What's new

Lightwater Valley PTR (09/10/10)

Brookes

Giga Poster
I'm currently mid way through my California PTR, but I just thought I'd do a trip report from when I went to Lightwater Valley the other day, while it's fresh in my mind.

So, on Friday night me, my dad, mum and sister travelled up to Yorkshire to a Travelodge, ready to go to LWV on Saturday. We went as we had spare tesco clubcard vouchers that didn't come in time for when I went Flamingoland earlier in the year, so it was a bonus trip really.

Anyway, on the Saturday, we got up and went to Little Chef next to the Travelodge for breakfast, then set off for LWV. It took us about half an hour and we arrived just after 11.

P9240332.jpg

We went through the entrance using the tesco clubcard vouchers and bagged a family ticket, meaning we still have £30 left in vouchers that need to be used by the end of October. Oh well.

P9240331.jpg

After tyring to figure out the map, we headed straight for the Ultimate!

P9230321.jpg

We went straight in the station and it wasn't very long before we were on. The back like 8 rows were fenced off and were filled with petrol cans. It was weird that Miley Cyrus was playing in the station though.

P9240329.jpg

Although there was only one train running it only took one cycle before we were on and we sat somewhere in the middle of the available seats.

P9230320.jpg

I was excited to ride the Ultimate, as I wanted to see for myself if it was amazing, or just brutal.

P9240327.jpg

I have to say, it was a bit in the middle for me. The first half is quite tame, and in turn is smooth. However, the second part is one of the most intense parts of a ride I have ever experienced, but my knees kept banging on the restraint box thing. I thought it was a great ride, but was a bit too painful for me. If that second half was a bit smoother it would be amazing, but then some may say it gives it character so its personal preference I think.

P9240330.jpg

Then we went and got a coffee, before my dad and I went on Raptor Attack.

P9230324.jpg

We didn't have to wait very long before being sent down the "mine" and I thought the theming and sound effects were great. The operator's costumes also added to the overall theme.

After minimal queueing we were on, and I have to say it was an awesome ride. It was much smoother than I expected and the animatronic velociraptors were cool.

P9230323.jpg

Next up was Twister, the spinning wild mouse.

We strolled straight on and were soon travelling up the lift hill. I thought it was a fun little ride, not unique but enjoyable.

P9230322.jpg

After that, we walked back through a different route to the entrance and got our hand stamped, before going to have dinner at the Granary. The food was nice and after we went to look around some of the shops in the shopping village.

My mum bought a few things and then we went back into the park shortly after 2. We hopped on the Lightwater Express and got off by the rapids.

Next I went on Wild River Rapids with my mum and sister.

P9240325.jpg

It was walk on like everything else, and we got into the four seater boat. However, there was loads of murky water in the bottom and you couldn't put your feet down which was a bit annoying.

P9240328.jpg

Overall it was a fun ride. Not as good as other rapids rides obviously, but for what it was it was alright. Would have been more enjoyable without all the water in the boat though.

I fancied another go on Twister, so my dad and I went off to have another ride. This time it spun way more than last time and left me quite dizzy, still fun though.

P9240326.jpg

We got back on the train where we got off, and as my mum and sister looked around the shop, I went off to ride Eagle's Claw.

I hadn't ridden a KMG Afterburner before, so I was excited to ride this.

It was much more intense than I expected, it felt really fast at the bottom of the swing. It was a really long cycle as well, it seemed like it was slowing down, but then sped back up again and went really high.

After we were ready to leave, so exited the park at about quarter to 4.

Overall I thought LWV was a good park, but it doesn't really have anything that I would want to keep re-riding or enough to keep you entertained for the whole day. Hopefully the new ride for next year will hopefully improve this, and with a few more rides and maybe improved appearances of certain areas and attractions, it could become a fantastic park.

I like the scenery and how things are hidden in the forest, that feature reminded me a bit of Alton Towers. I didn't bother with the kiddie coasters as I was with family and I plan on riding them whenever I go back to ride their new coaster for next year.

Ride count:

Ultimate
Raptor Attack
Twister x2
Lightwater Express
Wild River Rapids
Eagle's Claw

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Nice PTR. It's always interesting to see peoples reactions to The Ultimate - I know mine was some of both shock and amazement, but I was stuck on it for another hour or so :p

I agree that LWV hasn't quite got the re-rideability factor - unless you are willing to be battered by T'Ultimate.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Overall I thought LWV was a good park, but it doesn't really have anything that I would want to keep re-riding or enough to keep you entertained for the whole day.

Thats my main problem with the park too. The Ultimate is the only real re-ride-able ride, but your limited on that too for bone breakage!lol

Did you not bother with the TopScan? And you think Ultimate is painful in the middle? You should have gone to the front....!

Brookes

Giga Poster
Cheers for the comments guys, it seems that LWV need to get some sort of ride that is re-rideable, something like a Eurofighter maybe?

And Whirlwind, the Top Scan, was removed in late September so I wasn't able to ride it. As I said though I thought Eagle's Claw was awesome, looks the best flat out of the selection.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Bloody ell, the Topscan didn't even open until about June, and it was removed in Sept! It should have been a 'new for (part of) 2010'!

jayjay

Giga Poster
Lightwater need to stop with the temporary rides. That Topscan was, for a short while, the best flat in the park in my opinion (obviously T'Ultimate > Whirlwind). Really intense setting and great fun. Hopefully, this new Vekoma that they're getting could draw in new customers.

I agree that Lightwater isn't the best park for re-riding. I can do The Ultimate a few times, but that's about it.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
Bloody ell, the Topscan didn't even open until about June, and it was removed in Sept! It should have been a 'new for (part of) 2010'!

It opened in April.

John Armitage's Thunderdome Waltzer has been brought in until the end of the season.

waltzer1.jpg