What's new

Merlin make a record profit

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just seen on the BBC news that Merlin have made a profit of £770m.

The manager of Merlin will be on BBC1 about 7:40-7:50. I doubt he'll mention the theme parks much but worth watching anyway.

Can't find any news links yet though.

Apparently the reason for record profits is down to the "staycations" during 2010.

More info as I find it.

EDIT: Where better to look than thier website?
http://www.merlinentertainments.biz/en/ ... c2009.aspx

Highlights include a 9.7% increase in visitors, 60% increase in Annual Pass sales, capital investment of £101.2m during the year.

davidm

Strata Poster
Good.

Hope they spend it all on B&Ms.

</fanboy>

(EDIT : That £770M is the revenue tho', not the profit)

A

Anonymous

merlin

merlin is the second most profitable entertainment company on the planet an with how many theme park around the world they have it should be only disney is higher than it

A

Anonymous

i personally think that saw wasn't a let down its by far the best ride in the park and probably the 2nd best in the country. We will just have to wait and see about 13.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I've honestly always felt that Merlin are only second since they own so many places...

Still, good to see that they're making money, hopefully in turn that means more budgets for the parks so we get much better attractions... If they want to beat Disney, they have to play like Disney do, and give us attractions that give us everything to an extremely high standard...

Will that happen? Just have to wait and see...

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
So they give us Saw: The Letdown and Th13teen: The Possible Letdown.
EDIT: Th13teen: The Probably Letdown

Seeing as 7:40-7:50 has passed, did anyone catch it to tell us what he said?

Waffleman

Mega Poster
peep said:
No, but just found the article on BBC News.

Link times lay here
Thank you! It does kinda make out that their building a proper Legoland in Manchester, though..
I'm not saying it's not good that Merlin are making loads of money, but I'd rather be hearing about how much independent theme parks, like Lightwater Valley and BPB, are making.