What's new

Mid Hants Railway

Peter

Hyper Poster
Today me and a few mates went to hit the Mid Hants Railway (also known as the Watercress line.) A few of you know that I work on a narrowguage steam railway as a driver, so we occasionally go up and gawp at the big engines.

The pictures arn't fantastic, but meh.

The day starts at Alresford Station:

vpzwic.jpg

r01s9t.jpg

2h5odbm.jpg

o0qyx5.jpg

Our engine today was No. 34007, Wadebridge.

25493256.jpg

6rjbyf.jpg

We were about 30 minutes early, so got talking to the fireman, who then invited us up into the cab!

93949544.jpg

Being a steam driver myself, it was great fun looking around the cab of a mainline engine. It was lovely and warm in there, and that was with the engine stationary and not doing any work. God knows how hot it gets when she's pulling up the hills!

18482039.jpg

29950563.jpg

So its off on our journey to Alton! (There are no towers at this Alton though :( ) First Station we pass is Ropley, which also has the engine yard, so lots of opportunity to see the other engines the railway has.

2yod7xc.jpg

27748823.jpg

21505616.jpg

38174837.jpg

Best part of the day comes next, when I receive texts from Ollie and Slayed telling me to get in contact with Ian immediatly. A quick phone call to Ian confirms I have a place on the Saw preview day on Thursday. :lol:

We continue up hill, over the alps (that's what they call the highest point of the track at this railway) and then down into Alton about an hour after we left Alresford.

88416319.jpg

Alton is also a main line station. The engine then shunts over to the other end of the train, to pull us back.

54033835.jpg

28716723.jpg

Its a steep hill out of Alton, and the engine was really pulling hard. Lots of steam, smoke and noise. It's lovely sticking your head out the window and watching the engine work. :--D

47754125.jpg

We were very close to the engine though, so getting decent pics was hard.

Back the same way we came, to Alresford Station. Where the train has to shunt over to the other end, ready for the next journey to Alton.

30816162.jpg

80857741.jpg

82053733.jpg

We did a couple of trips, since our tickets are also day rovers, so might as well get your money worth!

Twas a good day out chasing trains. :)

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Ahhhhh, I used to love trains.

One day i wanna go on one of these sort of trips down an old line.

Nice, but different, report.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh so that'swhere the Watercress line is! I visit Alresford once a month to see some mates and I knew it was in that area but never realised it was there. [/ignorant] Must get round to doing that one day.

Beans

Hyper Poster
I have done the Bluebell at Sheffield Park, but might try this one, love old trains and sometimes walk the dissused lines around home.

Nice pics

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've been there. I was doing some thing in Alton with the family and we decided to have a ride to fill in time. (I didn't manage to persuade them to go to Thorpe)

nealbie

CF Legend
Ian said:
Oh so that'swhere the Watercress line is! I visit Alresford once a month to see some mates and I knew it was in that area but never realised it was there. [/ignorant] Must get round to doing that one day.
*tuts at Ian's ignorance* :wink:

I love the Watercress Line, I know at least 3 people that volunteer there. (including the chap who dresses up as The Fat Controller for Thomas events :lol: )

And my God, in the last 2 years Ropley's engine yard has had an EXTREME makeover, it was a right dump when I went last, it looks so tidy now! (Unless of course it was all conveniently hidden around the corner, thus being out of the picture)

Looks like you had fun, sometimes (when I say sometimes I mean like twice a year) they go past Alton and all the way to Victoria for special events.

A

Anonymous

Only been on that line once. Was on a rail tour with Steam Dream. Really nice line. You ever been on the SVR?