What's new

Major Changes for Disney's California Adventure

Mark

Strata Poster
robbalvey said:
Mark said:
robbalvey said:
[

Woody and Buzz kick off the Pixar part of the show...

Really? Not in the full show (on youtube) I saw. First up was Finding Nemo (Squirt & Crush riding the EAC followed by Dorey & Marlon talking Whale) and then Wall.E (Wall.E & Eve get all space dancey) and then Toy Story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqijf6DZz4s

:p:p:p

Still, a very colourful report. Thanks.
Yes, it appears that I was wrong about the order...thank you for correcting me. Silly me, and it's even in the program guide they handed out for the event. I really should have paid more attention when I was writing that report at 3am. My bad. Again, thanks for the correction.

--Robb

No worries luv :fag:

In the other developments, its great to see the Silly Symphony Swings open and looking great too. That hideous Orange thing was my least favourite thing in the whole park...

A

Anonymous

As much as I love Pixar, I'm worried they're taking over the parks too much :? Don't get me wrong they're great films but the fact theres a Cars Land, Bugs Life land and Toy Story playland all in operation/being built around the world I'm worried they're dedicating too much space to a film especially when you add the amount of rides already associated with the characters.

Okay theres nothing coming out of the Doors at Disney's own animation studio that competes with Woody and pals right now but instead of theming lands to franchises I wish they'd save the space for the unique experiences themed upon new ideas unique to the parks.

That said, Cars land isn't the only thing in development at DCA and the whole idea of California through the ages is pretty cool! I understand they've recently done some minor renovations on GRR to make it less extreme sports and more 1920's too?

Just wish Paris would start getting this amount of love soon :(

nealbie

CF Legend
Watched the actual show full way through for the first time in the early hours of this morning and I must say it's not as seamless as I originally thought.

With the exception of Toy Story, the Pixar bits ruined the flow for me. Heimlich's part was NEVER in the movie and wasn't with his voice, bad form. And whatever the **** that music was after the Lion King part actually stopped me crying for Mufasa's death there and then - it was simply DREADFUL!

That said, I simply ADORED the use of the Hunchback music set to the Chernabog scene - it was the single best part of the piece. Pocahontas's section also was very well done (not surprising really).

A final gripe of the Wonderful World of Color (other than the ATROCIOUS spelling of course :lol: ) would be Disney almost "selling-out" to themselves in a historical way. Other than good ol' Chernabog and a short "April Showers" section from Bambi, there was no older stuff used :(

It was either flow ruining Pixar or renaissance. There were glimpses of Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Lady & The Tramp and Dumbo in the end montage - but ONLY glimpses. Was a bit disappointed at that :(

So overall I'd give it a 7/10 - must try harder Disney, must try harder!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Wow, I wasn't expecting that.

Disliked the beginning from Under the Sea and the end but the middle was incredible. Using Fantasia 2000 that much made me very impressed and the Muffassa scene was incredible. I wasn't expecting to like it this much but there we go!

I did not like the fact they used so much copy and pasted scenes from the films, but as it's a celebration of animation and colour I'll let them off. That being said, what the **** was Pirates in their for? I guess it covers films too, that scene was one of my favourites.

I gotta get here in 2012.

A very flexible show for the future too, I can see much more frequent updates and changes to this than other Disney nightime shows because of its flexibility. Not as good as Fantasmic, but better than I thought.

Brookes

Giga Poster
Do you have to book separately for World of Color? I remember reading somewhere that is was really popular and you might have to but I can't remember.

Ben

CF Legend
I *believe* what you have to do is get there early and pick up a "Fastpass", or, basically, a ticket that allows you into the viewing area for that night.

It may have changed though...

Linus

Mega Poster
Ben said:
I *believe* what you have to do is get there early and pick up a "Fastpass", or, basically, a ticket that allows you into the viewing area for that night.

It may have changed though...

Correct.

I saw the show a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. I'll be going to the park again on Friday so maybe i'll see it again. I did get wet though. They warned us before hand as we were given the choice between a front row bench and side standing.

Bench obviously(my friend was in a wheelchair, only way you can get an actual "seat".)

peep

CF Legend
Wow that Tron section is awesome. I love all the lighting on the coaster in background, very cool.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Wow, I love the Tron section! The use of California Screamin' really enhanced the experience.

Hmm, I wonder if the film will be worth checking out or whether Disney is just doing it's "LETS ADVERTISE THIS LOADS THEN WE CAN MAKE SEQUELS AND MAKE MORE MONEY! MOOOORRRREEEEE!!!!"

To be honest I hope it does bloody well so the Peoplemover track can get some usage.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Way too much stuff to post, so here's the links for those interested.

Detailed plans for the Entrance Plaza, the North Plaza, Carthay Circle & Buena Vista Street all the way back to ToT: http://www.disneylandnewstoday.com/archives/6795
Entrence-Concept-Art.png

Then there's a huge report covering everything else including the Little Mermaid...
030711-dca020-lrg.jpg

...Goofy's Sky School...
030711-dca041-lrg.jpg

...and Cars Land!
030711-dca045-lrg.jpg

http://www.westcoaster.net/updates.php?updateCD=030711

Brookes

Giga Poster
Few cool little videos here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGBC8-GkeQk&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQUXGy3HOQI&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEzW8u1ru-o&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]

Really wouldn't mind going back to California Adventure already!