What's new

Need New Camera

Ollie

CF Legend
So my last camera broke a month ago when I went to the beach and my mums partner stupidly got sand inside where the lens twists out and now my camera is broken and wont turn on as it's stuck.

I REALLY need a new camera for America. So I'll list what I'm looking for in the camera I need and hopefully you can help.

- Takes good photos in dark environments (i.e. inside dark rides)
- Cost no more than around £80
- Colours come out really well in pictures
- Records video (also needs to work well in darker environments)
- Have settings such as flower (for close ups) and ones that take photos of fireworks and stuff
- Must work with my current 2GB SD Cards and my Duracell Ultra AA batteries.
- Be able to crop photos when going through the photos you've taken on the camera (on my last one you just pressed zoom and the arrows to move around and ok to crop).

I think that's it atm. My last Camera was a Samsung S760 (photo below) and I'm looking for something similar as I just want a small pocket camera for the holiday.
If I can't find much then I'll just look at getting the same one again although it does some annoying things such as cutting the sound as you zoom when doing videos. And the batteries don't last more than a day.

Thanks if you can help. :)

samsung-s860.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd recommend the Panasonic TZ10, but it's a bit out of your price range. It is an extremely awesome compact though. Truly great.

My only word of advice is to not bother with the cropping feature. Even if you camera has it, there's no point using it. You're much better off just waiting and cropping them on the computer when you get home, you'll have more control and you'll be able to see what you're doing much more easily.

As for advice for buying cameras, your best bet is Google. I don't want to sound like an arse, but often you can get some great reviews and stuff, far better than we'd be able to give you. There are tonnes of websites that offer comprehensive reviews of all sort of ranges of cameras. Find a few you like the look of (go into shops, browse Amazon, anything) and then use Google to find more information. That's about the best help I can give you. I've been looking at a cheap compact that I can take biking and smash around without much worry about the cost and there are some really nice compact for around £50, but I don't know how well they handle the video. Not that I really care either, I don't use video on photo cameras. :)

Hope that's not completely useless.

Ollie

CF Legend
I always forget to crop them when I get back though haha. On Play my last camera is £70 but may look on ebay or something to see if I can get it cheaper. I'm just asking to see if there was one slightly better out there as I like taking pictures in dark places like scare attractions and dark rides and when I did it on my old camera more of my photos came out clearer and lighter than my brothers one which were just black.

Or if anyone knows how to fix my camera then that'll be cool as well. Right now when I turn it on the lens twists out like 1mm and then beeps loudly 3 times before switching off again. I've tried cleaning in the gaps between where the lens twists out but it still won't work.
If you manage to grip and hold the lens before it turns off and then slowly pull it out over about 5 mins of turning the power on then it comes out and works properly but I don't want to keep forcing it and obviously cant use a camera like that on holiday.

Thanks for your help though Hixee. I looked up the Panasonic TZ10 and would get it but don't have the £180 it costs (over £200 if you get the touch screen one lol).

Don't get a camera that uses batteries, they run out in like three seconds! At least, mine did. Don't buy a camera that has all these built-in features that you can just do when you get home on an editing program, because it's a bit pointless and will only run the cost up. My current camera is great but it was $300, but my last two were fairly cheap so I will have to dig out the boxes to see what kind they were.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
If you want a camera that you can use in low light, you'll need to look at some reviews with sample photos and see what the high ISO performance is like.

Don't expect great things from a compact (or bridge) camera in low light, though (unless you're using a flash). The image sensors are just too small to cope with low levels or light without introducing a lot of noise into your images.

Ollie

CF Legend
Are either of these cameras good?
Saw them in ASDA and Sainsburys and I don't mind paying it if they're decent.

Fujifilm FinePix AV250
417kf48ek4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Two links here. Are they the same camera?
LINK 1
LINK 2

FUJIFILM Finepix S1700
514uQHZmNPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

£99 in ASDA.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Of course they're not that same! The one on Amazon is the AV250 and the one on Sainsbury's is the AV215. Even if you read through the specs of each one you realise they're not the same! :roll:

I'd go for the compact. I don't really see the point in the bulkier bridge style one if you want a quick point and shoot camera. That's my thought(s) anyway.

alexr

Hyper Poster
I had the F200 EXR and it was very good, you could take very clear photos and video is not bad on it. A bridge camera is quite good, A friend bought one recently from Asda and said it's pretty good only main differences is the zoom. Personaly I think it's worth it playing an extra £50 for a fuji camera as they are quite good.

Ollie

CF Legend
I think I'm slowly coming to a decision.
The more I look at this one the more I like it. It say's it's HD and Although I have a couple of questions.
http://fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digital/ ... 0/Features

1. How do you change between all those settings it says it has. Because it doesn't have one of those wheels like most other cameras do.

2. Will my old SD cards work with it? I have two 2GB cards and a 1GB one. And they're all shaped like this. (The 1GB is this exact one).
sandisk-1gb-sdcard.JPG

3. If they do work. Then will it take less photos/videos for the memory space if the camera is HD (which it says it is)

4. How can you tell what the max card size it takes is? I think I remember trying to use a 6GB one on my old camera and it not liking it or something.

Thanks for all your help so far. As you can tell I don't know much about cameras haha. :p

Ollie

CF Legend
Well Im now the owner of a new Fujifilm Finepix AV215. Got it for £49.99 and it comes with a years free warranty. If I'd got it online it would have cost me £75 and an extra £15 for the warranty so pretty happy with the price.
Got it in black but when I put one of my old SD cards in it a bit of the bottom snapped off inside stopping me from putting another in. So I took it back and swapped it for a new one. Sadly they only had it in silver so no more sexy black camera but oh well.

So now I've got a question about the memory cards. How do you find out what the max memory card size the camera will take? It says it takes SD and SDSC cards and I read somewhere that SD cards only go up to 2GB and anything over is SDSC. Obviously I want the largest size it can take as I put a spare 1GB SD card in it said that it could only do 4:30 of Full HD footage so may have to reduce that haha.

Thanks for all your help though. If it wasn't for you I'd probably still be clueless and looking at things way out of my price range.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I use this in my cameras: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-16GB- ... 636&sr=8-8

It's quick, reliable and stores **** loads of images and video. So far I've captured 20mins of HD footage and have TONES of space left.

The number in the C circle indicates how quickly it transfers data or something. 10 being the best. Most modern day cameras will insist on a 4 at least, so by by buying this one, you can at least "future proof" it for a while.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Xpress said:
^We need that in an emoticon. Ian? furie?
What?

Sometimes an image speaks a thousand words. And it's easier to moderate.