What's new

Most underrated uk coaster

JackFish

Mega Poster
My most underrated is rita, doesn't deserve the hate
I don't think Rita gets hate per se. I think it is overshadowed by Nemesis and The Smiler, but it isn't hated. In my opinion, it is underrated, but just a little bit. It is one of the weaker Intiman Accelerators but it is still a good ride. Punchy launch and decent layout. It just gets overshadowed by other coasters in the park from B&M and Gerst that are some of the best of their respective models.

emoo

Hyper Poster
I think Rita's biggest detractor is it could have been so much more. Its so basic in a park full of creative thinking. Plenty of fun but come on. My bigger gripe with this ride layout and Merlin is when they wanted something for Heidie Park that didn't have any of the restrictions they phoned in a clone.

Was the Ultimate ever underrated and just infamous, or recognised for everything so wrong working so right?

Cannonball Express
I've never even heard of this before so I guess a strong contender.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I don't really think there are many great coasters in the UK for many to be underrated to be honest.

That said, I'd probably opt for Revolution. It's still pretty smooth, intense and unique. A classic coaster that hasn't really worn over time.

It's an easy bang for buck, thrill wise. Does more for me than Icon and The Big One in that department.

I'd probably stick a vote in for Colossus.

I think it's roughness is often exaggerated and I would argue that it's been running quite smooth this past season. (I'd go as far as saying that Rita is rougher.)

While the restraints aren't the greatest and the legroom is an issue, I don't think they're as awful as a lot of people say they are. That said, I am only 5'7 and I can see how the trains could be significantly worse to someone who's on the taller side.

Also the layout is pretty good.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Nemesis - simultaneously most highly rated and underrated UK ride.

After doing the likes of Fury 325, Steel Vengeance, Kingda Ka, El Toro, Lightning Rod, Iron Gwazi in 2023 and ending that season with the final day that Nemesis was open, all I could think was… damn, this ‘puny’ UK ride still has it by the truckload. The section from the start of first inversion through to the end of the second is legendary. What a beast!!!

endermanloveH20

Mega Poster
I'm probably going to have to say Nemesis

It has a great theme around it, and it doesn't get as much love as other coasters in the world.

j-cat5

Roller Poster

I think it's roughness is often exaggerated and I would argue that it's been running quite smooth this past season. (I'd go as far as saying that Rita is rougher.)

While the restraints aren't the greatest and the legroom is an issue, I don't think they're as awful as a lot of people say they are. That said, I am only 5'7 and I can see how the trains could be significantly worse to someone who's on the taller side.

I remember way back 2011, long before I was properly into/ aware of rides, me and my gf at the time decided to skive a day of uni to go the Thorpe Park on a totally empty Friday in like February or something. We had an absolute blast particularly with Stealth and Tidal Wave, but we both agreed that the absolute standout of day was Colossus. It was such a great ride and I'm always sad to see it gets such hate these days. I can only assume that

a) We were both totally immune to roughness at the time or, I guess more likely

b) It got a LOT rougher over timem, which is sad to see

I haven't been back since and not sure I ever will, but I will ALWAYS have great memories of this ride......

FogZog

Mega Poster

I rode Colossus last month and boy was it rough rough rough. The trains were so tight too and I’m skinny. Maybe it would stand a chance with new trains but wow I hated it.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Only coaster in any of the big Merlin parks that I deliberately skip, every single visit!

Amongst UK goons, I’d definitely say Smiler is the most underrated. The hate it gets is wholly undeserved, only place it’s rough is the last 2 inversions. It doesn’t suffer that headache inducing Gerst rattle throughout the entire layout like say Saw does. And the general public love it!

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Nemesis Inferno, I've long said it shouldn't have ever been given the Nemesis name. It's to its detriment as it always gets compared to its far superior Midlands counterpart.

Take away the Nemesis name, just call it Inferno and take a look at the layout. It's actually a bloody good ride, packs a punch and still rides butter smooth in its 20th year. Now the effects are working again you could fool me into believing it's a brand new ride.

JackFish

Mega Poster
I'm probably going to have to say Nemesis

It has a great theme around it, and it doesn't get as much love as other coasters in the world.
It is in so many people's top 10s, it is a great ride, not underrated at all. Maybe in the world, it isn't talked about enough (Personally I think it's too hyped up) But it is definitely not underrated.

Climb

Mega Poster
Nemesis Inferno, I've long said it shouldn't have ever been given the Nemesis name. It's to its detriment as it always gets compared to its far superior Midlands counterpart.

Take away the Nemesis name, just call it Inferno and take a look at the layout. It's actually a bloody good ride, packs a punch and still rides butter smooth in its 20th year. Now the effects are working again you could fool me into believing it's a brand new ride.
It's honestly aged like fine wine - I think it's a really great invert, one of my favourites actually.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
It's honestly aged like fine wine - I think it's a really great invert, one of my favourites actually.
Gonna have to 100% agree here. Riding it during Fright Nites it was absolutely flying and so so smooth. The forces are punchy as hell (the loop is way more powerful than Nemesis’). It’s so well paced and the theme is really cool. I couldn’t get enough of it. Was surprised really as I never really thought of it as highly before. I hope it gets some renovations soon as some of the track and theming is looking a little tired. But yeah, defo underrated.

Thrillseeker2024

Roller Poster
I don't think Rita gets hate per se. I think it is overshadowed by Nemesis and The Smiler, but it isn't hated. In my opinion, it is underrated, but just a little bit. It is one of the weaker Intiman Accelerators but it is still a good ride. Punchy launch and decent layout. It just gets overshadowed by other coasters in the park from B&M and Gerst that are some of the best of their respective models.
I understand, but I do know youtubers (DigitalDan) hate on it

Matt N

CF Legend
I’d have to thoroughly concur with both Rita and Nemesis Inferno, which have already mentioned. Rita in particular gets a lot of hate, but I think it’s absolutely awesome!

This might seem like an odd choice, but I’d actually go for Icon. I know that there was a considerable wave of hype for the ride back in 2018, but it seemed like that dissipated after it opened and most seem at best apathetic towards it these days. I often hear people say that it’s among the UK’s weaker coasters and not even one of the better coasters at Pleasure Beach. However, I absolutely love it and think that it’s such a phenomenal ride packed with fun; it’s my favourite UK coaster!

I’d also nominate Thirteen. People often seem to hate it, but I actually really enjoy it; I think it’s a very solid coaster! It’s not the most intense, but the outdoor section has some fun pops of airtime, with the first drop in particular being pretty good towards the back of the train, and that drop track and backwards section are always a laugh!