What's new

'Magic Cave' Themed Attraction - Scarborough

sean

Mega Poster
There are proposals to knock down the 'Futurist' theatre in Scarborough and replace it with an attraction that will include a roller coaster and space shot. Details here...

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mai ... -1-6844320

Really hope this comes off as the 'Futurist' is dated and ugly and Scarborough desperately needs some new sea front investment.

EDIT: Sorry, link didn't work, works now though.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Why are all the new creds in the stupid north!

I jest, love all this new crap that's popping up, yay for seaside development etc.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Shame about the Futurist though. It's been on the cards for years really since it just doesn't get enough people in anymore and hasn't for a very long time.

I know the locals have been campaigning to save it, but these are the same people who haven't actually been to any shows there to actually support the place. Idiots.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
nadroJ said:

I jest, love all this new crap that's popping up, yay for seaside development etc.
At least they're all cropping up in relatively convenient locations. All the north-east seaside stuff seems to be appearing in a nice straight line between South Shields and Bridlington, so you should be able to cred run the whole lot in a day.

I just hope these plans actually go ahead.

STC

Mega Poster
It would be such a shame to see a building from 1921 demolished to build this tacky crap.

Darren B

Giga Poster
STC said:
It would be such a shame to see a building from 1921 demolished to build this tacky crap.

They could knock down Buckingham palace for all I care if it meant getting a new cred <3

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
^Rumour has it the Queen has several Big Apples and Wacky Worms in the dungeons of Buckingham Palace for her and Philip. They're secret cred whores.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^But no Go Gators? <////3

On a serious note, I don't see the issue with bringing down a disused building and making something more of the space. Plus, they're getting a cred so it makes everything good.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Same. It was on its last legs when I left Scarborough in 2001, so I'm surprised it's lasted that long.

It's a shame in that it's one of the biggest theatres in the UK, and has had some amazing people/shows there over the years, but that's long gone and it's been nothing but Chubby Brown and the **** Chuckle Brothers doing summer seasons for holiday makers for years.

Out of season, the locals just weren't using it, but now they're kicking up a fuss that their historic landmark is being torn down.

Pierre

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:

Yay, another of my day trips from Middlesbrough. I love tacky North as it is, so tacky North with tacky Creds... =D> :angel:

Temleh

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
I wonder if the Space Shot will be the one from Loudoun Castle? And maybe the coaster too?

It says the Space Shot will be a 180ft (55m) model. Loudoun's is / was 120ft. Volcano at Fantasy Island however... (or even Ice Blast, who knows).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I don't see that they'd spend so much money and effort just to shove in a ride that can't have much time left before it's due for scrap. A new shot tower doesn't cost too much.

STC

Mega Poster
It might be a crap theatre but it looks like a nice historic building inside. It would be much better as a Wetherspoons or something. This project just sounds like tat.

Ben

CF Legend
^Your idea of historic preservation is a Wetherspoons? Like that's better than a cred?!

Get out.

JamesB

Mega Poster
Interesting development:

Scarborough Council has announced that the proposed bidder for the redevelopment of the Futuristic Theatre is Flamingo Land North Yorkshire, given the working title Flamingoland Coast. There will be three distinctive enviroments.Subterranean on the Coastline and Sky, key elements an iconic glass roofed botanical garden, a high octane adrenaline fuelled roller coaster, a 55 metre iconic lighthouse structure and a space shot tower which propels customers 55 metres into the sky,an elevated sea view bar, restaurant and function space, a walk through aviary and a new town square for Scarborough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-29708165

Temleh

Mega Poster
owenrita121 said:
I hope they aren't moving cliffhanger because that's one of the parks better rides.

I disagree, the ride is old hat now to lots of people. At least on the seafront it will attract passing trade as there will be nothing else quite like it around AND they will FINALLY get to put it's red and white cladding back on!

My question is, did Flamingo Land also consider the old Marvel's site for this development?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That area gets just a tiny fraction of the traffic that South Bay gets.

The current location on the old Futurist site really couldn't get much better.