What's new

New restraints for Skyrush, Storm Runner & Fahrenheit

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Re: New restraints for Skyrush and Storm Runner (page 2)

So glad they've changed the restraints on Storm Runner as the previous incarnation ruined the ride for me. I'd go so far as to say they were one of my least favourite restraints on a ride ever. Up there with iSpeed

Ben

CF Legend

^Well they're the same restraints, so not so much 'up there' as 'the same'.

I never actually had a problem with these restraints, I must have the right build for them. They didn't ruin SR or iSpeed for them, but, this change is still really welcomed.

andrus

Giga Poster

Mysterious Sue said:
So glad they've changed the restraints on Storm Runner as the previous incarnation ruined the ride for me. I'd go so far as to say they were one of my least favourite restraints on a ride ever. Up there with iSpeed
Ben said:
^Well they're the same restraints, so not so much 'up there' as 'the same'.

I never actually had a problem with these restraints, I must have the right build for them. They didn't ruin SR or iSpeed for them, but, this change is still really welcomed.
The restraints of iSpeed are more spacious and can accommodate taller riders, trust me! I had plenty of room while riding iSpeed and found it to be a very comfortable experience, while the restraints of Storm Runner where tight as ****, and hence SR was a horrible experience for me..

davidm

Strata Poster

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Hersheypark/status/731477421526945792[/tweet]

Snoo

The Legend

Given the headbanging you can get on both coasters and given my experience with coasters with those restraints, it's a welcome change without a doubt.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Thank god. I'm supposed to like Storm Runner, but found it to be rough, short, and just plain unenjoyable. Hopefully these can make the rides at least ridable.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Great news! SR was already one of my fave coasters and the restraints were one of my only gripes. FAB!

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
Re: New [coloured] restraints for Skyrush?

ECG said:
Storm Runner has always had raised back row seats, but nice to hear that they've updated the restraints. We don't really need a separate topic for that as it can be discussed here along with Skyrush's.

Are you sure? I've never noticed it, and I ran the ride when I worked at Hersheypark for 3 seasons. I knew Fahrenheit had it, but Storm Runner too? I even looked at old YouTube videos, and it doesn't seem raised.

Maybe I'm just getting too old and I'm already losing my memory - I don't know.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I'm sure. I even commented on it to my wife and son the first time we rode it together the day after Fahrenheit opened. I told them to ride in the front and I would ride behind then because the seats were raised so I could easily see over them.

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
ECG said:
Yes, I'm sure. I even commented on it to my wife and son the first time we rode it together the day after Fahrenheit opened. I told them to ride in the front and I would ride behind then because the seats were raised so I could easily see over them.

I've worked there from 2010 to 2012 - I've been a season pass holder ever since. I've never noticed that.

Not saying you're wrong - just surprised how oblivious I was until they got new restraints.

Interesting - I wonder what other details I've missed throughout my life.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Not knowing home to link to photos anymore on RCDB - http://rcdb.com/2498.htm - the 4th photo in the slider is dated 2004, and clearly shows the stadium seating. (For what its worth, all the Intamins from 99 onward have this, Superman...Millennium Force)

BigBad

Mega Poster
I rode Skyrush last week. After riding for the first time last July and not seeing anything wrong with the restraints, my recent rides were fairly painful. They might be new, but not for the better.

Serious question: why can't the harnesses be covered in Nerf-like material to cushion the thigh crush? What does Mack do for their overhead lap harnesses that makes them so much more liked? I really like the idea of going floorless without OTSRs the way that the Skyrush or Mack restraints allow.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Hypothesis time: Skyrush's restraints are angled in a way where a very small part of the restraint is touching your leg, where as on Mack ots-lb restraints, there's more surface area in contact with your legs, which distribute the force better than Skyrush does. But when -2G's is applied like that, I don't think any lap bar would be pain-free.

BigBad

Mega Poster
El Toro, I've heard, hits -1.7, and while it's tight, I have ridden the coaster many times and don't remember any pain.

Double the Skyrush contact area and use material with twice as much give (such as NERF). That should reduce the pressure to a quarter of what it is now.

(There's twice as much area and half the force, and pressure=F/A.)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^ The RT hill is slightly uncomfortable, the other's are fine. But then I have no issues with Skyrush's restraints and anyone who does is a baby ;)

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
CanobieFan said:
Not knowing home to link to photos anymore on RCDB - http://rcdb.com/2498.htm - the 4th photo in the slider is dated 2004, and clearly shows the stadium seating. (For what its worth, all the Intamins from 99 onward have this, Superman...Millennium Force)

Well everything I know is now a lie. ;_;