What's new

Most Innovative Coaster

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Take it to PMs guys... these last few posts have a lot more argument and a lot less content. So leave the topic for actual discussion.

Snoo

The Legend
Aww.. you ruined the fun!

..and I didn't get to post some stupid spam retarded post in the middle like I normally do.. :p

As for the topic, I'm going to roll with Hydes thoughts:

Hyde244 said:
For instance, Bat at Kings Island was introduced in 1980 as the first suspended coaster. Though it didn't last long due to maintenance and comfort issues, it was still an innovative step in roller coaster design.

Although there were designs before it, I've always felt it opened the door for suspended coasters to shine.. and then Inverts to roll out into the open.

10ryansmith

Roller Poster
There are a ton of innovative rides. Alot of them have already been metioned. One that I think that they missed was Expedition Everest and the flip track. That is the only coaster that I have ridden that has that and it is awsome.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I don't know what the first coaster with upstop wheels was, but the invention of the upstop wheel really set the ball rolling for every type of coaster built today.

Then there was Matterhorn Bobsleds, the first coaster made with tubular steel. This allowed the possibility of inverting coasters.

I wouldn't ever define any coaster as the most innovative, but some are more than others, and some stand out.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
10ryansmith said:
There are a ton of innovative rides. Alot of them have already been metioned. One that I think that they missed was Expedition Everest and the flip track. That is the only coaster that I have ridden that has that and it is awsome.
The flip track is primarily used for dual loading stations and storage track.

Vekoma simply used this design outside of the station.

Universal's two Revenge of the Mummy coasters are also good examples of layouts that use the flip track during the ride.

Don't forget the flip track concept is also used on a number of water rides, such as Maelstrom at Epcot or Storm Force 10 at Drayton Manor.

jayjay said:
I don't know what the first coaster with upstop wheels was, but the invention of the upstop wheel really set the ball rolling for every type of coaster built today.
Even before the invention of the upstop wheel, there was the invention of the chain lift, anti-rollback, and Turn Around, all essential parts to a full circuit roller coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I was interpreting turn tables as flip track as well.

Backward train travel by moving/flipping track has been used outside of Expedition Everest.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
I haven't ridden all these, but I would have to say that they each stand out as being quite different :
X (or X2 --4D)
Oblivion (straight underground "dive")
Maximum RPM! (the lift)
Dueling Dragons (dueling inverts)
Magnum XL-200 (an early hyper)
Millennium Force (a "giga" ?)
Son Of Beast (a 200ft. wooden with a loop)
Superman - Ultimate Flight (flying, "pretzel loop")
Mystery Mine (strange for the U.S.)
Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit (again, different for the U.S.)
Manta (interaction with animals)

stevewalsh

Roller Poster
Without Doubt Aerial Inversion Ride is a Highly Innovative Ride, Just due to the restraint system, and the loading system, and the most advanced trains ever.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
stevewalsh said:
Without Doubt Aerial Inversion Ride is a Highly Innovative Ride, Just due to the restraint system, and the loading system, and the most advanced trains ever.

Took me ten seconds to work out which ride you meant - then I pissed myself laughing at the use of your made up acronym :lol:

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I think innovation applys to too many coasters. Let's not talk about arrow and vekoma though.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
wash said:
theRock-steel said:
Manta (interaction with animals)

Do you know something we don't? :shock:

There is supposed to be some kind of splash down pool with animals in it near the end. They really haven't been very descriptive about this, so that's all we know so far.

trav

Mega Poster
theRock-steel said:
There is supposed to be some kind of splash down pool with animals in it near the end.

So instead of having water sprayed, you'd have guts and blood sprayed every where?

Nice one SeaWorld.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
i'd like to put forward a notable mention to Alton Towers for innovation. Nemesis, Oblivion and Air all some of/the firsts of their kind.

stevewalsh

Roller Poster
furie said:
stevewalsh said:

Took me ten seconds to work out which ride you meant - then I pissed myself laughing at the use of your made up acronym :lol:

LOL Furie, Its not a made up acronym, its the name B&M and John Wardley gave to the ride type when they were designing it, AIR is an Acronym of Aerial Inversion Ride. (Just like RITA is the Reverse Acronym of Alton Towers Intamin Rocket)

Ben

CF Legend
LOL Furie, Its not a made up acronym, its the name B&M and John Wardley gave to the ride type when they were designing it, AIR is an Acronym of Aerial Inversion Ride. (Just like RITA is the Reverse Acronym of Alton Towers Intamin Rocket)

So... much... fail...

Leighton

Mega Poster
I'm sure I heard the AIR acronym before I properly became an enthusiast in 2002.

Alot of sites seem to support it.

Coaster Grotto said:
Air is an acronym for Aerial Inversion Ride

http://www.coastergrotto.com/review.jsp?argId=256

Coaster-net.com said:
Europe's most world-renown park has scored again with their fifth 'Secret Weapon' - AIR. Alton Towers debuted the Aerial Inversion Ride

http://www.coaster-net.com/editorialsandarticles.php?action=displayarticle&editorialid=6

On the main ride list Coaster-net.com said:
AIR: Aerial Inversion Ride

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/air said:
AIR, Aerial Inversion Ride

I could keep posting quotes for the next 3 hours, there are lots from reputable coaster sites, but I need to get to sleep :p
Even though they don't prove that it does actually stand for Aerial Inversion Ride, it proves that he is not the only person that has heared it.

Not sure about the RITA acronym though. :?