What's new

Most pathetic fanbase

Which fan group do you think are the most pathetic?

• Beliebers

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Directioners

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've been reading the Twitter trends in disbelief this morning. Last night there was a documentary on Channel Four about the fans of One Direction - "Directioners".

They're all up in arms because they think they were portrayed badly. I didn't watch it, but I imagine it was quite true. Loads of little delusional girls thinking that they boys will marry them etc.

Up pipe the Justin Bieber fans - "Beliebers" - to say that they sympathise with Directioners and they will defend them, despite the bitter rivalry between the two groups.

Some examples:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Adoring_Louis1/status/368279726374133761[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/harrys_gotstyle/status/368275347780808704[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/heartbeat4harry/status/368211938624303104[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/malikjdb/status/368199283222511616[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hakunapotato/status/368189234978357248[/tweet]

My personal fave:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Zarrydashian/status/368135695862231043[/tweet]

I'm not one to mock peoples obsessions (I love rollercoasters ffs), but this outpouring of emotion and serious, over the top dedication is, in my opinion, delusional and boderline psychotic. Don't these idiots understand that by bombarding Twitter with stuff like this only makes them look even more idiotic?

Which fan group do you think are the most pathetic?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It is like comparing anthrax to Ebola. So I can't really pick which is worse. Beliebers because they're so pathetically superior, or Directioners because they're so superiorly pathetic?

While I don't think this kind of thing is new (I think it started even before The Beetles, though they're really the personification of the madness), it's worrying how accessible everything is now. Before, screaming idiots would have to make a huge effort to feel like they're communicating with their pack and pack alphas. Today, this psychosis (and it's the only word I can think of to describe it) is fuelled by the ease of access to information and the instant ability to "yell" using Twitter.

It's pretty scary stuff to be honest.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Fandoms in general on Twitter offer a depressing insight into the future generations. Free time sent spamming strangers across the world, begging and pleading for attention and beyond idolising a band a few years older than their target audience which causes untold issues with regards to sexual maturity

death threats are passed off as normal (funny given they've happened for years from these girls yet a few guys did it against female campaigners and were arrested swiftly.

Their logic is continually flawed. As shown above. We're not like the psychos on that tv program who spam twitter, look we'll spam twitter to get loads trending to pro e a point.

Full of lies too for effect, seen that 14 or 42 or 17 fans have killed themselves because of the documentary already.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
This is a very hard choice both are pathetic. I think directioners just take the title though because from what I've personally seen they are worst, once I got sent a message asking me to be one..... Though they are both as bad as each other.

Casio

Mega Poster
Great topic. Both 'artists' are irritating, they're effectively just actors payed lots to take on the role of these 'musicians', placed into the charts by their wealthy bosses, but they're no more musician than any regular actor in a musical (and obviously not as skilled), they don't write songs or play music. At least in real life One Direction seem to realise this and don't take it too seriously; they're just happy getting paid loads, whereas Bieber seems to genuinely think he's the God of Music.

But as for the fans? Probably One Direction. They seem much more protective and like to write notes on their iPhone and claim they're 'rants'. The other day the Sun was advertising the upcoming Morgan Spurlock documentary and referred to them as 'Harry Styles and the One Direction Boys' on Twitter and they got loads of backlash from little kids demanding they be referred to only as One Direction; as if The Sun had an obligation to forgo more people reading their articles to appease the fans. It's so sad to see people give up their own lives to follow other, regular humans around when they could be making something of themselves.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Beleibers for sure! I remember a few months ago there were various hoaxes going around about Justin Beiber (I'm sure somebody can elaborate further), one being Justin Beiber having Leukaemia and the second being Justin Beibers drug addiction. On both occasions the fans that believed the hoaxes were shaving off their hair (females!) and cutting their wrists in 'support' for Beiber. That is plain wrong!

And on a secondary note, I was seeing/porking a girl last year that had a crush on Justin Beiber and even had a poster of him on her wall (yes she was legal) and trying to blast her whilst Justin Beiber is staring at you square in the eye is **** disturbing! So yeah even more hate for him and his Beliebers.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Yea...the #cutforbeiber tag caused quite a stir. To the point in which it was rumored Twitter banned any hashtag relating to Beiber for a short while or so (again, just rumor and internet heresay)

Plus it gained news worthy attention as while MOST of the accounts were fake, there were a small group of girls that believed it to be real and were actually cutting up their arma in the belief that Justin would care and stop smoking WEED. No drug addiction, just pot smoking.

Ugh, the only people worse than these two choices are Twi-Hards. Case in point: When the actor and actress stopped dating in real life, people were complaining how that if "Edward and Bella cant stay together, then there is no such thing as everlasting love" or some **** like that.

Plus you have the smaller grouping of Twi-hards known as Twi-Moms (which resulted in that one lady with her entire back tattoo being one of the Movie posters). I think you should add in Twihards as well Ian, as they must SURELY give Beliebers and Directioners (never heard that term before, but whatevs) a good run for their money.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I just think it's funny that things little girls get obsessed over and cry over are called 'pathetic' yet things that men get obsessed over and cry over (*cough*football*cough*) are deemed totally socially acceptable. And to be honest, the obsession I've seen in football is a million times for terrifying than anything some boyband fans are capable of.

So, in answer to your questions, I think the most pathetic fan base are football fans, because seeing grown men cry over a ball in a net is much more disturbing to me than girls crying over meeting their idols/cute boys.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don''t disagree with what you're saying in essence Jordan, but...

Apart from the "fans" (who are essentially as devoted and obsessed as any fan of anything else), it's a thing that only happens when a game is played.

It's a kind of temporary emotional insanity, akin to if you go and see a live band you love. While football isn't being played, football fans (for the most part, and considering the huge number of fans it's a tiny percentage who are exceptions) are just normal people. They don't spend all their time fantasising about what their team is doing then, or how great it would be to go drinking in the pub with certain players. It just doesn't really dominate their lives completely. It's just like this hobby, it's pick up and put down when it's relevant.

These band obsessives really do allow their lives to revolve around the group. Every waking action is dictated by what the band will do next, who is saying what about the band, which song of the band's meets their current mood, what wedding dress they'll wear when they marry x-member of the band.

Or at least that's the impression you get from their online actions. It's that complete lifestyle (24/7) devoted to their obsession which is the problem.

Otherwise, I do completely agree that when football fanatics are in "football mode", they're probably equally as bad (equally as bad giving them the benefit of the doubt) :)

Darren B

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
I just think it's funny that things little girls get obsessed over and cry over are called 'pathetic' yet things that men get obsessed over and cry over (*cough*football*cough*) are deemed totally socially acceptable. And to be honest, the obsession I've seen in football is a million times for terrifying than anything some boyband fans are capable of.

So, in answer to your questions, I think the most pathetic fan base are football fans, because seeing grown men cry over a ball in a net is much more disturbing to me than girls crying over meeting their idols/cute boys.

Although I'm an avid football fan and I'm desperate to tell you that your wrong, you've actually made a really valid point, And the fact that supporters/footballers and referees have been murdered over the sport kind of backs up your statement.

But also I'm sure these young girls (and I'm sure boys) who are Beleibers or directioners probably don't understand what all the fuss is about in regards to football just as we don't understand their passion for 6 pubescent lads with **** all talent! I think it's just an age and culture thing.

nadroJ

CF Legend
furie said:
Apart from the "fans" (who are essentially as devoted and obsessed as any fan of anything else), it's a thing that only happens when a game is played.

It's a kind of temporary emotional insanity

I disagree, I've seen proper family disputes based on what team people choose to support and full on fights break out because of their chosen team. Conor can't wear a Celtic top in some places out of fear he'll be attacked (and has been before). So, whilst the temporary madness thing is true of some people I would be inclined to disagree, growing up in a football culture I've seen more than my fair share of the obsessive nature of football fandom outside of game days, and it is something that is passed down through generations, something I highly doubt a love of a boyband or novel will be.

AND if football isn't a 24 hour obsession, pray tell the point of the existence of 24 hour Sky Sports news? ;] Online, on your mobile, on television. There clearly is an obsessive need for a constant update on all things football 24 hours a day, and whilst you argue that people don't sit and think about what their favourite football player is doing at said moment in time, I've lived with enough football fanatics to argue the contrary. Me and my mum constantly sit rolling our eyes at each other as the conversation is forever turned back towards football. I mean constantly. We can be talking about ANYTHING and it can be related back to the sport. If that's not obsessive then I don't know what is.

I'm not saying a passion for something is bad, if anything I embrace it. But what gets me is that certain passions are socially acceptable and allowed, whilst other equally psychotic passions are not. This is the issue.

Smithy

Strata Poster
The fear of being attacked for wearing a Celtic top probably has very little to do with football tbh.

These obsessions are far more obsessive than football supporters, and far more widespread. It just tends to peak more often because games are played more regularly than concerts are held for fans to go and enjoy and show their support.

What's viewed as excessive in football (standing outside car park exits screaming, sending death threats to players partners, writing fan-fics of two players secretly knobbing each other) is the norm for the One Direction fanbase.

nadroJ said:
AND if football isn't a 24 hour obsession, pray tell the point of the existence of 24 hour Sky Sports news? ;] Online, on your mobile, on television. There clearly is an obsessive need for a constant update on all things football 24 hours a day

Sports.

Depending on the time of year their hourly news reel (might as well be on a repeat for the most part) is probably 50% football and the rest made up of cricket, rugby, golf, athletics news.

I'm not saying a passion for something is bad, if anything I embrace it. But what gets me is that certain passions are socially acceptable and allowed, whilst other equally psychotic passions are not. This is the issue.

Because most people don't regard them as 'equal' as you do.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The thing is Jordan, I've never experienced any of that at all.

Yet there are 20 football fans in this building with me now, probably 100 within a good shouting distance, 1000 in the ST16 postcode area, 20,000 in Stafford township, 10,000,000 in the Midlands, maybe 40,000,000 across the country.

It's huge numbers, yet the "psychotic" incidents must be relatively isolated or in a tiny minority, otherwise the country would be knee deep constantly in football related hate and violence.

One Direction's last album sold 1.2 million in the UK. So we can assume a rough fan base of around 1.2 million. Yet these fans make a bigger "angsty" noise than the entire 60%+ of the population who like football put together. They're 40 times fewer and 40 times louder. For many of the fans too, it's a very self destructive obsession.

However, you're completely right.

Football is an institutionalised obsession. It's an acceptable way to demonise other members of the human race in essentially a tribal way. It's obsessed over by grown adults (who should really know better than 14 year old girls). Few people ever grow out of being a football fan.

The one thing I will say is that football fanaticism has matured and mellowed over the years. I think culturally it's a very different place generally than it was 20 or 30 years ago (except maybe in Scotland :p - but even there I think it's mellowed to vaguely where the rest of the UK was 20 or 30 years ago :) ).

Band obsession though hasn't - it's got worse as new outlets have allowed the (let's face it, mostly) immature base to get their voices heard.

Cultural changes are slowly eroding the tribalism of football, but different cultural changes are inciting psychotic obsessiveness over pop culture.

IMO of course :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Phil, you keep essentially saying "i know many football fans and they aren't mental". It's going to be the same for One Direction or Bieber fans.

You've got to also remember that because football is a.socially acceptable and normal thing to like, more people discover it and like it in the first place. People range wildly in their care for it.

With something like a boy band, unless you listen to the radio a lot, and at that specific stations, exposure is low.

The shock when you say you couldn't give a toss about football in the UK ain't far off that of "i don't enjoy getting drunk".

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
In terms of numbers and "percentage of nutters", football must have a much lower percentage of mad people following it because the sheer numbers don't relate into everyday chaos.

If it's true that 70% of the UK population "like football" and 1% of those are nutters, we're still talking about 420,000 or so complete maniacs on the streets inciting violence, threatening murder, etc, etc. That's just under half the potential number of One Direction fans.

Yet there's more "obvious" psychosis from One Direction fans. If they had the same 1% fruitcake base, would only amount to 1,200 or so fans off their trolleys doing the damage - which just isn't a large enough number of people to cause such a massive fuss.

It's just for me, the numbers don't quite add up. I agree with what you're saying about people being part of it from growing up, social acceptability, etc. It's just Jordan is arguing that they're worse, yet in reality, I just don't see the similar numbers of incidents in the same scale as the number of fans/people involved.

That's why I said they're 40 times fewer in number, but 40 times louder. That's not saying football fans are all salt of the earth, wonderful human beings, just that there's a much lower percentage of trouble makers - or so it appears.

Of course, I'll bet those lower number of trouble makers perform much worse atrocities...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The media is making this look worse than it is, though. Football violence is an every day occurrence. No idea how you've missed it all 100 or so years of your life! ;)

You've also gotta look at the audience you're dealing with. Young girls arent sound of mind at the best of times. And, AND, how much of it is trolls and internet only phenomena? The percentage of these girls who use Twitter is going ti be higher than football fans.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2