What's new

Need New Camera

Pierre

Strata Poster
Ollie, I hope your new camera has the flower setting... AKA Macro.

Seriously though if you want a point and shoot camera and aren't very serious about photography... get the Nokia N8 and you can enjoy the phone too. I actually love the camera on this phone.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yeah it does.
Slowly getting used to it. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot through the menus quickly by the time I go to America to get to the setting I want.
I'm keep using the panorama mode loads as well because it's new to me. Got to try not to overuse it.

Thanks for the link to the memory card Ian. Ordered myself one so hopefully it'll keep me going for the 2 weeks.

Ollie

CF Legend
The card Ian recommended arrived today. It says I can take nearly 9000 photos which is amazing. Although when I put the video onto HD mode it says I can only reccord 9 minutes of HD footage. And that takes it off my photo memory as well. I've ordered a second one anyway just in case. And will just have to film on a lower setting (I get over an hour then if I do).

Martyn

Giga Poster
^That sounds a bit wrong to me... I have an 8GB card in my Ixus and it claims it'll get 2471 pictures or 43 minutes of HD video on it. Admittedly, it's 720p video, but it looks like your Fuji's max resolution is 720p too.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yeah mine does 720p as well. Not sure why it's doing that then. Would be nice if I could film for longer than 9 minutes in HD lol.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Very odd. My Canon Power Shot SX210 IS shoots 720p and says I can film 52mins worth. And yes, I'm using that card.

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm not sure why then. If any of you work it out then let me know as obviously it'll help massively and mean I'll be able to film in the states. :)

A

Anonymous

Ollie said:
I'm not sure why then. If any of you work it out then let me know as obviously it'll help massively and mean I'll be able to film in the states. :)
After reading the spec then I have wound one thing that could be the reason why it is what it is...

It could either be that:
* There is a time limit so that the file-size don't get to large due to it filming in mjpg (I remember having a similar limit to an old camera of my own.
* Since the camera uses mjpg as it filming format then the file get's extremely large (like the filming in NL) which means that there is only space for 9 minutes of 720p film on it...

Have you tried to film for 9 minutes and see if the counter resets/see if there is some space left on the card.

After some more digging then I think it's the first one, since on page 91 in the manual it states:
Individual movies can not exceed 2 GB in size or 29 minutes in length. If more than 2 GB are available , the camera will show the time remaining for a movie 2 GB in size
Meaning that the mjpg file format have a 2 gb file limit that limits the movies to 9 minutes in length in 720p. If you have a 16 GB memory card then you should be able to film (16 GB/2GB)*9minutes until it's filled, meaning that you can film a total of ~72 minutes until the card is full...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ That has to be the most helpful post that I've ever seen on CF.

Ollie

CF Legend
Thank you. You've all been a massive help. Will try recording several 9 min videos and see what happens.

A

Anonymous

Re: Compact camera suggestions

I'm going to hijack this topic for a quick question...

I'm looking to retire my trusty old Panasonic TZ3 before the big trip to southern Europe this August. And I'm thinking about getting a more compact camera but with great image quality (at least better than my old one, which shouldn't be too hard). Ideally I would be looking at a Panasonic LX5 or Canon S95, but they are a bit pricey for the budget I have to work with (the LX5 is a bit on the large side as well)...
So I'm looking for suggestions to help me narrow down what to get...

Important things:
Wide angle lens, at least 28 mm but preferably even wider.
Manual settings.
Low noise up to at least (400-)800 iso.
General Image Quality.
SD card compatible.
Compact, less then 1" thick.
Maximum budget £250-300.

Things that are not that important:
Video (even though every camera have it...).
"10000000"x zoom (which seems to be the big hotness at the moment) is completely unnecessary since I usually go for landscape images wide angle is more important to me (5-8x is good enough).

Any help is appreciated since compact camera market is a big jungle to me. If I had the possibility to go for something better then it would have been a no brainer...

Martyn

Giga Poster
^As far as I'm aware, a "wide zoom" lens (the odd name for something like 28-210mm, 5x) camera is quite hard to make compact because of the lens construction.

Not sure though, compact technology has moved on quite a lot since I last took any notice.

Hmm in fact, I've just had a quick look around, this looks pretty mega:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... _ixus220hs

Though being an Ixus, you won't get many manual settings (depends what you want). I have an Ixus and it's got Auto and P, and P basically allows you to set the ISO and a few flash settings and some other unimportant junk.

I've got a friend with an LX5, and it's pretty amazing. He's a motorsport snapper and he's often using it instead of his SLRs! But yeah, it's slightly chunky.

A

Anonymous

Have Canon changed their naming of their cameras??
Last I knew about it then the Powershot range were for the more advance ones (with manual controls) now it seems like they are some cheap crap... Same thing with Ixus, simple and cheap before and now the more high end ones?? Makes no sense...

That Canon will be treated as a "back up" choice, since I would like some more "manual" control, at least Shutter Priority (especially for shooting fast moving coasters) which is kind of a bitch to do without (unless you like blurry images :) ). But the size is all right and the IQ seems pretty good.

One camera that I have come across while browsing for a new camera is the Samsung TL350 (WB2000) where the reviews make it look promising and that it have full PASM options. There is two things about it that is a bit annoying, no orientation sensor (according to dpreview) which is really weak and the fact that it doesn't come with an external charger is also pretty bad. The problem with this camera is that I have no idea on how good Samsung is to make cameras though, I know that they have been pretty useless in the past though...

Any idea on it?

Oh yeah, getting the LX5 would be my ultimate dream come true in terms of camera, but that isn't happening at the moment :(

Martyn

Giga Poster
I'm a snob, but if I was buying a camera, I'd buy one from a camera manufacturer. Samsung isn't a camera manufacturer in my eyes!

It took me long enough to get on board with the whole Panasonic thing, but if Leica can, I guess I can... Leica lenses are the daddies.

I don't think Canon have really changed their brands too much. Powershot was pretty much every compact they had, and Ixus was their kinda "stylish", incredibly compact, metal range. Though saying that, some Ixuses were also Powershots depending where you lived!

There is some sub-branding on the Powershots, I think "S" cameras are aimed at being a bit more professional. As are "SX", a bit moreso perhaps. Then the "A" range is more point-and-press.

Then there's "G", of which there's only ever one current model, which is just ace, but expensive.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... on_sx230hs

Cheapest in the UK at the moment is £225.

A

Anonymous

^ OK that makes a bit more sense about the Canon cameras, makes know which to look for.

A part from it being on the big side, it seems really good, apart from the MASSIVELY ANNOYING pop up flash, and if I were to go for a camera in that class then I would without a doubt choose the Panasonic TZ20.

But we will see, I will be going by MediaMarkt soon so I'll be able to fondle several of the cameras before I make my choice...

Martyn

Giga Poster
Yeah, I don't mind the pop-up flash to be honest, but I guess it's something else to go wrong.

I think it's necessary because of how much the lens comes out, if it was built in to the main body, you could potentially get a shadow shooting at wide angle.

TZ20 reviews aren't great on image quality...

Compact cameras are a bloody nightmare!