What's new

Most Rollercoaster Tycoon-like coaster?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Chances are if you're in this hobby, you've played Rollercoaster Tycoon. You know the drill, you build the coaster, you place the entrance and exit booths, the station is just a wooden bar on the side of the track probably really high up in the air, you lay the queue line for peeps to follow to your coaster. And it's probably in some bizarre landscape where there would never be a park missing half its supports because there's crap under it that deleted them. And the grid. Of course the grid. Which coaster most reminds you of playing this classic game?

I have to give it to this one:

10175029_824669207562108_4314727546797978121_n.jpg

My home park Kings Island's The Bat has the RCT mentality written all over it. It's an exact clone of the suspended at Canada's Wonderland (which works beautifully with its surroundings), but with this one it's like they saved the layout, pulled it out in that valley, and plonked it down with stupid long supports to just kind of exist. Then, they used the basic scenery feature to construct a boxy, grid-like station out of pipes and steel and supports and slabs. Then, they ran a path out over the valley really high off the ground as it cornered around back to the woods. After right-clicking away some trees, they ran a row of path through the woods and then connected it back to the main park, making sure to slide the path under something and cramming it next to another queue line. The most RCT thing I can think of, right there.

So which coaster feels most like it was a product of this iconic game? Discuss!

BigBad

Mega Poster
Something did seem odd about that ride when I was there, but I thought it was pretty fun.

I'll go with Skyrush. The entrance end exit are on the same side without having multiple stations. More importantly, though, the negative Gs light up red and give an "extreme" rating, agreed?

(Can you believe that the threshold in the game was something like 2.5G for airtime and at least 2 for laterals? It's even worse in RCT3, where I've hit 11G in valleys while having a reasonable intensity rating. The game was great, but it always amused me that I could subject guests to forces that aren't expected to be tolerated by fighter pilots.)

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The Ultimate and Marineland's Dragon Mountain remind me of the type of coasters I built. They weren't necessarily terrain coasters, but because they often wandered around the park. Also multiple lift hills, excessive straight track, odd transitions and taking elements quickly, then too slowly are all traits of my award winning design skills. There may have been a carpet of sick covering my paths, but my coasters were boundary pushing.

BigBad

Mega Poster
I've heard of Dragon Mountain since I was a kid. I watched a POV of it, and one part of it (is there a helix) has an RCT-style transition.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Nothing screams RCT more than the lift hills of these things:

44689.jpg

Pic from RCDB.

Another one I can think of is Raging Bull, as it has almost every element on an RCT3 B&M Hyper.

Any Arrow Hyper as well, because every hill that's just outside of the range for a parabolic hill ends up like a triangular hill.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Can't find any pictures, but I do also think it's worth mentioning Twister at Knoebels. The station was really high off the ground and it had that weird turn in the middle of the lift hill.

And let's not forget TOGO practically designs their coasters with the software. :p

XLR8R

Roller Poster
Yagiyama Cyclone (Bennyland)

It looks like it was designed with RCT2 and I heard it's not very friendly for taller riders.

10939.jpg

2012HHNFan

Roller Poster
Personally, I find coasters like Nitro, Goliath, and Titan to be most RCT like as they are all in RCT2, as well as Storm Runner which is in RCT3.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Two for me and for pretty much the same reason:
Great Bear at Hersheypark. First up, it's that "I know, let's be silly and have a helix as part of the first drop", but mostly it's the way it just kind of winds around at the end in a desperate attempt to somehow manage to link up with the station again:
2835291334_d47ce049d2_b.jpg

Then Shockwave at Drayton Manor. It's that ride when you're doing a scenario and have run out of money and just go "Bollocks to it - I'm just going to have to put straight bit here and a straight bit there to get it back to the station. I'll fix it later when I've got more cash".

Just so much straight. (and there's a phrase you don't often hear on CF :p )

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
This Coaster in Thailand always reminds me of my launched shuttle coasters on RCT2. Build the spike way too **** big and watch as the car barely makes its a third of the way up.

_3496819032.jpg

0605tj.jpg

There are much better pics on rcdb http://rcdb.com/3436.htm but I'm not sure how to nab photos from there anymore.