What's new

Need help planning trip to London

Ollie

CF Legend
Hey. Wasn't sure what section of the forum this would best fit in.
Basically me and some friends are planning to go to London sometime in the summer holidays. We're going to try and do as many attractions as we can. We've got a list down of what we want to do but I'm not sure how to plan costs or what would be the best order to do things in.

Because of the number of attractions we were thinking of doing it in two 'day trips'. One at the start of the summer holidays and one near the end.

The attractions we want to try and do are...

London Dungeons
London Bridge Experience
The Clink Prison
Madame Tussauds
Tower of London
Avenue Q

What I want to know is what would be the best order to do them in? What would be best to do on each visit? And how much it would cost/what would be the cheapest way to do it?

There's three of us going at the moment all aged 17.

Thanks if you can help, I've never planned a trip like this before. And I don't know where to find 2 for 1 deals, how to book online to save money etc.

Ollie

CF Legend
^^London Bridge Experience has been getting mixed review with some saying it's really good with some saying it's bad. I was looking at their site and it's only £13 for a student if you book online. Also if you let them chop your head of with the guillotine outside then you get free entry lol.

Thanks for the link Ian. So with that do you just select the attraction fill in your details? Then what happens after that? Do they send you a ticket or something that you show on the door of the attraction to get one person in free with a full paying person?
Also if there is three of us going can one of us get one for the Dungeons, and the other get one for the LBE so we can use it on all the attractions on the list?

Ollie

CF Legend
Yes and to be honest I have no idea how that appeared on the list. :?
Thanks for pointing that out. :p

Ben

CF Legend
Get to the Avenue Q theatre at 10am and buy day seats - £20.

Spend the day with the posters of Daniel Boys.

Go see it that night.

That's what I'd do. Posters of Daniel > Any other London attraction.

Oh, and DON'T do the Bridge Experience, listen to Erol.

Or, at most go Bridge and Experience, Clink and then Tower in one "day", they're all along the South Bank (apart from Tower, which is just over the river, via Tower Bridge, what is nice too)

Then, the other time I'd get to the Avenue Q theatre at 10am, and I ASSUME you'll want a matinee? So, get a day seat, then go to Madame Tussauds, spend the rest of the time at Covent, Leicester Square, Trafalgar (Pasaje?) and the rest, and then go to the Q.

Google the costs... cba with that...

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm not sure about the LBE now. It looks fantastic. And I've read all the reviews and they all say it's amazing apart from you and Erol.
I'm not sure what performance times I'd want for Q. Depends on when the last train back is. It'll probably have to be an earlier one though. Are they both the same apart from the time of day? Its not like Blackpool where the show is longer in the evening is it?

Dungeons and LBE will be the same day anyway because they're literally a few feet from each other. How far is the Clink from the dungeons? I remember walking round and seeing it but can't remember where it is.
My knowledge of London is still useless even though I've been there loads of times already lol. :p

Ben

CF Legend
They are both the same, it's NOT Blackpool :p

And I know Oriol(at2) will tell you the LBE sucks too ;)

The Clink museum is near London Bridge, in the "other way" to Tower Bridge. It's JUST next to Southwark Cathedral, about 500m away from LBE/Dungeons.

Ollie

CF Legend
Ok awesome. Thanks Ben.
*Goes on Google Maps*

What about trains. Would you say go to Waterloo then tube it to London Bridge Station?

P.S. I'm useless with transport as well. :p

peep

CF Legend
The Clink prison museum looked closed when I walked past the other week. Quick check on their site, looks like maintenance to the building might keep it closed for a bit. Website. Very cheap though.

Best to try and to Dungeons first as it can get some evil queues, also takes quite a long time to get round it.

If you still wanted to do it you should do the LBE next as its 2 seconds down the road. Was ok, actors are good but it isn't anything spectacular.

If it is open, the clink prison museum is about a 5-10 min walk away. As Ben says, it's near the Cathedral. There is also an amazing Nandos round the corner from it if you're interested :p

Avenue Q might be best as a separate day. As previously mentioned, get there early to buy tickets from the theatre box office, you can usually get good prices (warning, £10 seats are in the heavens, you won't see much). Then use the time between getting the tickets and the performance taking in the rest of the West End area. Maybe even pop in to the Trocodero arcades near by or use the time to get the tube and visit the Tower of London (not sure how long this would take). If you see the matinee of Avenue Q then there might be time afterwards to get the tube again to Madame Tussauds.

You may even be able to fit the Tower of London onto the day with London Bridge stuff. I'm not sure when it closes etc.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ollie said:
Thanks for the link Ian. So with that do you just select the attraction fill in your details? Then what happens after that? Do they send you a ticket or something that you show on the door of the attraction to get one person in free with a full paying person?

I have no idea as I've never used them, I just recall seeing the offers everytime I've used a train. They did have voucher booklets in Winchester Station. I'll take a trip there at lunch and if they have one, I'll grab it and post it to you. If not, just ask at a station yourself.

Ollie

CF Legend
Ok thanks Ian. :)

Also, obviously because I've got an annual pass I can get into the Dungeons for free through the fastrack entrance. Would that mean my friends would have to get fast track as well so we all queue and get in at the same time?

Steven

Giga Poster
Also DON'T do the scare attraction near London eye. Its tourist trap crap. Also too short.

However the arcade (The Namco one) with the dodgems by Macdonald's down by the eye are a win. They are the skid type (You can build up speed and swing your back out as you go round corners easily and great fun when you get hit) and only £2 a go. On not so busy days you get a decent long go on them. They don't rip you off.

jokerman

Giga Poster
^I quite enjoyed fright club (I assume that's the one you mean). It certainly isn't full of scares, but it was very fun, and extremely funny at times. The main actor in there was hilarious when I went.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
No vouchers in Winch station, Ollie. You'll have to work it out online.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
Ollie, I just got 1 of those 2for1 vouchers for the Ripley's Believe It or Not! attraction and basically, you sign up for the 2for1's on the website, you can get as many as you want and when you get to the attraction you hand over the voucher and present them your train ticket (both you and the person who is using the "Free" entry). No train ticket = no 2for1.

Hope that helps :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Ok thanks for looking Ian. And Thanks Lewis.

I wanted to do that Ripley's in London, but they charge like £20 per person which is a complete rip off considering the on in Blackpool is only a fiver.