What's new

"LOL Atol", re-themed land for Drievliet

Nic

Strata Poster
Drievliet are re-theming an area of the park for this season. The new land, called LOL Atol, will be themed to a coral island. It takes in the previously space themed area, as well as the water slides, all at the front of the park, nearest to the main entrance.

(Images all taken from the park's website: http://www.drievliet.nl/)

lol%20atol%20250.jpg

The attractions are as follows:

Nautilus
nautilus2501.jpg

(previously called "Lunatic")

Kwal (Jellyfish)
kwal.jpg

(previously called "Space Loop")

Draaikolk (Whirlpool)
draaikolk560.jpg

(previously known as "Star Dancer")

Vliegende Vissen (Flying Fish)
vissen250.jpg

(previously called "Moonraker")

Glijbaan Brigade (Slide Brigade)
glijbaanbrigade250.jpg

(previously called "Super Waterglijbanen")

This area of the park was in much need of some TLC, so this is great news. The concept art looks brilliant, and I really hope they pull it off. Its great to see a park investing money on improving what they've already got, and paying particular attention to theming, rather than plonking in another ride without much thought. Hurrah!

Martyn B

CF Legend
This place is like right by the Hoek.... I really have no excuse to not go here.

From what I've seen, the park doesn't look spectaular, but it must be worth a trip for Formule X, and now this, as these concepts look quite good.

Nic

Strata Poster
Drievliet is on the outskirts of The Hague (Den Haag), which is the administrative centre of Holland and home to the UN's International Court of Justice (when people get done for war crimes and stuff, it happens here). It's not a massive park (about the size of Adventure Island, maybe), and you won't need a whole day there, but it is worth a visit. Formule X is AMAZING <3 They clearly have an interest in theming at this park too. The previous space theme was pretty rubbish, but clearly very low budget, and at least they'd made an effort. The western themed area is more like it, but also (I believe) more recent. Lets hope that they can do a fantastic job on this new area.

If you're going to Drievliet, Duinrell is only a short trip away (20-30 mins by car, I understand its about an hour by public transport). There's not a huge lot there, but its a beautiful park, and really quirky. Reminds me a lot of Wicksteed, or somewhere like Blackgang Chine. They've got a Eurofighter, and a HUGE bobsled run thing which is awesome!

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah I was thinking that I could tie this in with a trip to Duinrell, but Duinrell looks like the kind of place where'd I'd want to stay for the weekend. It looks fab, in a non-ride sense, like you say, its quirky, and has that nice European charm, with the 'different' rides that we dont see over here, plus the water park looks cool too.

Nic

Strata Poster
To be honest, I think the only fairly unusual thing they've got is the water-splash-ride-with-a-roof-on. What else have they got... a top spin and a Eurofighter, pretty common. Nautic Jets and bumper boats, just like Wicksteed. Tea tray water slide and bobsled run like Oakwood. Self propelled drop tower like Legoland. Standard Huss Frisbee like Pleasure Island... Don't get me wrong though, that's not to say it's not worth a visit. (and sorry, that sounded a lot more arsey than it was meant to) It's one of the leafiest parks I've ever been to, the surroundings are beautiful. Plus, like I say, there's several bonkers walkthroughs and stuff that are worth a look, and TONS of slides and playgrounds for messing about on. The waterpark is alright, but if you go when its busy, then you don't stand a chance of actually getting to ride anything.

If you want unusual though (and to get a bit closer to being back on topic), then Drievliet's got Twistrix. That thing is mental. It looks very tame, but believe me, it really isn't. It's got a ridiculous spin on it.

Anyway, what do people think of this new land? What do you make of the name? Would you sooner they left their existing rides alone and spent money on buying new ones? Or do you think that this is the right thing to do? To see what two of the rides used to look like (and to have a look at what the rest of the park has got to offer), have a look at our park guide
http://www.coasterforce.com/Star_Dancer
http://www.coasterforce.com/Lunatic

peep

CF Legend
Wow, if the rides look anything like the concept art then it'll look awesome. I was glad to be able to ride their breakdance but it was very slow, so I hope some maintenance is carried out so it can go faster :D

Nic

Strata Poster
I'm slightly concerned that it'll all be done on the cheap, a bit like the theming it replaces. That was essentially all made out of papier maché and sticky back plastic. I really hope it isn't though!

Lofty

CF Legend
I was planning on visiting here when I go to Walibi Holland. It looks like a really nice little park, plus, I've heard nothing but good things about their "Formule-X" ride. I may still go, it's a tie between this or The Dungeons at the moment.

Still, this new area looks really nice, I like this kind of childish under-the-sea look, it's really cute.