund scheduling of the Deustche Bahn, I was happy to get back to one of the best parks in Europe.

As I had been here before I decided to just stick to a day trip this time around as I didn't feel the need to re-ride everything.

20240424_095323.jpg
Indubitably the main reason that brought me back was to finally experience FLY.

While I have always enjoyed flying coasters (okay - the two B&M ones I have actually ridden) I have never been enamoured with them. I don't know if it's because they became a fairly novel concept in the amusement industry or if it's just the feeling of riding in the prone position becomes more unconfutable as you get older.

What drew my interest was that FLY appears to have a different design language to it predecessors, not only with it's track and trains, but more so they way it focuses on the feeling of actually flying by using the terrain and buildings to create scope and awe, rather than just fecklessly putting you through inversions (looking at you pretzel roll)

20240424_125122.jpg

#226 - FLY

For my first ride I has assigned to row 4. As with most first rides on highly lauded coasters, I came off a little underwhelmed, but as I was in a middle seat and it was a morning ride, I knew I had to give it chance to warm up later in the day.

My initial impressions were that the 75 degree pitch riding position was more comfortable than facing straight down like on a B&M. I had heard that the launches were sluggish, but in my experience they were more punchy than I was expecting. The biggest surprise for me was
the dark ride section. I had no idea going in and while it's only moving passed a screen for a couple of seconds I felt that it did add to the experience quite significantly.

Overall I was impressed, but not blown away.

While I understand that FLY needs a strict no loose articles policy, I do wonder if there is a more efficient way of enforcing it rather than using a full body scanner. It did seem to be holding up the queue by some margin, to such an extent that the station was almost empty despite the amount of people flooding the locker room.

20240424_104412.jpg

Last time I visited this park, the indoor family coaster 'Crazy Bats' was closed due to it going under it's VR makeover, So I took the opportunity to get the credit here and now.

#227 Crazy Bats

Considering all the negative things I had heard, I found myself enjoying this little Vekoma. Although given the fact it's over 3000ft in length it's actually not that little. I decided to opt out of the VR headset as I prefer to avoid it where I can. It can make me feel a bit nauseas if it's not synced up.

For what it is, it's a decent and smooth family coaster, while it's admittedly not the most exciting ride I appreciated the chillness. Maybe Chill Bats is a more appropriate name?

20240424_111330.jpg

Sometimes when you return to a coaster you once rated so highly, you worry that that it will no longer live up to it's past glories. I think it's the reason why many of us have become so jaded at times, as if everything we experience needs to be better than the last thing we experienced.

I am glad to report that those fears were unfounded with my re-rides on Taron. It's still as awe-inspiring and breath-taking as it was 5 years ago. In fact I may even prefer it slightly more now.

20240424_111229.jpg
20240424_111247.jpg

Taron's single rider line is a god-send. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes which meant I got plenty of re-rides. Intamin just make them different, On paper a coaster which is mostly just twisting left to right doesn't seem that exciting, but somehow Taron makes it feel more dramatic and dynamic than 95% of other coaster elements.
The theming, of course is paramount to Taron's appeal. The way the train seemingly carves it's way through the rockwork and recklessly whips through medieval buildings makes it feel like an immersive video game come to life.

It's a perfectly balanced ride in my opinion, between the sense of speed, airtime moments and aggressive whip. While it might not have some of the big "wow" elements of coasters that I have personally ranked ahead of it, Taron firmly remains in my top 10 for now and the whole trip was worth it just to experience this beauty once more.

20240424_120754.jpg
While it was on a 5 minute wait, I gave Colorado Adventure another go. I don't have an awful lot to say about it other than it's one of the most deceptively thrilling coasters out there and is certainly once of the best mine train coasters.

20240424_120914.jpg
20240424_151909.jpg

Another walk on was Black Mamba. Having experienced 8 B&M inverts now, Black Mamba still holds it's position at the number two spot, just behind the beloved Nemmy. This invert is basically takes most of Nemesis strengths and improves the theming and landscaping. The only reason Nemesis is one spot higher for me is that it is slightly more intense. I feel that Mamba is kind of overlooked in the wake of Taron and FLY, but in all honesty Mamba really completes the set for me for Phantasialand having 3 outstanding roller coasters to headline the park.

20240424_142558.jpg
20240424_142851.jpg

Later on, I returned to Rookburgh to get a couple of more rides on FLY. As I didn't get the opportunity before, I took some more time waking though the queue to take in some of the details. Nerdy of me; I know.

My second ride on Fly was towards the back and I have to say it felt a lot more intense. I had been told that the back pulls more positive G's and I from what I felt I can certainly attest to that. I don't usually grey out on rides, but I was starting to feel it during some of the valleys.

With that being said, FLY didn't feel like it was trying to kill you. It was the right amount of intensity.

20240424_153207.jpg
Chiapas had been closed for most of the day, but it did open around half past two. Outside of Splash Mountain, Chaipas is my favourite flume. From it's impressive and at times irreverent theming as well as it's upbeat atmosphere, Chiapas is simply a good time.

Unless ...

Unless, you are wearing Skechers which soak up all the water into your socks. I never remember getting soaked back in 2019, but I came off dripping this time, which wasn't great as it just starting raining and I had no change of clothes with me. After using the 3 euro stand-in dryer I had to try and drain all the water from my socks and shoes, thankfully this was towards the end of the day, but still; smelly shoes aren't fun, Life lesson, don't wear Skechers on water rides.

20240424_170333.jpg

The final couple of hours was dedicated to re-rides on Taron and FLY. Thanks to the single rider queue I managed to get 7 rides on Taron, they just automatically assigned me to the back most times, so it was pretty much a walk on and I got the back so I certainly wasn't complaining.

20240424_174510.jpg
20240424_181054.jpg
20240424_181208.jpg

After experiencing three final rides on FLY to round up my day (with two being at the front) I was able to conclude my thoughts which were that FLY delivered on what I expected, but it's ultimately dependent on where you are sat. The front is the best for airtime (not a lot, but there are 2 good moments) and the back is intense in terms of positive G's. The middle is still fun, but nothing world class, the front or back is definitely where it's at and It's undoubtedly going to get extra brownie points form me for being one of the best themed coasters in the world.

That's as interesting as it's going to get in this TR, but I have also experienced a new-to-me park in Movie Park Germany, so I'll keep this updated if anyone is at all interested in my insignificant jottings.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

selecoasty

Roller Poster
Wow! You had an amazing trip back to Phantasialand! Thanks for all the detail on revisiting some old favorites like Taron and Black Mamba. Doesn't seem like they've lost their charm at all over the years. FLY definitely looks incredible - love how it focuses on using the theming and terrain for airtime instead of overdoing inversions.

Ollie

CF Legend
Thanks for the write up. I've not been to Phantasialand since 2008 (really need to change that) but it looks like you managed to get a lot of rerides in. How busy was the park in general? What was the queue time for Taron if you weren't using single rider?
Black Mamba is still one of my favourite coasters and I think I prefer it to Nemesis. The interaction with the surrounding area and the station dispatch sequence just pip it for me.

James F

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the write up. I've not been to Phantasialand since 2008 (really need to change that) but it looks like you managed to get a lot of rerides in. How busy was the park in general? What was the queue time for Taron if you weren't using single rider?
Black Mamba is still one of my favourite coasters and I think I prefer it to Nemesis. The interaction with the surrounding area and the station dispatch sequence just pip it for me.
The park was fairly quiet overall with it being mid-week, but not dead. Taron and Fly had 20-25 minute waits by midday, however every other ride was basically a walk on.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I do love Chiapas, but honestly the boats filling up with water can sometimes ruin it. The last few times I’ve gone on, I’ve snuck my shoes/socks off into my bag when I got onboard.

James F

Hyper Poster
20240425_100914.jpg

Since my flight back to Manchester wasn't until 17:40 I decided that I should attempt to squeeze in Movie Park Germany before my return trip. Considering that this park is 57 miles away I thought that the transport links to get here were decent, as if you went from Cologne you would only need to take 2 trains and switch at Essen, so with that I mind I went for it.

I can't say it was the smoothest journey here though. Each of the 3 trains from Brühl to Feldhausen were delayed by about 10-15 minutes, but somehow I made my connecting train, because guess what? that train was also delayed.

Movie Park was a little busier than I expected it to be, with it being a cold and damp Thursday. I came to the decision that I would opt for the "Bronze Speedy Pass" which let me virtually queue for each ride. I don't usually get fast pass, but considering I only had a few hours it seemed like a valid reason and considering it cost about 14 euros, it was a worthwhile deal in my opinion.

To get back to the airport in good time I need to get the 13:30 return train back. So with 8 new credits to get in 3 hours, today was going to be a full on speed run.

20240425_123511.jpg
First Impressions were good as the main street had plenty of vibrancy and colour; essentially a modest version of Universal Studios.

20240425_101328.jpg

The first stop of the day was Van Helsing's Factory. As the queue was only 10 minutes, I decided to hop on and book a speedy pass for Star Trek in the meantime.

#228 Van Helsing's Factory

As soon as you enter the building you are met with complete darkness. I found it a slightly difficult to find my footing as I resorted to using the light from my phone. To my shock there was already a full cattlepen of people waiting. It was doubtful that this queue was moving anywhere fast due to the ride's meek capacity, however the operations were surprisingly quick and within 10 minutes I was on. I recall the queue having a sort-of moving pre-show with the vampire hunter himself, but thankfully not the Hugh Jackman version.

I had heard good things going in and I was not disappointed. When you consider this coaster only reaches a max height of 26ft and a top speed of 22mph; it's genuinely intense. Out of all the steel wild mice I have been on, this felt like it had the strongest laterals. (The defunct Wild Mouse at Blackpool had it beaten, but I always hated it)

I'd go as far as to say that it's the most thrilling ride here.

20240425_110033.jpg
20240425_123706.jpg

#229 Star Trek: Operation Enterprise

Once I got off Van Helsing it was time to use my speedy pass on Star Trek, which by this point had attracted a 30 minute wait.
While there are often criticised for their weak launches, Mack coasters often have a great variety of elements which is what I look for in a ride. My favourite coaster for many years was Helix and I have a lot of fondness for Icon and Blue Fire.

Truly I have never been into Star Trek, I mean I enjoyed the more recent films and some of the TV shows, I have never been "into" it as a franchise; my dad on the other hand is a proper Trekkie. I can't explain how many times Star Trek Enterprise was on repeat in our house growing up. I couldn't help but here this
as I approached the ride. I realise that is actually themed to The Next Generation, but we all know which is the better theme.

Alright so the coaster? it was good, as expected. I managed to snag a back row ride and it delivered exactly how I expected it to, there is some good airtime on the top hat and double down, the barrel roll and corkscrew have a balanced amount of hangtime which is always appreciated by me, The highlight for me was actually the spike as you get some decent laterals and floater airtime at the back.

Out and out a solid coaster which was worth traveling for, but due to it's short length it's sits at the bottom of the 4 Mack Launch coasters I have experienced.

20240425_103424.jpg

#230 - Iron Claw

Every time I ride one of these SLC's I have less to say about them. I will concede that I don't hate them. This is your standard SLC, as expected it felt exactly the same as Vampire at Walibi Belgium and Infusion at Pleasure Beach.

20240425_111032.jpg

#231 - The Backyardigans: Mission to Mars

It's a +1, moving on ...

20240425_111704.jpg

#232 - Ghost Chasers

It's a +1, moving on ...

20240425_114404.jpg

#233 - Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Flyer

It's a +1, moving on ...

movie park germany.jpg

#234 - Movie Park: Studio Tour

While it's not going to give Revenge of The Mummy a run for it's money, The Studio Tour was a delight. The indoor queue was detailed with movie themed props and models of the park's existing rides. The coaster itself felt like a goodie bag of all the modern day gimmicks you find on family coasters. Being Intamin the launches were actually quite snappy and the whole coaster section went on for longer than I was anticipating. Came off this one with a grin.

20240425_115305.jpg

I headed back to the western area as Bandit had apparently opened, but when I got there it was still closed. I can't say that the possibility of getting spited by one of the enthusiasts most hated coasters was heart-breaking for me though. Instead I decided to give The High Fall a cheeky go as it was a walk on. Despite the discomfort downstairs, this drop tower might be the best ride in the park. It's definitely one of the more intense Intamin drop towers out there, you really get yanked down. Certainly worth doing if you're here.

20240425_120141.jpg
20240425_121150.jpg

#235 The Bandit

So just before I was about to call it a day and leave early, The bandit beaconed. Turns out I am not getting away that easy, yes I know I could of just not ridden it, but most of you reading will know the feeling of completing a park and I needed to do this, even if it was just out of pure curiosity.

Somehow this is the most popular ride in the park. I swear as soon as it opened everyone ran for it; another one for the speedy pass.

After waiting in a completely chaotic station which was filled to the brim of people pushing and shoving, I sat in the front seat of the second car and it was finally my time to experience this infamous wooden demon.

The Verdict?

Not the worse coaster I've ridden, but it's comically bad. It's almost so bad it's good. Not sure why it's the most popular ride at Movie Park Germany, other than it's entertainingly bad.

The valleys judder you like crazy, it's like driving over a cobbled street at 50mph, but it actually not painful, but it's certainly uncomfortable and awkward.

The most impressive thing about it is the fast chain lift.

20240425_123602.jpg

Movie Park was fun, but not somewhere I would be in a rush to get back to unless they did the rightful thing by RMC'ing Bandit or at least give it a GCI/GG makeover, however considering the ride's popularity I sadly don't see that happening. As everyone else here as already said, Movie Park just needs that true stand out/elite coaster that makes you want to come back time and time again, but enthusiasts needs are not usually the parks needs (for good reasons - probably)

The back end of this week has been quite hectic for me so apologies for the lack of general quality in this report.

Thanks for reading.