What's new

Nemesis - New look

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
On the subject of the track being part of the creature:

The track IS part of the creature, and you can tell that by looking at the colouring of the track as it hits the storage transfer section:

Nemesis-Aerial.jpg

If you look on the right hand side of the picture, you can see the themed 'Spine' of Nemesis comes up and away from the brake run track. The colour of the track underneath that section is also painted a much darker colour. I suppose to represent not being the tentacles anymore?

The storyline has always been a bit hazy when it comes to the track though, and much more hazy to what the trains are (why are there people riding a metal train around the tentacles of a pinned down monster?!), but..

Martyn B

CF Legend
^^ I can't say for sure that it is definitely happening right now, but I certainly remember reading that it was getting a repaint this winter. And I defo remember seeing pics of fresh paint before the season ended.

Smithy

Strata Poster
All I have to add on this debate is that I **** love that there's such a story around a roller coaster the likes of which you never see today.

Oh, and is the ride being repainted totally, or is the red shown in those pictures going to be placed sporadically around the track so it's still mostly white/grey with red markings?

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
Perhaps Mr Wardley could clear this up? After all, it was his design! :--D

In his book "Creating My Own Nemesis", he writes:

"I came up with the idea that while excavating the site for something else we had supposedly disturbed a hideous monster that had been buried underground for millions of years. Its tentacles were writhing around in a snakelike manner (i.e the rollercoaster's undulating track) and in order to control it, we had pinned it down with a steel structure (i.e. the supporting structure for the rollercoaster track)."

Great book if you haven't read it already, with so much wonderful background insight into the rides John designed.

I remember the extended video from Nemesis' first year - as the monster rose from the ground, it grew tentacles (that looked remarkably like B&M coaster track) that reached out and grabbed the Druid-like characters that were chanting to bring the monster back to life. The tentacles then started to thrash about, whirling the Druid-characters in the air as the film then segued to the train zooming around the track with the same Druidic faces riding the coaster.

On the picture of the ride, talking about the track leading out to the brake run, you can clearly see that the spine of the monster turns into an organic version of the track, and you can also see similar organic track-tentacle sections growing out of the monster's legs.

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
Crazycoaster said:
On the subject of the track being part of the creature:

The storyline has always been a bit hazy when it comes to the track though, and much more hazy to what the trains are (why are there people riding a metal train around the tentacles of a pinned down monster?!), but..

Never been hazy for those of us who followed the development of the ride back in the day :wink: On the coaster club trip to AT back in 1994, John Wardley joined us for lunch and gave us a talk, answered questions and chatted afterwards. Awesome dude!

The storyline ran that the original members of the cult to actually summon the monster were picked up and whirled by the loose tentacles. Once the monster has been brought under control, people came to view the monster, pay homage and be whirled around, but a little more safely. So - when you ride Nemesis, you are making the pilgrimage that all those early-day Druid-like characters were making, to see the monster and submit to its fury at being caged.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn B said:
I wonder if the trains and/or the station will be receiving a new look too?

That station is currently not shipping container enough for Merlin, so probably ;)