What's new

Maurer Söhne

tribar

Mega Poster
How come everyone thinks their so bad. I thought Hollywood RRR was a big sucess. Are they rough, boring what's wrong with them

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
They are very hit and miss, their safety record isn't great, their successes seem to be down to fluke.

I thought Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit was a complete waste of time, space and good steel.

The spinners are pretty decent, a couple of them very good.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I dont think they're all that bad really. I love Fury and Crush, and Spinball is good too, and I only hear of good things about Formule X.

Oh, and Winjas is praised a lot too. As well as Spider and Abismo.

andrus

Giga Poster
I've only been on their spinners and they're great! :--D Don't know about the rest of their coasters...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I found their spinners to be very forceful and exciting. Other than that, I've only been on Abismo and I thought it was a great ride.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
I don't know why others are so negative about it- but I thought that HRRR was a great ride-- although there's a noticeable boring section when it treks back past the station doing the 'crowd surf', I thought it provides some good forces throughout (love the 'loop', treble cleff and the inclined helix thing), some good-ish airtime in the right seats and quite and exciting ride- the vertical ascent through the rings at speed is great. Even better if you pick a good soundtrack (Evanescence seems to match the ride sequence pretty well....)

Otherwise loved Winjas and the other spinners are pretty great too- especially the ones with original layouts! Don't forget Maurer pretty much pioneered the non-standard-Reverchon-spinner-layout spinners and paved the way for Gerstlauer, Intamin (hah.) and the rest. Agree G-force was a bit of a fail but this was at the point where the limits of their ride system were still being tested.

I'd like to see them be given more opportunity to do some bigger layouts (rather than seemingly just designing rides to be shoe-horned into awkward spaces). Maurer can do this- remember Venus?

Tony

Hyper Poster
I like their spinners and Abismo is pretty awesome! Not sure about the rest but ya, their okay.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Their spinners are somewhat variable. The one at Camelot is rough as hell, and the new one at Rainbow Magicland just doesn't really do anything, even with a weighted car.

The launched X-Car at Rainbow Magicland was surprisingly good. We need more rides like that one.

spicy

Giga Poster
I think they are yet to create a really decent coaster. I've been on crush, Fury, Spinball and G-Force and Fury is by far the best but none of them even come close to either B&M or Intamins worst efforts.

Having said that Abismo and HRRR both look decent but I think Maurer need a new coaster type if they are ever to become as big as B&M and Intamin.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Who says they want to be as big as them? They are a 'budget' manufacturer as such, offering family thrills at a much lower cost than the likes of Intamin and B&M.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ You say that but HRRR cost $45 million, I'm guessing a B&M or Intamin coaster of that size would have cost the same or maybe even less?

Of course I know that is the biggest coaster that Maurer have ever constructed and Maurer usually have a different target market than Intamin and B&M but this topic is about why are they unpopular and I was just comparing them to the most popular coaster companies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
How the hell did that cost $45m? Thats like £30m for us here, and coasters over here cost a hell of a lot more than in the States!

(TTD cost $25m...)

A

Anonymous

That sum most likely is included everything, everything from the coaster itself, to ground works, to rebuilding the buildings around the ride, to the licensing cost for the music, etc...

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
TTD was built in 2003 and requires- prices have increased a fair amount since then. Thorpe's new coaster is costing £20m c. $30m and is significantly shorter. HRRR also has a huge amount of hardware- there are 7 trains, a complex block and station system and all the trains are kitted out with a complex lighting and sound system. The coaster's also pretty long... whilst $45m seems a little steep, I wouldnt say it's waaaay off the mark- I mean, look at the Mummy- that was $40m several years earlier, and is a smaller ride system...

Also, I seem to remember that Maurer was chosen via a tendering process (potentially over B&M, who made the "equivalent" Hollywood Dream in Tokyo...) so the price must have been attractive for what they were trying to create....

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
I really like Maurers' X-cars because of their crazy layouts which can be really fun yet quite compact and I can imagine them being cheaper than B+M.

My only down point is that when I went to Drayton Manor G-force broke down at around 1 and didn't open for the rest of the day! Something wrong with the lift hill I think, but that's probably just DM being stupid and not making an effort to fix it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm not sure that "everyone" hates them at all.

G Force is appalling, but the other X-Cars I've tried have been very good (Ukko, Shock, Formule X)

A few of their spinners (Dizz, Cagliostro) are crap, most are mediocre (Crush, Sonic) but again others are very good (Dragon's Fury, Winjas).

Their Wild Mouse coasters are decent little filler rides. They're never going to break an enthusiast's top ten, but they're fun and very popular coasters.

Venus is amazing! It's one of my favourite loopers actually. It's a real shame that they never got to build any more. I just guess that most parks either already have a looper by now, whether it's an old Arrow/Vekoma or a newer B&M/Intamin, or see them as a bit old-fashioned when compared to newer ride concepts.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I really don't think they're a bad company or have a bad reputation. As far as I'm aware, they make the best spinners around. Granted Whirlwind at Camelot is a bit rough, but don't forget that this is a traveling model, and I actually really enjoyed the first drop. Sonic and Crush are pretty good too, although I believe that the majority of Crush's appeal is the theming and the fact that it's enclosed in darkness which adds a new level to the spinning coaster norm. These are the only three Maurer Spinners that I've been on, and I can quite happily say that I've enjoyed them all. Again, I've only heard good things from the likes of Fury and Winjas.

I've been on one of their "Classic" Wild Mouse coasters, which was Wild Mouse at Flamingoland. Not much to say really, it's a Wild Mouse, but it's good at being one.

G-Force is the only other Maurer that I've been on, and left me thinking "What the hell was that?!" It's far too short, too stop-start and doesn't really do much of anything, apart from the novelty factor of the humpty-bump lift. That being said, it does well in the space provided, and is much better than Klondike Gold ****.

Their rides seem to do well in the scenario that they're put into, so I don't really see what the problem is...

mouse

Giga Poster
Other than G Force, some of the X cars look fantastic, especially the one in Rainbow Magic land.
I love the spinners as well, always good fun. :)