What's new

My Orlando trip report: Part 8

peep

CF Legend
Re: My Orlando trip report: Part 3

We always went round starting by Canada and loved it every time, I wonder if there is some weird thing that you only enjoy it anti-clockwise? lol, I think tests need to be done on this theory :p

I agree that the FutureWorld part of the park is a bit dated but I still really enjoyed it. Soarin' is probably the most over-rated ride in existence, such a shame.

I really enjoyed the three caballeros ride, I thought it was fun and the song was really fun too.

Mark

Strata Poster

Epcot has always been a rather love hate place for me. I can never truely decide how I feel about it. I had always found it rather dated and a bit dull but there is something kinda cool about it too.

The weird thing is, with the World Showcase, on all but our last visit, we have always gone via Mexico doing the rides as we go but by the time we got to Germany we just got really bored and didn't truly look around each country. On our most recent visit, the weather was a bit cack so it was a case of getting into the shops for a respite from the rain. We looked at every single country in much more depth because of the weather and ended up really enjoying it. We had a lot of fun that day and wasn't bored at all. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact we started in Canada but more to do with the fact we were almost forced into the buildings by the weather, meaning we actually looked a lot deeper and found a lot more to enjoy.

Its a shame you opted for the tamer ride on Mission Space, although I totally understand why. On our first visit I was terrified (after hearing all the horror stories of vomit) that it was going to make me ill. I have found that spinny rides are hitting me harder than they ever used to :-( However, I thought sod it, if it makes me sick it wont last too long and there isnt really any other rides that would aggrevate the nausea (plus Marc really wanted to do the intense side). I found that I got right into it all and really enjoyed it. I didn't feel sick at all.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Philharmagic. I adore that show soooo much. Despite the fact it gives me cravings for Churros!

Hurri

Mega Poster

I think there's some substance to the 'start with Canada' theory. Even though Disney usually list the countries starting with Mexico, theme park psychology suggests the majority of visitors will naturally go to the right (although English people tend to go to the left) so it has probably been designed to work best when you go round anti-clockwise.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I had always found it rather dated and a bit dull but there is something kinda cool about it too.

Thats pretty much how I feel about it. I would imagine that if it wasn't a Disney park, it would probably just be dated and dull, but being a Disney park, it does have a good side to it.

Its just a weird park really, but I did really like it.

Oh, and IllumiNations is amazing! A lot much better than Wishes.

Mark

Strata Poster

Hmm I love wishes for the story and sentimental reasons whereas I love illuminations for its sheer scale. Both are brilliant.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I didn't have the best view for Wishes, plus I kept getting a cast member shout at me because my foot kept going over a white line (!), yet we had a great view for IllumiNations. Little things like that make all difference with firework displays. In saying that I did really like Wishes, I just thought IllumiNations was better.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

See I hate Illuminations. Maybe because I've seen it at least 50 times since it started showing around 10 years ago...

marc

CF Legend

Same here, we only bothered last time due to the added Xmas section.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Monday 10th September

So this was our day that we had booked to visit Busch Gardens. Even though we had to reserve our free transport online, nobody asked for any info regarding any kind of booking/reservation. It was here that I saw someone who looked a like Peep!

Despite bineg ridiculously excited, the journey went fairly quick and we soon arrived at the Busch. This was probably the park that I was most looking forward to visiting on this trip. However, it did disappoint.

SUC57268_zps7c7d35d8.jpg

I loved pulling into the car park and seeing Montu standing proud. Cheetah Hunt by the entrance looked a little less impressive.

SUC57269_zpsd9d5f13b.jpg

The parks entrance wasn't exactly grand.

SUC57270_zps5123d52e.jpg

Chunt was closed to begin with, so we opted for some Montu. Such an awsome coaster, and that Batwing was just incredibly forcefull!

SUC57271_zpsca580c38.jpg

And it was walk on! Which was a running theme for the day really, except for Cheetah Hunt. In the morning it had a 40 min queue, but come the afternoon that had gone down to 10 mins - so theres a tip, dont go to Cheetah Hunt first.

SUC57272_zpsd1984439.jpg

Which we did... but not long after it had reopened, so we didn't queue too long. It was here where I saw the Peep lookalike again! Could it really be him? what are the chances? I hadn't seen him mention it on CF, and he was in the States earlier in the year.... nah, it wasn't him!

SUC57273_zps502562ce.jpg

SUC57274_zps9e189cb4.jpg

Not going to lie, I didn't think much to Cheetah Hunt, at all. It was such an incredibly average coaster, which only just pokes the 'fun' boundary. The launches are weak, and the whole coaster is 90% force less, apart from the good airtime hill after the final launch. It just doesn't feel like its doing anything, just so bland. I really wanted to love it, but I just couldn't.

SUC57276_zps5bfaf609.jpg

We then circled the park getting in all the coasters - which sounds like a cred run, but in reality, there really isn't much at the park beyond the coasters. Plus the operations at the park can be a bit iffy, and I really didn't want to miss out on some big ass coasters!

SUC57277_zps17049743.jpg

I loved Scorpion, these are just fantastic little coasters. Though I dont quite see why its here...

SUC57278_zps304a11c6.jpg

SUC57279_zps5afce90b.jpg

Well ok, this one was a cred grab!

SUC57280_zpscdf2ee1e.jpg

Kumba was walk on, with only 1 train, which often left 3/4 empty - which shows just how empty the park really was!

SUC57281_zps6f3bf49f.jpg

SUC57282_zps5dae1ae5.jpg

SUC57283_zpsf994932e.jpg

SUC57284_zpsd9e5ef9f.jpg

So, my first B&M sitdown....I liked it. It was VERY intense, which can make it a little unpleasent - and add that to horrible grinding feeling that you get through-out the ride, where the train feels like it has no rubber on the wheels, and its just metal grinding along on metal (lots of juddering, too). I liked the coaster, but it wasn't overly comfortable

After Kumba we went through the Tiger walk through, which was prett good.

SUC57285_zps77822c6e.jpg

SUC57286_zps79269406.jpg

SUC57288_zpsbf58a695.jpg

SUC57289_zpscff80ff2.jpg

SUC57291_zps52cb13e8.jpg

SUC57292_zpsc954b932.jpg

SUC57293_zps3a3c019c.jpg

Lolz at the squirrels over there, they actually let you touch them!

SUC57295_zps698d20ce.jpg

Woop!

SUC57296_zpsd1d8dd66.jpg

SUC57298_zpsfeeab414.jpg

I liked Shiekra, not much else to say really. I really hated the pointless sound effect in the tunnel after the second 'drop', it was pointlessly loud and just annoying (same can be said for similar 'effects' on Space Mountain and Hulk)

SUC57294_zps149bae44.jpg

We then did the Log Flume - Stanley Falls. It wasn't very good tbh.

SUC57300_zps9d15793c.jpg

SUC57301_zps85c25b66.jpg

Before going back for more Shiekra!

SUC57302_zps0f08c6ff.jpg

SUC57303_zpsc3d1f4f1.jpg

And then we stumble across a cred...

SUC57304_zps2f01d2dc.jpg

With Gwazi just around the corner.. Tiger was spiting though </3

SUC57305_zps6893d232.jpg

Tbh, I couldn't even find the entrance for the tiger side...

SUC57306_zpsf88d8019.jpg

Its certainly an impressive looking coaster!

SUC57307_zps1854edf8.jpg

Not the most popular though!

Despite the lack of queues, it was still running with 2 trains! Which was a running theme for the holiday. No queues, yet coasters running with multiple trains! Not going to complain though.

SUC57308_zpsff2cdb74.jpg

SUC57309_zps05f49fcf.jpg

It was my first GCI, and its was horrific! I would imagine its actually a really good coaster, the layout was quite good, but the trains.... or track.... I dunno.... The pre-lift section was painful enough really.

We then found ourselves back near the entrance, this was where I found out that American cheese cake is nothing like english cheese cake. It was literally like a lump of mature cheddar in a cake!BLURGH!

Anyway, after that disaster, we circled the park again, this time taking more time to get some better pics.

SUC57311_zpsc74bc472.jpg

SUC57312_zps1e39cee1.jpg

SUC57313_zps6af8bf24.jpg

I gave Cheetah Hunt a few more chances, and my opinioned stayed the same. 6/10 from me. But on the other hand....

SUC57314_zps7de1a224.jpg

SUC57315_zps75f07af0.jpg

SUC57316_zps301d10db.jpg

SUC57318_zps356327a9.jpg

It was here where I encounted the famous Busch operations first hand, when they stopped running Montu due to the inclement weather - which was no where to be seen. 20 mins later, it reopened. Someone mentioned in another thread that they do this for staff breaks, but that cant be right as all the staff stayed by the coaster, and I over heard one of them speaking to another guest saying that all the big rides have now closed. Luckily it didn't last too long, and it didn't happen again.

We then wondered around the African animal bit, before trying out one of them Turkey legs that are EVERYWHERE.

SUC57326_zps8b6b962b.jpg

SUC57327_zpsc963b5b6.jpg

SUC57328_zps6288d5eb.jpg

SUC57330_zps137bf364.jpg

SUC57331_zpsa7c0ab54.jpg

SUC57332_zpsfefb10f9.jpg

It was gross.

SUC57333_zps86492ae8.jpg

These guys took care of the turkey leg for us...

SUC57334_zps873e7c1f.jpg

SUC57335_zps165f8868.jpg

SUC57336_zpsc815a481.jpg

I was glad to get on Scorpion, as I was majorly spited by Loudoun Castle!

It was now that we starting to realise why this park isn't actually that good. As good as some of the coasters are, thats basically all there is to do! Whilst the park is in a good location for guest numbers, its also in a bad location for people who that this thing seriously. Disney and Islands of Adventure (and even Seaworld) have an amazing variation of attractions, including world class dark rides, and IMO dark rides can really make or break a park for me, and this park is a good example of how it breaks.

When we return to Florida, if there is nothing new here, we wont bother visiting again. Why would we, when theres the likes of Islands of Adventure on our doorstep?

SUC57337_zps90d4defe.jpg

SUC57338_zps94dddfd7.jpg

SUC57339_zpsd4784c92.jpg

After more Kumba rerides, my opinion didn't change. Its a good, forcefull coaster, but its just unpleasent to ride.

We had a look at the Rapids, they didn't look particualry good, so we gave them a miss. The Log Flume was average at best, so we thought we probably wouldn't be missing out on much.

We also went on the train ride, which had the most ANNOYING commentator/speaker I have ever come across! He basically ruined the whole thing for us, which really annoyed us! But then we saw he only had one arm and we felt bad!lol

SUC57341_zps61aced49.jpg

So we left with mixed feelings of the park. Made worse by the fact that I was really looking forward to it!

SUC57342_zps75ccef3b.jpg

Bye byez Montus!

SUC57344_zpsfecb6fb2.jpg

Heading back, we went through an almighty storm!

SUC57347_zps618e95a9.jpg

SUC57348_zpsc68e8e95.jpg

Luckily it cleared up by the time we got back to Seaworld, so the the short walk to the hotel was a ncie dry one.

SUC57350_zpscd9bb0be.jpg

We then opted for tea at Dennys.... It was ok, the Village Inn was much better IMO.

And that was it for our forth day. I was so disappointed with how I felt about Busch, but even worse was to come the following day...

marc

CF Legend
Re: My Orlando trip report: Part 4 - Busch

Kumba was like that for us 2 years ago. Park was dead but we just could not re ride it, the sound gave me a bad head and it was just rough in a strange way.

I love scorpion as well would rather ride that than some of their other coasters lol.

Mark

Strata Poster

5 years ago, Kumba was absolutely fine for us. I loved it. However, a couple of years ago we went back and it was the same for us Martyn. Its just about rideable but that racket it makes ruins it a tad.

I totally agree that actually the park is not that great either. They have some good coasters but very little else. Its a pretty enough park but it certainly lacks something. BUT I would say it is certainly improving with additions like the Tiger walkthrough area. We spent about an hour in there watching them. Some gorgeous photots you have of that.

I have never really understood the hate of Gwazi though. I have always really enjoyed it :-/ It certainly wasn't as viscious and nasty as GhostRider (KBF).

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'll get going with this report again soon, cuz you cant have enough Orlando TR's going! :lol:

I miss the place so much, it was so much fun <3

Mike

Giga Poster

Sure, Kumba may be loud, but the ride is incredible!
Forceful yet extremely fun, which can be quite rare in a lot of coasters!

The only coaster which I don't really like in Busch is Gwazi. By far one of the worst GCIs I've been on... Although saying that my friend loved the ride, so maybe it's just a Marmite-y kind of ride?

Lofty

CF Legend

I really cannot agree more with you, on every point. You summed up my visit perfectly. Absolutely fantasic to see it wasn't just me that wanted to like Cheetah Hunt and thought it was stupidly mediocre. It genuinely bored me to utter death. The inline/corkscrew is such an awkward element too, it's not comfy in the slightest and it just made me think that when designing it, they realised it was going to be boring so thought 'throw an inversion in to wake them up'.

The park was like this when we went too, we stayed for Howl-O-Scream too and it was the same the, absolutely dead. Amazing.

Martyn B

CF Legend

So, day 5, Universal!

SUC57352_zpsbc736dab.jpg

Quick I-Ride trip and we're soon there!

SUC57354_zps0573c7e4.jpg

SUC57355_zpsdb1e6831.jpg

SUC57356_zpsb50f34ab.jpg

SUC57357_zps8605d579.jpg

I really liked the Universal Resort. Very similar to DLP, but more adult orientated.

SUC57360_zpsa5da3f06.jpg

First up, the Studios....

SUC57362_zps285b5f1f.jpg

... and Hollywood: Rip, Ride, Rockit

SUC57363_zps920212c6.jpg

As soon as we entered the queue it immediately felt like Universals rip off of the Rock 'n' Rollercoasters.

SUC57364_zpsfa39bb27.jpg

Some parts look funky, but its mostly one but ugly coaster. Its an all round turd really.

With a 5 min queue I jumped back in line for another go, and yep, still turd.

SUC57366_zps2fd348a1.jpg

Its a nice looking park, with a good atmosphere.

SUC57367_zps871f0f81.jpg

SUC57368_zpsfda9b96e.jpg

I LOVED The Revenge of the Mummy! FIRE <3

The backwards 'bit' seemed a bit pointless, and the lack of theming for the main coaster section was 'meh', but on the whole its a great coaster. And no queue ment a godo few re-rides!

SUC57369_zps710e10e2.jpg

Disaster was crap. MASSIVELY long drawn out build up, and then the end is just crap. Felt very, very outdated. Armageddon at WDS is better IMO.

After walking what seemed an age, we past all the construction walls and found ourselves at the other end of the park.

SUC57370_zps6992b8db.jpg

SUC57371_zps1b999b81.jpg

SUC57372_zpsff8cb71e.jpg

MIB Alien Attack was ok, nothing special really....

SUC57377_zps45a0e2b4.jpg

.... but I couldn't believe how **** The Simpsons Ride was. Its like the signature ride for the park, and its utterly ****!

It was after riding the Simpsons ride that I felt ripped off for the first (and only) time on the holiday. $10 for a TINY hot dog and packed of crisps! Robbing bastards!

SUC57379_zps7892df14.jpg

SUC57380_zps28a015c8.jpg

SUC57381_zpsc9874eef.jpg

In search of a cred....

SUC57382_zps0276d4f6.jpg

Bingo!

SUC57383_zps99831e4d.jpg

I liked the ET dark ride. Though wtf is that passport nonsense all about? Seemed a complete waste of time to me! Queuing up so someone can take your name, then hand you a card, which you give to next ride op you see....yeah, right.

SUC57384_zpsdba93ae3.jpg

SUC57385_zps81ab3bd0.jpg

Did I say how dead the park was?!

SUC57386_zpse207da0e.jpg

SUC57387_zps541a15c5.jpg

I liked T2, but then I do like the films. The acting aspect definitely made this more of a show really. It was the best of all the indoor crap the park has. Chloe hasn't seen the films, so she didn't know wft was going on! :lol:

SUC57389_zpsfb48e9f1.jpg

SUC57390_zpsf06da54c.jpg

By this time we were getting sick of all the 3D screens, glasses, simulators etc, but we marched on...

Minion mayhem was ok I guess, but its just so similar to everything else the park has. I would have probably liked it more if it was a different park, like Alton or Thorpe.

SUC57391_zps4c5410c6.jpg

SUC57393_zpse5f68c02.jpg

I dont mind Shrek, its kinda funny, so I knew what to expect with this. But again, it was just another bloody 3d screen with crappy effects!

SUC57394_zps8c8d3004.jpg

SUC57395_zps50a5fda2.jpg

I opt for a couple more rides on HRRR. I dont like it. Its just rubbish really. The music adds NOTHING to ride at all. Only positive is the restraints weren't cutting into me come the end of the ride.

G-Force >>>> HRRR.

SUC57396_zps49cb904e.jpg

Dated.

SUC57397_zps988f7bbd.jpg

SUC57398_zpsa0661e0d.jpg

My word they dont half build this one up with them tv screens. I was honestly a little worried as to what we were actually going to be doing. But nothing happened. Got a little wet, saw a cow, the end.

SUC57392_zpsd996c413.jpg

Its a really nice looking park, but its full of ****. The Mummy is the one ride worth re-riding. And I dont know if the Harry Potter land will make it much better tbh, I cant see how it can fit in with the theme of the park.

It was only something like 2pm, so we decided to spend a little while next door. Not wanting to do everything, just a few rides to get us in the mood for a full day there tomorrow.

SUC57399_zpsf91df483.jpg

Its already better....

SUC57400_zps8d09d57e.jpg

SUC57401_zps97c67080.jpg

SUC57402_zps3685d2c2.jpg

SUC57404_zpsb5334ff6.jpg

<3

SUC57405_zps7b229d57.jpg

First stop, Hulk, which was walk on!! omfg <3

SUC57406_zps822416e2.jpg

SUC57407_zps390fa035.jpg

Very intense, but I found it more enjoyable than Kumba.

SUC57409_zps0cdc4719.jpg

SUC57411_zps4c5ff00c.jpg

We then minced round to Potterland...

SUC57412_zps86d4aef9.jpg

Omg, its stunning! I'm not even a fan really, but the attention to detail is just unreal. And the castle is just spectacular!

SUC57413_zps51815da9.jpg

SUC57416_zpsbd364e57.jpg

Even the cred lookec pretty neat!

SUC57417_zpsc7bf3f09.jpg

SUC57418_zpsf63ba10b.jpg

The Forbidden Journey is just as spectacular as the castle itself. I honestly didn't know a thing about it. Just incredible.

SUC57420_zps12b5ceed.jpg

SUC57421_zpsc190fd32.jpg

So, Dragon Challenge. T'was fun. Great theming in the queue, but the coasters were just build over waste land... shame really. And I so hope they will duel again one day.

SUC57422_zpsc7703c4b.jpg

SUC57423_zpsf8dd8be4.jpg

For the record, I preffered the blue coaster. It was less intense and just more enjoyable really. Still, they're both good coasters.

SUC57424_zps1d4b4e1b.jpg

SUC57425_zps649a663a.jpg

Butter Beer <3

SUC57426_zps9df095ac.jpg

Loved the place already!

SUC57429_zpsa4378cdd.jpg

We then went for some lunch in City Walk, at Pastamoré. Was pretty nice.

SUC57430_zpsc0fc5039.jpg

SUC57433_zpsac5c329a.jpg

Despite the Studios being awful, we still had a really good day, and was very much looking forward to returning the following day.

davidm

Strata Poster
Re: My Orlando trip report: Part 5 - Universal

^ you seem to have "triple-posted" in that post ;-)

PS - Disagree about Simpsons, thats great IMHO. HRRR > Mummy too - goes to show everyone's opinion is different.

PPS - ET says "Goodbye <insert name from passport here>" as you pass him at the end of the ride ; thats the point, not a GREAT point by any stretch but some "interaction" that someone thought was cool decades ago.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Sorted. God knows what happened there.

Maybe saying the Simpsons ride was utterly **** was a bit ott, but it is just a simulator really, and I'm not the biggest fan of them.

marc

CF Legend

Martyn did you actually like anything in Orlando?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Jeez, I've hardly been that negative!

I loved: WDW, IOA and Seaworld. Only disliked Busch because of the lack of 'other' attractions and I didn't like the Universal Studios park, thats it!