What's new

Merlin Disability Passes

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
A lot of people are unaware that if they have a minor disability (so long as it is registered) then they are entitled to free entry to Merlin attractions, including Thorpe Park, Chessington World Of Adventures and Alton Towers. They are also entitled to receive a Merlin band which means they will not have to queue for ANY of the rides, they may simply use the ride exit to immediately access the ride. The only term with the band is that once the band holder has used the band on a ride they may not use it for the amount of time shown in the queue board (for example 90 minutes) Annual pass holders may also get a friend into the park for free. Of disabilities, the park lists...

Diabetes
Epilepsy
Injury and recovery injury
Those unable to ride alone
Heart conditions
Muscle conditions
Back conditions
Sufferers of migraines
Those unable to walk for long periods
Asthma suffers (records must be shown)
Suffers of autism or Aspergers syndrome

My friend has diabetes and he has an annual pass (which was discounted) so we are able to get into the park for free every time and we are able to get on all of the rides numerous times, even when the queues are large.

A lot of people were unaware that they could use this system because they didn't think being diabetic or having epilepsy was a disability.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Sorry - but I think soshouldme of these are taking the pi$$ of a service that should be for people who are unable to use the queues.

Physical disabilities. recovering from injuries,and exrtreme forms of autism - fair enough, got no complaints about those people having passes.

diabetes and asthma, however - are just inconvenient and shouldn't really prevent you from queing, and why should sufferers get unlimited free entry?

Also - I have the major signs of aspergers syndrome - no diagnosis yet, but If I did get one, I wouldn't want to use it to jump the queues.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Where did you find this info btw?

Obviously this is in place already but I've never seen or heard an actual list be given, what interests me the most is the asthma one...

That and also that the injuries on the list are also on the warning signs on most rides in regards to that you shouldn't ride with these injuries :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
My older brother has a physical disability which means he looses his balance easily and can't walk or stand for too long. This is why it's fair that we get the bands as he can't stand in long queues as there's nowhere to sit down.
What I don't get is why others get it when they're disability clearly doesn't affect them. Like I saw group of people go on Vampire once up the exit because one of them had his arm in a sling or something. I mean, that doesn't affect you queueing or anything does it?

When we first found out about the system (back in 2003) there was no limit and you could just go round all the rides and go on them as many times as you wanted. The only thing you couldn't do was return to the 'same' ride until the length of the queue had passed. So say you went on Air and the queue was 45 mins. You couldn't return to that ride until that time had passed. But you could go on all the other rides which meant by the time you got back in a rotation that time had passed which meant we always got a huge ride count.

Now Thorpe and Chessington have a system where you can't return to any of the top (8?) attractions until the time of your last ride has expired. Which is fair as it means the time you would of spent queueing you can use to sit down and relax or enjoy the other family/smaller attractions.

So yeah, it's good the parks have such a system if someone has a physical disability like my older brother but most of those on that list are stupid and people should get the same treatment.

As for the annual passes. Last time we renewed them we had to pay full price for mine and my younger brothers. My older brother got a discount and my dad got the free pass as he's the carer. But that AP doesn't have a photo on it which is good as anyone over 18 can be a carer if we ever go to the park without my dad.

Aerith

Mega Poster
People who come down to Vampire with just headaches. . . . Which i have to let on, then deal with other peoples complaints. . .

I am not amused. . . . .

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
If you can't walk or stand properly, or you're a bit of a mental and can't wait for long periods without flipping out, then by all means go ahead of me. Otherwise, **** right off and wait like the rest of us.

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
To be a carer you must be over 16 years old not 18 years. I am 17 and they accept me as Josh's carer. And you are given the list of disabilities in the terms pack when you pick up your bands. Josh has diabetes and he can't queue up for very long. He has to have required amounts of sugar in his blood and its difficult in long queues for him. Its interesting that they pass asthma as a disability. But I suppose if someone had a severe asthma attack in a very long queue then it would be difficult to reach them. Its a bit of a pain that you can't use any of the big rides until the time you are given by the op but at least you get on the rides you want to without having to stand in the heat all day. Plus you can use the family rides all day with unlimited access.

jayjay

Giga Poster
CoasterKing said:
Suffers of autism or Aspergers syndrome

Oh, so technically I could use this then? :?

Right. Anybody who has met me will know that I am perfectly capable of leading a normal life, which means I can queue quite happily with everybody else. Why should I get the same priveledge that a wheelchair bound person would get when, although I technically have a mental condition, there is blatantly nothing wrong.

I bet this system gets abused by the people who know about it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Before posting. Make 100% sure you're 100% correct.

Each park is slightly different and will treat you in a slightly different manner.

To "queue jump" officially you should have a disabled blue card which show your registration as disabled. However the customer services are lax, and a well explained problem will be taken.

All parks have an official "ambulant" rule. If you can physically manage the queue, then you queue. Again, they are lax.

Chessington and Thorpe are running cards this year. You have a card with all the rides on. When you use a disabled entry to a ride, they mark the time onto he card, and the queue length. You cannot use the card to queue jump until the time of entry to ride, plus queue time has expired. You CAN take four carers with you though.

Alton still run the old scheme. A disabled person collects a wrist band and five other carers can register and carry a blue. The disabled person plus one carer may then use the disabled exit for the ride.

The rules are supposed to be the same for all Merlin sites. Only non-ambulant disabilities (or those proven unable to queue), and return to the next ride only outside the queue time of the ride skipped.

It is NOT a queue skipping option - it is designed to ensure that disabled people and carers have the same fair access as normal patrons.

Before using a disability at an attraction, be sure to visit guest services (or call beforehand) and understand exactly the rules laid down by the particular park. It is designed so that the system is fair for everyone!

The entry is a different matter. The disabled (clearly disabled) patron enters at a reduced rate if they require an assistant. The assistant gains free entry with them.

Merlin annual passes are at a reduced rate for disabled guests and they get two cards, one is for any person assisting said disabled guest.

Family_Furie with SSIL_Furie have been using this for many years. I first used it with a (now sadly passed away due to his disability) friend from university in 1995. SSIL_Furie cannot cope 100% safely in a park without a helper, but she certainly does abuse the systems. The Thorpe and Chessington system works very well, and I wish it would be implemented across all Merlin parks.

Proof of the need for her to have a helper? Stuck on Colossus for the best part of an hour and needing to be evacuated. She needed somebody to communicate what was happening and what to do. Likewise, her disease leaves her blind in the dark and she has tunnel vision, so she needs help being guided through anything narrow, or dark.

Aerith

Mega Poster
If there going to give out exit passes for vampire just because someone has a headache. . . .

Well wouldn't common sense say not to go down there anyway? Since vampire is a rough ride and alsohas loud station music, If there willing to go on it and have a headache then that's just proof that they cannot be in that much pain!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ah, me and Ali had a bit of an incident involving these passes at Thorpe on Sunday.

We were in the FastTrack queue, when we were suddenly pushed to one side by a group of chavs yelling 'Are you disbaled? Cos we're disabled. We need to go to the front of the queue' They then proceeded to push to the front of the *extremely small* FastTrack queue.

Basically, knowing the rules of the passes that CoasterKing has posted, I assumed one of them must have diabetes or something as none of them were obviously disabled. Laughing at their rudeness I just brushed it aside as meh, we'll get on in a minute.

Ali, on the other hand, harmlessly decided to do this:

*In the spirit of The IT Crowd* 'Oh, I'm disabled!'

Chav1: Wot you sayin' mate?
Ali: Wasn't talking to you mate *sniggers*
Chav1 then proceeds to square up to Ali but then backs down because I started laughing at how ridiculous it all was.

Needless to say the stupid chavs didn't know how to work their disabled pass and hadn't waited to correct amount of time and couldn't ride.

Karma =]

I think these passes are a good idea, as long as they're not abused. It helps make the day more enjoyable for the people unfortunate enough to have disablilities without limiting the group they're with.

Pierre

Strata Poster
LOL this is what me & Sam used at Ghosterforce with them random girls we met in the pub, they blagged an epilepsy pass, they were very lax on using them too...

For example if Stealths queue was 90 minutes and you used it, they'd write the time used and queue time at the time and you aren't allowed to go on it for another 90 minutes... but it was rarely done, and when it was we could just go on the other stuff anyways!

Steven

Giga Poster
I have epilepsy, my mum has migraines. We do not come under the disability act for that. When I say migraines I been migraines.
Though I will admit my mums cdif. does make her disabled so she does have to leave some queues that are over 1 hour Parks tend not to believe us until we show mums radar key. So they could loosen up on that rule as we normally have to get a manager.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Official Chessington stance on this:
Chessington WOA Disability Rule said:
Dear Guest

Our disabled policy is offered to assist those that are unable to queue in the main queue line, providing them with alternative access point to allow easier access to rides wherever possible.

The policy has now become widely used by guests for whom the service is not a necessity and subsequently, those guests that require this policy as a priority, have not been receiving the assistance as it was intended.

It is with this in mind that the disabled ride access policy has been reviewed and ammended. Effective of March 2009, those guest that are physically anable to queue or stand for sustained periods of time, those that are unable to access the main queue line and those that mentally do not understand the concept of queueing, will be the only guests that we will provide with the ride access policy and wristband at Chessington World of Adventures and Zoo.

All guests will be required to re-register with Guest Services in Market Square and provide photographic identification along with either: a letter from own doctor or consultant clearly stating why the guest is unable to queue or photographic identification issued by registered organisation or charity that states what the disability is.

Guest services reserves the right to make decision based on requirement for this service on for health and saftey reasons.

Photographic identification will be required to be presented to Guest Services on all subsequent visits or guests will not be provided with Ride Access Pass and wristband.

Guest Services will be avaliable to offer assistance to all disabled guests with ride seftey and general park access information.

We do hope you understand that these changes are to improve the service provided to those
guests for which this provides a safe and magical day out.

Yours sincerely

Guest Services Team
Chessington World of Adventures and Zoo.

As I said, you have to check with the park before you use this. There is certainly at Thorpe and Alton a desire by guest services to just give away the system.

Chessington and Legoland are clamping down on it this year (according to talk and a disability forum) and are only letting those who can prove to have trouble standing in a queue to queue jump (see the letter from Chessington above).

So, always contact the park in advance and know their rules on this - don't just take anyone's word as posted here (including mine!!!) - it's all down to the individual park, and often down to an individual guest services staff member!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've started so I'll finish :lol:

Official Alton Rules on Disabled guests:
Alton's disability rules said:
Admission Rates
In order to fairly accommodate all our guests, those who are able to provide documentary proof of disability* will be able to purchase discounted Theme Park tickets for themselves and up to two helpers. At least one helper must be aged 14 or over if physical assistance is required and must accompany the guest on each ride, as in the interests of everyone’s safety, our employees will leave all lifting of the guest with a disability in the capable hands of their helpers. If no physical assistance is required, there is no age restriction for a helper as long as they can provide the guest with a disability with the required safety information and any necessary assistance with any emergency or evacuation procedures.
Several of our ticket booths and Guest Services (at the top of Towers Street) contain induction loops – please look for the signs. Guests in wheelchairs should use the gates adjacent to the turnstiles, when entering the Theme Park. Please do not hesitate to speak to one of our employees for assistance.

Ride Access
On application, guests with a disability may also be eligible to special access wristbands (documentary proof of disability* required). These wristbands are available from Guest Services (at the top of Towers Street) where our employees will also be available to provide advice on facilities and access issues. The wristbands allow guests, who due to the nature of their disability are unable to use the standard queue line, preferential access to rides/attractions via points highlighted in the table overleaf, which are designed for ease of access. A maximum of four wristbands will be issued to helpers, with a maximum of two helpers being allowed to accompany the guest with a disability onto a ride at any one time. Helpers will not be permitted to use these preferential access points unless they are accompanying a guest with a disability onto the ride/attraction. The provision of admission discounts and special access wristbands is entirely at the discretion of the Alton Towers Resort.

Thorpe Disabled Access guide said:
Buying Tickets / Entering the Park

* Those who are able to provide documentary proof of disability (i.e. blue/orange badge or similar) will be able to purchase discounted tickets to the Park for themselves and up to a maximum of two Helpers.
* Several of our ticket booths contain induction loops - please look for the signs.
* If you need assistance with purchasing your tickets, please do not hesitate to speak to a Host at the Admissions area.
* Guests in wheelchairs should use the right hand gates at the turnstiles for wider access.
* Annual Pass Holders with with a registered disability have the option of a free carer pass. See the Annual Pass web site for details.

Ride Access

* Guests with disabilities who are unable to use the normal queue lines, may visit our Guest Services Office where they may be able to receive preferential ride access wristbands (documentary proof of disability will be required). These wristbands allow preferential access to most of the rides via entry points designed for ease of access.
* Please note that Helpers/companions will not be allowed preferential access unless they are accompanying a guest with a disability onto the ride.
* Please make yourself known to a Ride Host on arrival at the access points, or use the yellow courtesy phones where provided.
* For safety reasons, the number of guests with disabilities permitted on certain rides at any one time may be limited. Therefore you may be asked to divide your party into smaller groups, and possibly experience a wait before you board.
* In certain situations (such as extreme weather conditions, mechanical problems or power interruptions), it may be necessary for guests to be evacuated from the rides, possibly from the highest point. The icons C and X are used in the table overleaf to indicate what is involved in evacuations and whether particular rides are suitable.

Helpers / Companions

* For safety reasons, Guests with disabilities are required to have at least one Helper over the age of 16 accompany them onto the rides.
* Disabled guests who are unable to walk unaided, require two carers to accompany them onto a ride. One of the carers must be at least 14 years of age. Carers must be apble to assist disabled Guests with loading and offloading (including their transfer from wheelchairs).
* Helpers accompanying Guests with disabilities onto the rides are required to sit in the same carriage, boat, seat or row as the disabled Guest they are assisting.
* Helpers must be able to assist disabled Guests with loading and offloading (including their transfer from wheelchairs). Our Hosts will give full instructions, but for everyone's safety, we will leave all lifting to the Helpers.
* Helpers must also be able to communicate any safety restrictions and messages, and assist with any emergency or evacuation procedures, which may involve the lifting and transfer of the disabled guest from the ride carriage into an evacuation chair at high level.
* Please refer to the guide for further information on number of Helpers/Companions allowed at the same time.

Legoland (be prepared, this one is heavily detailed and well thought out)
Legoland disabled policy said:
Facilities and Services

- Car park for guests with disabilities is situated near the entrance, follow the signs to the Disabled Car Park.
- Free admission for registered personal assistants with documented proof of disability. The personal assistant is to help the Guest with disabilities to maximise their day, especially while waiting for the rides and attractions. If there are other members of the party that require accompaniment such as children under the height restrictions we recommend an additional adult visits the park. Documentation is required and some questions will be asked to understand your individual requirements and enable us to advise you on how to make the most of your day. Please be advised we will not judge people on their physical appearance and so do require documentation for all disabilities.
- All ticket booths have induction loops, please look for the signs and adjust the hearing implement accordingly. Copies of the Guide for Guests with Disabilities are available from the ticket booths.
- Guests in wheelchairs can enter the turnstiles through one of two gates at either end of the turnstiles. Please ask a member of staff for assistance if required.
- Accessible toilets throughout the park. Each toilet has an alarm cord that can be activated in an emergency.
- Fully accessible restaurants and shops, please ask a member of staff for assistance if required. There are specific wheelchair areas at each show venue. Please make yourself known to the ushers at each show. These areas are on a first come first served basis. The view may be restricted. We suggest to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the show starting.
- First Aid facilities are available throughout the park and medication/treatment rooms are located in LEGO® City
- Manual wheelchair hire is available on a first-come first-served basis from outside The LEGO Big Shop, just inside the turnstiles. A returnable deposit is required. We regret that wheelchairs hired from LEGOLAND cannot be taken past the turnstiles into the car parks.
- At the current time we do not have electric wheelchairs. As LEGOLAND is situated on a steep hill we recommend that users of mobility scooters or electric wheelchairs take care and drive with caution. The majority of queue lines can accommodate a mobility scooter. If you have any concerns using such a vehicle around the park please visit Guest Services on the day of your visit.
- Assistance dogs are welcome in to the park, however, dogs will not be able to accompany guests onto the rides. Please ensure the dog is left with another member of your group and not left unattended.

Rides and Attractions

- Ride restrictions are based on the containment of the ride, the force of the ride and the method of evacuation. These are set with the advice of external Ride Inspectors and exceptions will not be made.
- Some rides require either upper or lower body control:
Upper body control – requires the rider to be able to support / brace themselves in case of sudden change of direction, hold onto the restraints during the ride or evacuation.
Lower body control – requires the rider to be able to support themselves and walk unaided over a certain distance.
For further assistance please contact the Attractions Duty Manager or Guest Services on the day of your visit for full details on the ride or evacuation procedure.

- Wheelchair users may remain within their chair on the following rides and attractions: Aero Nomad, Orient Expedition, Digger Challenge, Hill Train, Enchanted Forest, Rat Trap, Loki’s Labyrinth and X-Box Zone.
- Many rides and attractions are accessible to wheelchair users via entrance lines. The following rides must be entered via the exit by wheelchair users: Jungle Coaster, Sky Rider, Extreme Team Challenge, DUPLO® Train, Boating School, Laser Raiders, The Dragon, Dragon’s Apprentice and Vikings' River Splash. Please note, guests wishing to ride the Vikings’ River Splash require upper body control and there is a hoist to lower Guests into the boat. If the hoist is experiencing technical difficulties or is unavailable Guests will also require lower body control. This is due to the complicated nature of the ride evacuation.
- Please be advised due to the nature of the attraction Exit Passes are not valid on Rocket Racers.

Exit Pass Policy

Aim - To ensure all of our Guests have the opportunity to experience our rides and attractions, within a safe and secure environment.

Background - LEGOLAND Windsor has been specifically designed to be accessible for Guests with disabilities. A wheelchair can be used in the majority of queue lines, and where this is not possible there is a ramp on exit or lifts for entry. All restaurants and shops are accessible and all shows are fully accessible to all Guests. In view of this level of accessibility it is not a legal requirement to offer an exit pass scheme for all Guests with disabilities.

LEGOLAND Windsor welcomes visits by people with disabilities and will do all that is possible to ensure a safe and pleasurable visit. However, certain rides and attractions can be physically demanding and vigorous. LEGOLAND Windsor therefore reserves the right to refuse admission to certain rides should it be felt there is a danger to a particular individual for whatever reason.

LEGOLAND Windsor has been advised by the Health and Safety Executive that refusal on the grounds of health and safety does not constitute discrimination. LEGOLAND Windsor hopes this is understood and Guests accept the decision made in the interest of the safety of all Guests. The exit pass scheme that is available is offered as a concession to those who require additional assistance and is an additional service to Guests.

This policy outlines the LEGOLAND Windsor Exit Pass Policy and is in conjunction with the Guide for Guests with Disabilities. The exits of the rides and attractions are also used by Guests who have purchased Q-bots, which allow the holder to virtually queue for a ride. Please be patient as there may be a short wait to board the ride.

The Scheme - In order to ascertain whether the exit pass is required for each individual Guest, a series of questions will be asked in order to determine their specific needs. The issuance of exit passes is based upon documentary proof of disability (Blue or orange badges will not be accepted as this does not state the nature of the disability). Examples of documentation required are: GP’s letter, Association Membership details, Council run membership, or any other form that states the disability.

Guests who require a wheelchair will not receive an exit pass as all queue lines, except those mentioned below, are accessible via the main entry to each attraction. Due to the following ride queue lines having steps in the main entrance access can be gained by going through the exit of the ride, this does not require an exit pass: Jungle Coaster, Sky Rider, Extreme Team Challenge, DUPLO Train, Boating School, Laser Raiders, Dragon Coaster and Dragon’s Apprentice. It is not recommended for Guests with disabilities relating to the heart, the spine, the neck, the bladder or broken limbs to ride the majority of the rides or attractions, and therefore an exit pass will not be issued in these cases.

As a visit to the Park requires a great deal of walking it is advised that Guests with mobility problems hire a wheelchair to be able to get around the park with ease.

LEGOLAND Windsor’s exit pass policy has been designed to assist Guests’ who do not understand the concept of queuing, have difficulties with everyday social interaction, have a limited capacity to follow instruction or to understand others emotional feelings or expressions, and may become agitated or distressed having to wait for periods of time. The scheme is in place to assist families to enjoy their day in the maximum way and to relieve pressure on the family. For specific disabilities this policy applies to, please enquire at Guest Services or send an email in advance to LEGOLAND.Enquiries@merlinentertainments.biz.

Regardless of the disability all height, age and weight restrictions will be enforced prior to boarding of the ride/attraction, exceptions on the grounds of a disability will not be made. Before entering the ride at the exit Guests must check the ride restriction board at the entrance to the ride. If a Guest is required to be lifted into / or from a ride unit their personal assistants must be able to fulfil this role. LEGOLAND team members may offer advice, but for the safety of all concerned will not assist with lifting.

The Process - Guests who qualify for the exit pass scheme must go to Guest Services, either at the Beginning or in LEGO City, with some form of identification relating to their disability. For Guests with Annual Passes a note can be made on their records to reduce the need for ID on every visit. Guests with out the relevant documentation will not be issued with an exit pass.

The person who has the disability receives a red hand stamp and the rest of their party receives a black hand stamp. At the attraction the red hand stamped person and up to three black hand stamped people may use the exit of the ride. Guests at the exit may have to wait for a short time to board the attraction.

Parties of greater than four must rotate to accompany the guest with a red hand stamp and may only revisit the same attraction after one hour.
Guests with black hand stamps may only use the exit of a ride when accompanied by a red hand stamped person. The aim of the scheme is for the red hand stamped person to get maximum enjoyment from their day.
At least one Guest with a black hand stamp must sit in the same carriage, boat, seat or row as the red hand stamped person.

LEGOLAND Windsor does not conform with other theme parks within the Merlin Entertainments Group as each Park has different facilities and services. If you receive an exit pass or equivalent at other Merlin Entertainments Group theme parks you may not receive one at LEGOLAND Windsor Park.

It is appreciated that some Guests require additional assistance to ensure they can maximise their enjoyment. LEGOLAND Windsor welcomes all feedback, both positive and negative, and will, where possible, implement suggestions, comments, and solutions made by our Guests. Feedback is important to the continuation of the development of our service for all of our Guests.

Ali

Mega Poster
I have quite serious asthma (have had one attack and on many occasions had to miss school as I can barely walk without needing my inhaler), does it have to be extreme, mild average asthma to get the dissability pass.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Just to clear some stuff up about the Top 9.. or 10 card..

Pretty much a guest comes up to you with the card, You take it.. Write down the ride name, queue time and time.

This is only used on the top 10 rides in the park. Any other rides you can ride as many times as you want.

Mark

Strata Poster
In terms of buying the passes:

The way it works now is that the Disabled person still has to buy the pass and they get a second Carer pass for free. (Obviously they have to have Registered Disability paperwork and so)