What's new

Merlin's global expansions

Nic

Strata Poster
It would appear that Merlin have been announcing a lot of smaller new developments around the world recently. This is part of what they describe as their "aggressive growth plan", and involves "rolling out 6/7 new sites for its exciting brands around the world every year".

Yesterday, Merlin announced that it plans to bring more of its world famous brands into Orlando. They've joined up with the people behind the redevelopment of Mercado on International Drive to help create I-Walk Orlando, a shopping, eating and entertainment destination. Whilst details are currently very vague, it is thought that it will include an 'Eye' branded observation wheel and a Madame Tussauds. The centre is expected to open in 2013. Read the Press Release

Another deal was also completed for the Merlin yesterday. It was announced in December that the company had taken control of the Kelly Tarlton's attractions in Australia and New Zealand, This will including re-branding current attractions (mainly Sealife centres, and the use of the 'Eye' brand for Sydney's observation tower) and are planning new development in Sydney to include a Madame Tussauds and a Lego discovery centre. Read the full Press Release

Last month, Merlin announced that they would build a Sealife at the Crown Centre in Kansas city. This represents a $15million investment, and is said to cover an area of 100000 square feet. Also last month, they announced a $12 million Lego Discovery Centre is to be developed at Phipps Plaza in Atlanta. Read the Press Release

On a day when Merlin Boss, Nick Varney, appeared on the BBC complaining about how taxes in the UK are affecting their business, could this signal an increase in global developments for the predominately European company?

marc

CF Legend
Very interesting, they really are trying to get up and running in the USA.

I thought the original plan was to have these things near the new Legoland but this seems to have changed.

I think it is all a good idea, but I am also not really sure what the point of the Eye in Orlando is. Apart from theme parks what else is there to see? Yes you willl get a great view of hotels and roads lol :)

What Merlin are doing is very clever as well and a good move. At the moment interest rates around the world are low as is the cost of land, so its a good time to expand. When things pick up they will have prime locations etc.

There is meant to be a new pass coming out that will cover Busch Gardens, Sea World and Legoland so I assume these new attractions will be included, I just hope they do not over price this as at the moment the Orlando pass was good value.

I wonder if they will bring out a USA pass that will cover all their USA attractions like what Six flags etc do.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
marc said:
I wonder if they will bring out a USA pass that will cover all their USA attractions like what Six flags etc do

I would highly doubt that at this stage. They're not the sort of attracations that people would buy a season pass for. Plus, with the distances involved, I can't see anyone making a massive trip especially for an observation tower or an aquarium.

The Six Flags passes work primarily because people buy them for their home park. It costs nothing for Six Flags to say, "sure, use it anywhere" because the majority of people who have the passes won't be using them for that. It's only when you get us coaster geeks buying them that they get used to their full advantage of trips to multiple parks rather than multiple entries to the same place.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
On a day when Merlin Boss, Nick Varney, appeared on the BBC complaining about how taxes in the UK are affecting their business, could this signal an increase in global developments for the predominately European company?
Out of all of what Vadge posted, that is what jumped out at me.

It would appear that Merlin parks in the UK are turning slightly stale. None of the Merlin parks are getting anything of note this year - unless you count Storm Surge - and I feel (and it's only speculation) that the only reason Thorpe are getting a B&M next year is due to a deal with B&M and it's Thorpe's turn to get a new B&M coaster (A B&M wouldn't fit in at CWoA or LL imo).

I'm going to be incredibly selfish and say that I don't want Merlin investing outside of Europe. They have a stronghold here, particularly the UK, and money diverted away from developments here is not in my personal interest. I only have a passing interest in the developments outside of Europe.

They are a business and they want to make money. If they can do that better abroad then good on them but shame on our government.

marc

CF Legend
^I can see why they get fed up tbh. The can get a lot more in the USA for £12 million than they can in the UK.

Any ride they wish to add at Thorpe requires land fill, Alton before tree height and local, Chessington locals and Green Belt.

It is a shame that not only do many parks in the UK give us value for money they don't seem to be giving Merlin a good return even though they keep making record profits.

But if they keep cutting staff in the parks in the USA and changing the staff terms and conditions they will not be to popular. Sea World for example when we went was so stupid telling us it was to cold for the coasters yet the water rides were open, I mean come on! Plus we have seen the same ride type operate in the UK in colder weather including snow.

Not really sure if I have made myself clear or not lol.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Reading back on my last post, I forgot to mention the fact that they are building a hotel at Legoland Windsor, which is obviously setting them back a bit, so perhaps they are investing for the future. BUT I WANT RIDES.

However, to stay on topic, I don't give two hoots about the Eye and SeaLife Centres in the UK, let alone anywhere else in the world. Sure, it's nice that other countries will be able to experience them, but as long as they come, spend the money and more stuff is built in Europe as a result, I'm happy with it.

Nic

Strata Poster
I think the main reason they're holding back this year is the investment for next season. I really do think that the Olympics is going to have a big influence on the UK tourist industry for next year, and I think we'll see a hell of a lot of new investment from the parks (particularly those down south) as a result. We've already seen the plans for Thorpe's new B&M... what else is there to come?!

Mark

Strata Poster
Indeed. I reckon an another land update at CWoA is quite possible too, or at least the start of.

Depends how it will all work with their 3 year investment plan thing...

Nic

Strata Poster
Well, they were planning that re-theme for Toyland this year that never happened.... so I reckon that's a fairly good bet.

(PS. I'm keeping an eye on the planning permission site for Chessie, nothing as yet)

marc

CF Legend
I agree I think I said this about a year ago.

We know Thorpe are getting something new, I bet Chessington do as well and Legoland get new stuff every year anyway lol.

I have one fear for 2012 and that is how much will the charge for the pass?

Nic

Strata Poster
marc said:
I have one fear for 2012 and that is how much will the charge for the pass?
They'll be counting on making most of their money next year from full price on-the-gate tickets. Afterall, I'm sure a lot of people who go on holiday don't bother to check for vouchers and stuff before they leave. Plus, I'm sure they wouldn't bother to buy an annual pass unless its obviously aimed at tourists (like the Orlando ones). Ok, so I know a lot of us do those things, but we're not the same type of people they're going to be counting on next season.

marc

CF Legend
I think they will push them for people coming over in 2012 thought due to the London attractions, so I am just worried they might put the price up. I see what you mean though, they will also want people paying full price on the day at these places. But if they can get £150 for a pass and people only go to three places Merlin are quids in.

I am talking about the London Eye etc which has been seen all round the world. They are going to make so much money on that.

But saying that the normal one would be no good for August so people wanting one would have to go for the more expensive one.

2012 is going to be a huge year for them what ever happens.

Nic

Strata Poster
Plus, I doubt the average visitor would even know that the attractions are related. Not without doing some research. I know they usually have AP posters up somewhere in each attraction, but if you're in a foreign country, how much attention are you really going to pay to that?

marc

CF Legend
If people go to the Eye they will get offered tickets for the Sea Life Centre etc. I see what you mean and yes the pass probably wont be pushed on them at all.

The Eye will probably be the one attraction they would visit though out of them all.

Many probably have never even heard of Thorpe.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You'll be surprised how many people clue themselves before taking a holiday abroad.

According to a quick investigation, 75% of people book their own holidays nowadays which indicates people research where they are going.

When I went to the States in 2007, it made financial sense to buy a Cedar Fair pass than buy tickets individually at the parks.

Foot numbers will go up in 2012 in the UK, but anybody with half a brain wont be paying full price.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^People will be coming over for the olympics though, so all of their holiday planning will be based around that and sightseeing in London. If they find themselves with extra time, and hear about Thorpe then (more likely for most than planning it as part of their trip), then they'll be heading there on the hoof and buying full-price. They may well stumble on a 2-4-1, but they won't be searching them out.

marc

CF Legend
What is strange is if you do a search on Google for things to do in London the Eye does not even come up lol.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Surely I'm not the only one getting sick of Varney's bitching about VAT now?

I don't think anyone seriously believes that if VAT on tourism was cut to 5% tomorrow, we'd see gate prices fall by 15%.

At least he's stopped citing free museums and other educational attractions as a reason for his business' great struggle.

They guy is your typical right-wing fat cat who must undoubtedly be furious that a majority Conservative government isn't in power.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
On the Orlando I-Walk, Merlin is supposedly opening 3 attractions - “Madame Tussauds”, “The Orlando Eye” & a yet-to-be named attraction. The two bets are either another “Sea Life Center” or “The Orlando Dungeon”, but I just don't see a “Sea Life Center” being able to co-exist with SeaWorld. However an “Orlando Dungeon” would be the only year-round attraction of it's kind in the USA (as far as I know). Does anyone know why Merlin is holding off on mentioning the third attraction? With an investment of this size you would think that such decisions, as to what that attraction will be, would have been made.
Here's the concept art for I-Walk.
i-walk-the-orlando-eye-big.jpg

Ollie

CF Legend
I hope they DONT make a Dungeon.
What major history does Orlando have to make into a Dungeon?
At least in Britain you have stuff like Sweeney Todd, Jack the Ripper and loads and loads of history.