What's new

New play area for Adventure Island, Southend

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Perhaps it's not worth getting too excited about but the article does mention "rides"....for kids.

ADVENTURE Island hopes to build a new indoor play area for children of all ages.

2889674.jpg

Owners of the Southend amusement park have released plans for a “giant play centre” on the site of the Golden Hind, next to the pier train entrance in Western Esplanade.

The building, designed for toddlers and older children, would have rides, a parents’ enclosure and food outlets.

Full details and pictures in tomorrow's Echo
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1103514 ... mmentsList

Perhaps more interesting is when I did a quick search for planning permission, I noticed they applied for a 60mtr Starflyer in 2013 but withdrew it: http://planning.southend.gov.uk/PublicA ... &module=P3

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ooh a Starflyer would've been interesting, wonder if the withdrawal had anything to do with the weather?

Anyway, this looks good. I'm a big fan of AI and I always think everything they do looks very professional and clean cut. It'll be fab no doubt and provide more inside play stuff for when the weather is being poo.

marc

CF Legend
The story that went round was he wanted two rides, and they would not approve both so he pulled the Star Flyer as well.

I expect we will see one in a few years.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ That's irritating. After the regeneration of Southend's seafront - mostly thanks to Phillip Miller - the council should bend over backwards for him. If it wasn't for Adventure Island and the Fishlife, there would only be a pier, a load of crappy arcades and a beach.

marc

CF Legend
Yeah you would think, or maybe they think he has too much power along with the sea front shops and restaurants.

marc

CF Legend
Glad they included the sea life centre on there :). Looking forward to see what they do with that.

I imagine the play place will include the normal slides and ball pit stuff.